2024 Paris Olympics

39 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

You don’t know the future. By then they can probably reanimate Jesse Owen’s or jim Thorpe. That would top Ali.

Nope.

The only Jesse Owens thing to come close to the hulking, loquacious entertainer and civil rights activist reduced to a trembling shell of the man he once was, would be a hologram of the story of Jesse Owens’ childhood of discrimination and then overcoming that to win four golds in front of Adolph Hitler, only to return to the U.S. where once again he experienced discrimination as he stayed home while all of the white Olympic medalists were invited to the White House to be photographed with the president. 

And then videos of discrimination today. 

And that isn’t going to happen. 

Gonna need a source to confirm this man. Don't post some shit in jest that brings me joy only for me to find out it's lies...  that's just cruel dude.

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/olympics/breaking-cut-los-angeles-olympics-new-sports-2028/507-4b379ce0-43df-440f-b5f1-bd81b5a4207a#lzqzirt56fqt4d2q2a2

“It was a miracle we were even in Paris to begin with.”

No shit.

Cmon pickleball.
  • Like 1

There's a way to cast attention to the plight of Black athletes in the U.S. while also marking that Black Olympians have been winning medals for their country for over 100 years.  Long before they broke the color barrier in collegiate and professional sports.  You can tell a story with good and and make it compelling.  In fact, it's the basis for almost human literature, cinema, and art.  

Owens had a hard enough time in his home country, gets the call for Berlin.  Thinks "I hear Europeans are some enlightened folks...let's do this!"  Then he gets to Berlin in 1936, sees the early warning signs of ethnic cleansing/master race propaganda and probably though, "Are you fucking kidding me?"  

There was an unbelievably well done traveling exhibit on the Berlin Games about 10-12 years ago.  It was actually housed in the Stark Center in the NEZ for a few months.  It was co-curated by several German historians.  It showcases all aspects of the games from the buildup to the competitions to the geopolitical implications.  They don't awkwardly try to insert Hitler's dogma into a panel about the Discus or Archery.  But there are sections that get deep into what sport meant to society, and vice-versa.  They did not shy away from the plight of Jewish athletes, Black athletes, Asian athletes, and others.  Every four years, every German grammar school student learns about the shame of the 1936 games, and then the horrors of the 1972 games.  They don't teach it to make the kids feel bad about their heritage.  They embrace the lessons that demonstrate when a Dictator starts talking about the physical superiority of his athletes versus the world, what he really means is the overall genetic superiority of his people.  They think better, build better, learn better, wage war better, worship better.  /rant

Nobody wants a 2.5 week lecture in the ugly parts of sports history.  But you can weave some of it into the overall games with ease and thought-provocation.  I think there'll be a big celebrity element, not just for ratings.  But many foreign guests, despite claiming they're attending for the Canoe and Handball, they'll be quietly expecting lots of famous people.  There's geographic beauty and a few cool buildings in SoCal, but it's not worth trying to go toe-to-toe with Paris or Athens.  I think they'll gloss over it.  Former U.S. Olympic star power should get a lot buzz considering how many grew up/trained in California.  Another cool thing could be having exhibition games (or for medals) at the two pro baseball stadiums, and/or pre-season football game for shits 'n giggles (towards the end of the games when pre-season starts anyway).  And the concert lineup at night should be filthy good given all the venues and summer tours that roll thru SoCal anyway. 

I guess I should start my protest/boycotts now just to be safe.   

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 10:01 PM, WBT said:

Early candidate to light the torch?

Bob Beamon will be 81 in 2028.  Still holds the Olympic record in the long jump set in 1968 and his jump is still the 2nd all time unassisted by wind.

He jumped almost two feet past the world record.

Imagine taking off at the 10 yd line and landing close enough to the goal line to grab the pylon as you come in for a landing.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m interested in the difference in criteria.

WSJ has us 2nd

Yeah, I've gotta go with the WSJ on that one. Washington had 15 medalists among current and former students, not 3 (2G, 3S, 10B). So - Texas to the podium!

22 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

How did that come to be, again?  I can't imagine there aren't softball complexes near southern California.

Apparently, it was done in an effort to keep construction costs down, since an expensive, new softball facility might not be sustainable for LA in the long term. Seems very random, but it does give people a once-in-a-lifetime ability to attend an Olympic event. 

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Apparently, it was done in an effort to keep construction costs down, since an expensive, new softball facility might not be sustainable for LA in the long term. Seems very random, but it does give people a once-in-a-lifetime ability to attend an Olympic event. 

Oklahomans not people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2024 at 1:46 PM, TreatyOak said:

I am sure there is a university within 50 miles who could upgrade. Or anywhere in California.

Call MLB. Turn the Giant's stadium into a softball field for the games. I hear the Athletics facility might be available. or play games in all of the California MLB parks to share the burden and travel for the teams. That would be a cool trip. Softball in San Fran, LA and San Diego in one week? On the train to each? I am in. And it is not the weather. People complain about the College WS heat every year.

They can turn baseball fields into hockey rinks. I am sure they can modify one for Softball.

"hey, lets show off to the world LA, and Oklahoma."

Does not make sense. If I can think of this on a half cup of coffee on a Sunday after being up most of the night with a dog with the shits I hope the US Olympic committee can. If not where do I send my CV?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2024 at 1:22 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

How did that come to be, again?  I can't imagine there aren't softball complexes near southern California.

Someone on the committee has a serious meth problem?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I am sure there is a university within 50 miles who could upgrade. Or anywhere in California.

Call MLB. Turn the Giant's stadium into a softball field for the games. I hear the Athletics facility might be available. or play games in all of the California MLB parks to share the burden and travel for the teams. That would be a cool trip. Softball in San Fran, LA and San Diego in one week? On the train to each? I am in. And it is not the weather. People complain about the College WS heat every year.

They can turn baseball fields into hockey rinks. I am sure they can modify one for Softball.

"hey, lets show off to the world LA, and Oklahoma."

Does not make sense. If I can think of this on a half cup of coffee on a Sunday after being up most of the night with a dog with the shits I hope the US Olympic committee can. If not where do I send my CV?

The largest softball stadium in Southern California seats 2000 peeps, whereas the facility in Oklahoma City is world-class. Also, a rowing event will also take place in Oklahoma City, which maintains a great facility, whereas LA had none. With baseball returning to the games in 2024, perhaps the committee was only able to reserve one large stadium. I honestly don't know.

But the stated goal of these LA Olympic Committee (and one of the reason they won) was a promise not to build any additional infrastructure. Paris accomplished the same goal. The idea is to avoid the horrors of Athens and Brazil, with large, expensive facilities being built, then permanently sitting vacant. There are articles about it and I will read up on it. 

Edited by TreatyOak

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

The largest softball stadium in Southern California seats 2000 peeps, whereas the facility in Oklahoma City is world-class. Also, a rowing event will also take place in Oklahoma City, which maintains a great facility, whereas LA had none. With baseball returning to the games in 2024, perhaps the committee was only able to reserve one large stadium. I honestly don't know.

But the stated goal of these LA Olympic Committee (and one of the reason they won) was a promise not to build any additional infrastructure. Paris accomplished the same goal. The idea is to avoid the horrors of Athens and Brazil, with large, expensive facilities being built, then permanently sitting vacant. There are articles about it and I will read up on it. 

I get it. New facilities is not great especially for sports people don't play. But Softball  is expanding in the US at a higher level. Would seem like a great time for UCLA or USC to say fuck it, lets build a facility.

And rowing? Um, California is on the coast AND has mountains. I think they could make one that would then get used year round. If it is a regional investment I don't see an issue with new facilities. Those would get used after I am sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I get it. New facilities is not great especially for sports people don't play. But Softball  is expanding in the US at a higher level. Would seem like a great time for UCLA or USC to say fuck it, lets build a facility.

And rowing? Um, California is on the coast AND has mountains. I think they could make one that would then get used year round. If it is a regional investment I don't see an issue with new facilities. Those would get used after I am sure.

I don't know how they arrived at their decision to hold Canoe Slalom and Softball in OKC, but since LA was successful in securing the first Summer Olympics to be held in the US for over 30 years, I am going to trust their judgement.

We had better freaking clean house in the 2028 3v3 basketball medal standings, or I am sending an angry letter to The NY Times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I don't know how they arrived at their decision to hold Canoe Slalom and Softball in OKC, but since LA was successful in securing the first Summer Olympics to be held in the US for over 30 years, I am going to trust their judgement.

We had better freaking clean house in the 2028 3v3 basketball medal standings, or I am sending an angry letter to The NY Times. 

I like the suggestion of Lebron, his kid and the captain of the US Para-Olympic BBall Team.

Yes, Break Dancing is not going to be part of 2028, but dammit, how I want revenge. We did not get 1 medal?

Season 3 Planning GIF by The Simpsons

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/18/2024 at 6:03 PM, TreatyOak said:

Once we get Derka on the 3v3 team, the gold is ours. 

Ben Stiller Basketball GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...