Crowdstrike Outage a/k/a Everything's Fucked

RPM

There's no way in hell I would have stayed at the airport that long.  I'd rent a car and just drive or book with another airline.  Delta is useless when they have a scheduling snafu.  We got stuck in JFK last year with them and ended up finding our own way home.  Delta fixing it for you involved waiting in a line that was multiple planes of people deep that 2 Delta employees were helping.

American still keep sending me boarding information on my upcoming flight. I could not cancel it on the app Friday. It was so screwed up that it would not allow me to contact American personnel. Four days later, it won’t let me cancel my already canceled the flight that the gate agent assured me was canceled Friday. Waiting on the live chat to help me is over a two hour wait. That makes it easier than a phone call which is even a longer wait

it is extremely annoying.  

My mom (75) had an early flight on Sunday from Austin to Kansas City, with a connection in Atlanta (stupid) booked a month ago on Delta. She was supposed to be there at a specific time to get picked up by a specific relative hence the narrowed choice of airline and connection point.

Dropped her off at the airport at 330a cst. Flight was listed as on-time. She got on the flight and flew to Atlanta, arriving about 930a est. Next flight was supposed to leave at 1030a est but was delayed and then canceled. Put her in standby (with 47 other people) for a 1pm flight. That was canceled. Told her 3pm. 445p she texted me that she just boarded a plane and they upgraded her to 1st Class.

It's a 2 hour flight so I texted her at 7p to see if she made it to KC. Nope. Turns out the pilot was over his max hours for the day and they couldn't find another pilot so they pulled everyone back off the plane. Told her next update wouldn't be until 1130p est. Then they said it would be a 1am flight, but then that was canceled. Then it became 8am est.

At this point we were talking about coming back to Austin but there were no flights back either. Other airlines had limited flights back, but even a one-way ticket was listed at over $1000. I was seriously talking about making the 14-hour drive to Atlanta to bring her back home - especially if she was going to be stranded there a couple days. Told her to call me if the 8am flight didn't happen.

8am flight got canceled. She didn't call. Got a text at 945 cst that she was on a plane again and hoped they'd actually take off this time. Couple hours later she let me know she'd made it to KC. 25 hour layover. They didn't even offer a hotel. She slept in the airport.

Dumbest thing was that her suitcase made it to KC 20 hours before she did. Somehow it got on a plane but she didn't. She had taken a very small suitcase as a carryon but they made her check it for the 1st flight, citing no room on the plane. It had her phone charger and hearing aids charger inside and she was trying to charge her phone using the very slow airport shit.

She's supposed to fly back on Friday via American with a connection in DFW. I'm prepared to drive to either KC or DFW if I have to. Hopefully this shit is fixed by then.

• Hook 'Em 1

Have any of y'all had problems rebooking cancelled flights? A friend is saying that he is having problems but that sounds like bullshit to me.
Depends on the airline and where you're going or flying out of. I couldn't find a flight out of Atlanta for my mom on Sunday after her connecting flight got canceled and each subsequent flight they moved her to got canceled. She was there 25 hours before finally getting on a plane and completing her trip. There were very few tickets available to any of the 4 big city airports in Texas (AUS, DFW, HOU, SAT) on any airline, and the ones that had a seat or two were being listed at prices one-way from $600‐1200. Fuck that. I could find a few listings at $360 for 2 days later. Some airlines and airports were more fucked than others. Delta and Atlanta were - and still are - especially bad.

7 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Depends on the airline and where you're going or flying out of. I couldn't find a flight out of Atlanta for my mom on Sunday after her connecting flight got canceled and each subsequent flight they moved her to got canceled. She was there 25 hours before finally getting on a plane and completing her trip. There were very few tickets available to any of the 4 big city airports in Texas (AUS, DFW, HOU, SAT) on any airline, and the ones that had a seat or two were being listed at prices one-way from $600‐1200. Fuck that. I could find a few listings at $360 for 2 days later. Some airlines and airports were more fucked than others. Delta and Atlanta were - and still are - especially bad.

So, I guess the answer for cancelled business travel booked on a low fare is to wait a week for things to settle down and then call to rebook?

Wife was scheduled to fly to DC for work this past Sunday on Delta.  After getting the runaround on whether or not the flight was actually going to go for 7 hours, she was able to get her checked bags back and come home.  They had her rebooked for a flight to leave this AM but actually canceled it yesterday afternoon, so she had an opportunity to get with her corporate travel agency and get rebooked on American today.   She finally made it to DC two days late.  In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal, but listening to her deal with Delta for the past three days kept bringing this to mind:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

So, I guess the answer for cancelled business travel booked on a low fare is to wait a week for things to settle down and then call to rebook?

On google flights you can set it to email you a notice when there's a fare change for a selected flight. 

I really appreciated when I got the alert to check in for my return flight from DFW to ATL today after my Sunday flight from ATL to DFW was canceled with no other options (so I couldn’t go). And then when I went to cancel it I was helpfully informed that there was no option for a refund. I entered a refund request (with about 10,000 other people I’m sure).

I’m about as big a Delta fan as you’ll find, I’ll hit Diamond status this year, but that’s some bullshit.

On 7/20/2024 at 1:35 PM, Hate said:

It’s times like this that reinforce my decision to leave operations and be a full time IT PM. 

It's times like this that reinforce my decision to leave support and be a full time sales person.

• Like 1

I really appreciated when I got the alert to check in for my return flight from DFW to ATL today after my Sunday flight from ATL to DFW was canceled with no other options (so I couldn’t go). And then when I went to cancel it I was helpfully informed that there was no option for a refund. I entered a refund request (with about 10,000 other people I’m sure).

I’m about as big a Delta fan as you’ll find, I’ll hit Diamond status this year, but that’s some bullshit.
They had something on their website about a waiver for change fees and a credit or refund. Up until the 26th.
  • Like 1

Plug for the Flighty app for frequent flyers. It somehow knows what’s happening before the airlines do, and does a great job of keeping you updated. I pay for the premium version and I find it worth it.

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

USDOT would agree with you that it's some bullshit

https://www.npr.org/2024/07/23/nx-s1-5049792/deltas-airlines-delays-and-cancelations-prompt-dot-investigation

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Sorry for costing y'all millions upon millions of dollars in harm.

Here's a fucking Stanley Nickel for your trouble.

It gets better....

On Wednesday, some of the people who posted about the gift card said that when they went to redeem the offer, they got an error message saying the voucher had been canceled. When TechCrunch checked the voucher, the Uber Eats page provided an error message that said the gift card “has been canceled by the issuing party and is no longer valid.”

CrowdStrike did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

https://techcrunch.com/2024/07/24/crowdstrike-offers-a-10-apology-gift-card-to-say-sorry-for-outage/

• Haha 2