RIP Chuy's

SKJ

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Can you just stay in Mexico? Obviously you have zero clue about evolving foodways as people migrate around the world. TexMex is as legit a cuisine, centuries in the making, dating back to Spanish colonization. Do you complain about the fact the Italian food the world enjoys was invented by starving southern Italians who left famine for the abandazza of America? Or that the Chinese or Thai food in Mexico has been Mexicanized

Ask him about tacos al pastor in Mexico city. They did not originate in Mexico they are a derivative. Tex-Mex is its' own thing and last time I was in Mexico in some small little pueblo I saw a Tex-Mex restaurant. The sign had the name of the restaurant and under it it said "Comida Tex-Mex".

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Underdog said:

The fuck you say? 

If you aren’t prepared to change your handle and lay low for awhile, I would rethink whatever you are about to do next. There are some very, very serious bbq twits on this board, and they’ll come at you with everything they’ve got if you attempt to back Dickey’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We went there Tuesday night for our older son's birthday -- his choice.  It was fine.  Salsas are slipping and the table sauce appears to no longer be available.  Queso was decent.  I had an app plate that was loaded with all kinds of things -- the chicken flautas were legit, quesadillas not so much.  (I'm not exactly sure if a flauta can be "legit" but they were tasty.)

If I never go back I will not lose sleep or regret it on my deathbed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2024 at 9:55 PM, Texzilla588 said:

Can you just stay in Mexico? Obviously you have zero clue about evolving foodways as people migrate around the world. TexMex is as legit a cuisine, centuries in the making, dating back to Spanish colonization. Do you complain about the fact the Italian food the world enjoys was invented by starving southern Italians who left famine for the abandazza of America? Or that the Chinese or Thai food in Mexico has been Mexicanized

You just open the entire "Authetic" can of stupid worms. 

What about "Asian-Fusion"? Sicilian vs Italian? Regional variations of Italian? What they eat in Bari is nothing like what they eat in Milano. Grumble grumble....

For the record, I'm down for some Mexi-nese. Sign me up yo. 

Ital-Mex - grew up on that shit.

Kraut-Dego aka (Milanese), yes please.

Oh Chuys I don't hate it, I enjoy some of their offerings, I don't love it. My take is an obscenely rational reaction to an okay Tex-Mex offering when other options aren't available.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1

Chuy's used to be... well... great!  Now that was a long time ago!

I started going to Chuy's sometime not too long after they opened, long before they added on the second half of the restaurant on Barton Springs.  Somebody got them to sponsor our soccer team Austin United(if only we could score). We would make a point after games at Zilker to go and get a large table in the hub cap room, to make sure the place would make it so there was something decent on Barton Springs.  They had a killer margarita and I used to particularly like their Bandidos. A mixture of cheese and diced gree chiles rolled in a whole wheat eggroll, served with the new stuff.. jalapeño ranch.  It was a go to place in the 80's and early 90's.

It's fallen so far I haven't eaten there but maybe twice in the last decade accomodating somebody else's request.  Just shows how hard it is to scale restaurant quality over time, especially as you expand.  Darden might actually be able to improve them, as the bar is pretty low. Shocked they payed like $10 over the closing stock price of $27. could have used that cash to implement some employee retention and training programs.

What I do miss terribly is Shady Grove.  What I miss even more is that big floppy disk with all the recipes on it that I discarded long ago... Their Veggie Chili was the bomb, with also solid offerings and desserts. Drove by yesterday.  Abandoned and overgrown. And Shady Grove would have never happened without a rent dispute for the Chuy's Barton location.  I looked back and realized the founder Mike Young passed away a year ago. Hope Darden can bring it back to at least close to what it once was. I likely will never know, as I will be at Eldorado, or slumming at Y Mas. 

23 minutes ago, horn4life said:

What I do miss terribly is Shady Grove.

I do, too.  It was a solid for the cost, had an unbelievable patio, and appeared to be fairly well managed.  

Austin has a plethora of food trucks and restaurants chasing Instagram glory-what it lacks is the basic “let’s eat out tonight” neighborhood joints and Shady Grove was perfect for that*.  You end up with restaurants like El Dorado getting loved to death.

*they also frequently had live music or showed old movies on their projector, both of which lent themselves to the cool bohemian charm of yore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I do, too.  It was a solid for the cost, had an unbelievable patio, and appeared to be fairly well managed.  

Austin has a plethora of food trucks and restaurants chasing Instagram glory-what it lacks is the basic “let’s eat out tonight” neighborhood joints and Shady Grove was perfect for that*.  You end up with restaurants like El Dorado getting loved to death.

*they also frequently had live music or showed old movies on their projector, both of which lent themselves to the cool bohemian charm of yore. 

I was putting my wife through Pharmacy school when Shady grove was getting going and our friend Rosie was the bar manager I think? But she was my "surrogate wife" as I would eat and drink there a couple nights a week while my wife was slaving away at UT.  I remember when they first started having bands, that eventually ended up being "unplugged at the Grove."  My wife would kill for a Hippie Chick.  We moved up NW in 1999 and only went 8-10 times a year after that.  It was good food for adults as well as kid friendly. RIP