Website Income Generation Question.

Gotta be somewhat vague here regarding what the topic of the site would be but it would potentially similar to a BBS.

The topic would be construction related, however unlike Shag², no branching out into a wide variety of topics, no material or equipment sales, nothing related to even trade news, etc.

What is gonna be the best way to get revenue:

• Membership only with tiers

• Menbership monthly ($ 5.00?) & maybe an annual subscription w/ discount ($ 50, so a $ 10 discount vs. $ 5×12=$ 60)?

• Advertising only?

& Of course there is the site architecture, hosting, maintenance, etc. & obv. I'm not qualified to do that stuff.

Again, the big question is comparing ad only & bring in a higher volume of users (what FB does, obv... no membership fees)

- vs -

Membership tiers (think dating sites).

- vs. -

A blend between ad + tiers where ad only gets viewing of basic info but paid gets unlocked, more detailed information.

& I will go ahead & make the joke about "roofers dating roofers" / "roofers looking to nail hot shingles", etc.).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Do you think there is a big enough “customer” base to warrant this? And if so, a big enough one that would pay for said service?

I have been pondering this same question.

I do know of a Facebook group with +17,000 current members (obv. not all fully active, much like the % of lurkers we have here on Shag²) so... yeah, there *is* an interest.

& Not that I am asking for income details¹, however a basic comparison would be non-members for this BBS who get ads onscreen.  We don't have any requirements on Surly for a paid memberships & I have actually received PM's here from roof customers who stated "I only registered so I could message you".

For a site like this, what's the monetization like for an ad that comes across the screen?

Two cents... half a cent per flashed ad? Multiply ×100 views?  Based on actual time on screen or only paid for a click through?

🤔

¹$tree-fiddy$

Edited by ROFL BOX

5 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have been pondering this same question.

I do know of a Facebook group with +17,000 current members (obv. not all fully active, much like the % of lurkers we have here on Shag²) so... yeah, there *is* an interest.

& Not that I am asking for income details¹, however a basic comparison would be non-members for this BBS who get ads onscreen.  We don't have any requirements on Surly for a paid memberships & I have actually received PM's here from roof customers who stated "I only registered so I could message you".

For a site like this, what's the monetization like for an ad that comes across the screen?

Two cents... half a cent per flashed ad? Multiply ×100 views?  Based on actual time on screen or only paid for a click through?

🤔

¹$tree-fiddy$

17k people isn't much. 

8 hours ago, immamac said:

17k people isn't much. 

And... that's why I have come here to ask questions like how do I most easily monetize the.sire idea.

Do you have raw #'s on what the the Shag² site traffic is like, lurkers & subscribers combined & then separately lurkers / visitors vs. subscribers?

It seems that with "only" 17,000 members, a paid to participate platform would work best.

I'm not expecting to get rich off this idea, however making some $ for my troubles & solving some of the issues inherent with the GB Groups would help this idea.

OP - have you thought of spinning up a discord channel? 
I don't participate in any Discord(s).  Is it able to be monetized?  I have Ø experience with Discord, however I have heard of it. 

This website idea has to use a GUI for things like selecting various options & "fill in the blank / answer this question" type stuff, some of them causing cascade changes & lockouts, so a straight on BBS format would not work.

5 minutes ago, __construct YOUR_FRIEND_NG said:

You are no longer allowed to do this because of Woke

discord's 

¿"woke"?

How about [thread ----> threads] / [board / boards]?

Again, I have not ever done anything on Discord, therefore I am not at all familiar with the nomenclature for that medium.