Guitar tuning

ztejas

Posted (edited)

I didn't really know what thread this would fit into so figured I'd start a new discussion.

I'm getting back into playing and have reminded myself that on my acoustic Taylor I prefer it tuned flat just a hair (on every string) rather than have every string dialed in. I'm a fan of tuning it down between like 1/10th of a note and 2/10th of a note.*

Whether it's electric or acoustic - do any guitar players here tune differently depending on the guitar you're playing or have a certain set up that you like? Obviously some songs are in different tuning to begin with - drop D is very popular - but I'm more talking about setting the guitar up so it isn't technically "in tune".

Edited by ztejas

I've messed with sweetened tunings using a Peterson tuner that has a tons of different tunings.  Your post really doesn't mentioned sweetened tunings, but I guess your idea is just a different sweetened tuning.   The James Taylor tuning seems to be actually pretty close to what you do.   Someone with a better ear than my dead ears can discern...my G strings almost always sound out of tune.   To me, most of them sound better up the neck, but the open chords sound off.  

Rhett Shull has a decent video about Peterson's sweetened tunings.    

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I've messed with sweetened tunings using a Peterson tuner that has a tons of different tunings.  Your post really doesn't mentioned sweetened tunings, but I guess your idea is just a different sweetened tuning.   The James Taylor tuning seems to be actually pretty close to what you do.   Someone with a better ear than my dead ears can discern...my G strings almost always sound out of tune.   To me, most of them sound better up the neck, but the open chords sound off.  

Rhett Shull has a decent video about Peterson's sweetened tunings.    

Thanks - I will check that out.

Seems like sweetened tuning involves adjusting each individual string rather than a blanket +/-.

I think I first came across the ~1/4 step flat when learning to play a Wilco song off of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Someone had recommended it in the comments. 

My Taylor is basically the only thing I play and while it's fantastic it can definitely get too bright and tinny at times - esp. in normal tuning. 

I'll have to play around with some different set-ups with tweaking each string. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hullabelew said:

Try the Peterson acoustic or the James Taylor.  The Taylor tuning flattens all strings but the low E and A are more flattened than the other strings.  

Will do. I sing while I play, as well, which I'm sure can affect a lot of the "optimal" tuning. 

i used to tune my j45 capo'd on the second fret, but then i got it intonated.

i usually use the acoustic sweetened tuning setting on my peterson tuners. that works well, tuning to 440 works well, sometimes I'll make a small adjustment. Drop D I tune it up and then hit the big open D and adjust.

• Like 1

I have a pretty good ear, and can usually dial in a low E w/o help.  Sometimes I need help.  From there, it's all by ear, and I definitely move off "perfect" for several of the higher strings, usually a bit sharp.  I mostly try to dial in an open G that sounds right to me and live with the fallout.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a pretty good ear, and can usually dial in a low E w/o help.  Sometimes I need help.  From there, it's all by ear, and I definitely move off "perfect" for several of the higher strings, usually a bit sharp.  I mostly try to dial in an open G that sounds right to me and live with the fallout.

Yeah - I want to learn how to tune by ear. I know I can do it. 

There was a guy I was hanging out with recently who is a fairly accomplished musician and he tuned that Taylor by ear to some very interesting configurations. He mainly plays hardcore/metal and plays up the fretboard a lot and it isn't that his tuning was wrong - it was just - unique - to say the least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to not care if my guitar was in concert pitch because I'm not in a band or anything and as long as the guitar is in tune with itself, who gives a shit.  

But recently, I've gotten back into playing with the original recordings like I used to do when I was a kid, so now I always use a tuner.  

It's amazing how much my playing and singing sound better when assisted covered up by the actual recording.  

I used to not care if my guitar was in concert pitch because I'm not in a band or anything and as long as the guitar is in tune with itself, who gives a shit.  
But recently, I've gotten back into playing with the original recordings like I used to do when I was a kid, so now I always use a tuner.  
It's amazing how much my playing and singing sound better when assisted covered up by the actual recording.  

This. You’ll get better that way. And it helps develops your rhythm.

What’s fun is when you try to play a song that’s just recorded out of tune. Many are.

16 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What’s fun is when you try to play a song that’s just recorded out of tune. Many are.

Yeah - I've encountered this several times. My solution is I just try to find a live version on youtube.  Then, they will usually be in standard pitch. 

• Like 1