is there a thread about the Baptist Church in Dallas burning?

Gil Bang

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

If this happened to the Baptist church my wife used to attend here in Austin, my first thought would be that they did it for the insurance money and then they are going to sell the land.

Hyde Park? That’s some sweet land they own.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

A Westin would be perfect for that location.

They could include a meditation room/lactation room as an homage to the church.  Win win.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

So what does black smoke coming from the Baptican City signify?

Sir, I believe I coined that term. Credit where it is due, please. 

Also, we happened to be landing at Love Field yesterday and saw the black cloud of smoke downtown. My first thought was that it was some sort of terrorist attack. Imagine my relief to find out it was only a fire. My next thought was that Jeffress wants some more cash and to build a high rise there. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Looks like a historic 19th century building. Nothing to rejoice here. This is sad for the sparse architecture that is preserved in Dallas.

It’s a shame it wasn’t under better stewardship. 

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Good lord, what is the origin of this gif?

You don’t know who Al Lewis, who played Grandpa on The Munsters, is?  Granted you may not recognize him in color since much of his work was in the days before color television. 

Fun fact:  He was also on Car 54, Where Are You?, with the guy who played Herman Munster, his son-in-law on The Munsters.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

You don’t know who Al Lewis, who played Grandpa on The Munsters, is?  Granted you may not recognize him in color since much of his work was in the days before color television. 

Fun fact:  He was also on Car 54, Where Are You?, with the guy who played Herman Munster, his son-in-law on The Munsters.  

He was in Gremlins 2 right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Looks like a historic 19th century building. Nothing to rejoice here. This is sad for the sparse architecture that is preserved in Dallas.

Fucking Dallas assholes trying to steal Houston's spotlight again.  No one cares about your leased used 3-series.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If this happened to the Baptist church my wife used to attend here in Austin, my first thought would be that they did it for the insurance money and then they are going to sell the land.

This is the level of cynicism that supports the Republicans thesis that we live in a godless society.  Sinner!!!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 9:13 AM, South Austin said:

A Westin would be perfect for that location.

I stayed in a Westin once. We had to evacuate the building early in the morning because it caught fire. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I stayed in a Westin once. We had to evacuate the building early in the morning because it caught fire. 

If you wouldn't mind sharing any future itinerary you may have the rest of us would appreciate it.  

22 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

If you wouldn't mind sharing any future itinerary you may have the rest of us would appreciate it.  

A lot of people were staying in the hotel that night including the members of the band Phish. My connection may only have been coincidental.

Or maybe the town had something to do with it. Or maybe it was a confluence of several factors. This happened in early ‘03. Nine years earlier I attended a Phish show at the Cincinnati Music Hall and the building had to be evacuated after the fire alarm went off. There was no fire, just a lot of smoke coming from the audience. (See my story about it in the Phish thread.)

Who knows?