[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

As you may have observed from the debate thread, I'm concerned about Biden's chances of defeating Trump in the election.  This heightens the importance of the convention.  

I'm going to admit the obvious: Biden looked terrible and while I've always been open to the idea of someone taking over, I didn't think it was going to be this summer -- until last night. 

Both Gavin Newsom and Kamala Harris looked energetic and ready for a fight and I'm sure Pete is too. 

It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if Biden, Harris, or Newsome is the nominee. If America willingly elects a rapist, fascist, felon, and traitor, we don’t deserve to be a country anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if Biden, Harris, or Newsome is the nominee. If America willingly elects a rapist, fascist, felon, and traitor, we don’t deserve to be a country anymore. 

But if you put an unelectable person up against said felon, you’re asking for America to make that choice. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

We already did once. We're about to do it again it appears. This should be a slam dunk election for the Democratic Party but here we are. They can't even put up a candidate to beat a rapist, fascist, felon and traitor.

It 100% matters who the candidate is. The election started with it being about Trump, right now it's all about Biden.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But if you put an unelectable person up against said felon, you’re asking for America to make that choice. 

Biden is not unelectable. Is he alive? Then he’s electable.  

Americans care more about appearance than integrity, which is the point, and why we don’t deserve to be a country . 

The election started with it being about Trump, right now it's all about Biden.

This is honestly the best summation I’ve seen about why last night mattered.

Y’all can dismiss the importance of a single debate, sure, but (fair or not) Biden’s age is now THE question regarding the debate. The immediate emotions of the debate may fade, but this question will remain.

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Biden is not unelectable. Is he alive? Then he’s electable.  

Americans care more about appearance than integrity, which is the point, and why we don’t deserve to be a country . 

Dude, it was more than just appearance. If the problems were only Biden’s voice and how he looked when not speaking, I would agree that appearance doesn’t matter. Biden couldn’t pass the test of putting together clear messaging. I would hate to read a word for word transcript of what Biden said.

On 6/28/2024 at 7:51 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Dude, it was more than just appearance. If the problems were only Biden’s voice and how he looked when not speaking, I would agree that appearance doesn’t matter. Biden couldn’t pass the test of putting together clear messaging. I would hate to read a word for word transcript of what Biden said.

If you do, make sure you read a word-for-word transcript of what Trump said too. Then fact check all his lies. 

On 6/28/2024 at 6:09 AM, Bullneck said:

As you may have observed from the debate thread, I concerned about Biden's chances of defeating Trump in the election.  This heightens the importance of the convention.  

I'm going to admit the obvious: Biden looked terrible and while I've always been open to the idea of someone taking over, I didn't think it was going to be this summer until last night. 

Both Gavin Newsom and Kamala Harris looked energetic and ready for a fight and I'm sure Pete is too. 

If Joe Biden stays in the race, it will be a very ho hum convention.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you do, make sure you read a word-for-word transcript of what Trump said too. Then fact check all his lies. 

Unfortunately, what I think you're underestimating, is the GOP's marketing/propaganda abilities.

Trump's lying and inability to speak coherently were already priced in.

And for the past couple of weeks they've been hammering at Biden's supposed cognitive decline, while the Dems were on defense saying video was manipulated, etc...I think most of us believed them, or at least wanted to, but then Thursday happened and we all saw it with our own eyes.

219 lies by the consensus account of Trump's debate sentences/comments.  On to the Chicago convention:  

Growing up in Chicago, we learned a lot about the 1968 DNC convention in our junior high social studies class.  Spent a few days on it, and ended it up with a film of interviews with then legendary Mayor Richard J. Daley.  And I remember Mr. Hays telling us "there will be some language."  So a reporter asks Daley why he doesn't go down to the park with all the protestors and riot police to calm things down.  Daley responded, "I'm not going down to that fucking riot...I could get hurt."  It was bleeped out when it aired on the news, but this was an unedited version.  

Johnson had just dropped out a few months before.  Daley was trying to broker a deal between Johnson and RFK to figure out where the party should head.  Sound familiar?  Daley got a little too over his skis, just as RFK's son would 56 years later.  With RFK deceased and McCarthy having not much sway, Humphrey emerges as the "safe" choice for nomination in Chicago.  Sound familiar?  But a substantial bloc of the party wants to replace the former Vice President, and put up McGovern.  Outside, massive protests erupt, led by the infamous Chicago 7, over unjust wars in SE Asia (though one could substitute Gaza/Palestine-Biden/Israel).  

In the after-math of the Chicago convention, Daley would lose his grip on the DNC.  As retribution for having him skipper over in '68, McGovern has Daley physically removed from the 1972 national convention.  Knowing Daley could still fuck things up for McGovern (who would later lead the way to change the entire nominating process), he later makes an overture and heeds Daley's recommendation to put the uncle of RFK, Jr. (who might fuck this election up)---Sargent Shriver.  

1968's Chicago convention was really the last 'open' one for the Democratic Party.  With the Gaza protestors, "Biden should step aside", and other internal issues---this might get weird as Chicago usually does.  

Here's a fun historical connection---Mayor Daley took solace over all this internal strife in his party in the arms of his wife, Eleanor---whom everyone called "Sis."  Eleanor's cousin would go on to have a grand-daughter named Kimberly.  Kimberly would one day marry a man who may also up-end the Democratic Party this cycle or the next, Gov. Gavin Newsom (hopefully in a good way).  She now dates Biden's opponent's son, also a Junior.  the First Lady of Chicago, Eleanor Daley's maiden name was Guilfoyle.   

Keep Biden on the ticket, take him off.  Alls I know is this is a fucking simulation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

JB Pritzker has overseen 9 credit upgrades since being elected Governor of Illinois. 6 balanced budgets and cleared the backlog of unpaid bills. Ended 2024 with 4.7 billion cash on hand, which is 9% of state budget in 2025. They don’t get to call that a surplus though for some reason, and over 500 million in cash interest generated to prepay pension payments. Also a record high in the rainy day fund at 2.1 billion.

Lot of momentum. 

https://news.wttw.com/2024/07/03/illinois-ends-fiscal-year-nearly-5b-cash-hand#:~:text=The state ended fiscal year,over the past five years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Stuart!  Listen, mmkay?!?   First you take the 90, then to the 94 then to the 43!  Wait, are you sleeping with my Honduran housekeeper, Esmeralda?!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • immamac changed the title to Democratic Party Nominee Search Thread

If not Kamala, it would essentially say "We never really had confidence in you as VP".

While my 2019 vote was going to be Pete G., Biden had it won before the Texas primaries came up.

I have confidence in Kamala, partially because it is the Administration that is around & that supports the PotUS, not the office holder alone.

As a standalone topic, I am not at all thrilled by the added bullshit that this will get spit out of the 🍊🤡.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Balcones said:

The democratic process. Every vote in the primary. And then let a handful of people pick the actual candidate you can vote for. 

At least if it’s Kamala, all those primary votes were technically for her also. Not like there’s a single Biden voter that felt 100% confident he would make it through a full term. 

Edited by SquishMitten
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Balcones said:

The democratic process. Every vote in the primary. And then let a handful of people pick the actual candidate you can vote for. 

yeah, quite a primary process.

Biden’s inner circle had been hiding him away for a year+ besides the state of the union. When he went out in public for the second time in a year he flew the plane into the gotdamned mountain. 

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

At least if it’s Kamala, all those primary votes were technically for her also. Not like there’s a single Biden voter that felt 100% confident he would make it through a full term. 

How so? She wasn’t on the ballot. Neither was JD Vance on Trumps primary ballot.

I find it highly ironic that it is the Democrats that are overturning an election. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's a bit early to be drunk on a Sunday, chief

He's just scared.  

He and his ilk were dancing in the streets at the idea of Biden staying in the race.

Now they know their fucked, so they're breaking out the cheating allegations early.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Yep. Every person who voted Trump in the primary was really voting for Vance. He was the obvious VP choice.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Balcones said:

How so? She wasn’t on the ballot. Neither was JD Vance on Trumps primary ballot.

I find it highly ironic that it is the Democrats that are overturning an election. 

He declined the nomination.  What would you have us do?

18 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I fucking hope this works.

With Donald Trump on the other side?

I like our chances.

6 minutes ago, Balcones said:

It's not an election. It's a party primary.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)

Put. Pimphand. On ignore.

He’s by far the dumbest asshole on a site chock full of dumb assholes, and none of us want to read his stupid horseshit.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1