[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

18 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Someone smarter than me tell me why this doesn't matter.

Yeah, how on earth can an ex military, football coach, teacher, and hunter, who literally carves butter help reach the Midwest and bluecollar voter? I just don't see it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Walz is the guy at the bar you want to sit near because he has great stories and anecdotes. Vance is the guy who keeps trying to talk to you and you do your best to quickly get away from him. 

Walz - have a drink with 

Vance - hide your drink from 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Positivity, happiness, an eye towards the future. These are the things you can sell to a country that is tired of partisanship, hatred, and anger. Walz is the dad you want. Trump is the dad a lot of people sadly got. 

I was totally with you, but that last sentence is Brisket level dark.

• Haha 3

Just now, 'stache said:

I don't think he's there to sway rural maga types, they are hopeless, and referring to them as "blue collar voters" feels really, really off to me. But even if he's right, his job again isn't to sway maga voters, it's to fire up existing democrats and sway the middle who are mostly apathetic towards politics and seeing a likeable person in general might be enough to get them to the polls.

Dont forget that labor loves him. They organize and knock on doors. They weren’t high on Shapiro

Hell, Kamala’s second event as presumptive nominee after Biden bowed out was the teacher’s union! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Walz may not win you a ton of new votes, but he shouldn't lose you any. Shapiro would have lost you some votes, and may not have offset those with enough new votes. It's a safe good pick. VP's aren't supposed to overly-impact the voting. Palin showed there's a lot of downside, and no one has ever shown much upside.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't think any politician has ever completely owned the "who do you want to have a beer with" question quite like Walz. Especially compared to his counterpart. 

Vance is the guy that you have a separate friends group chat without so people can say shit like "do we really want to invite JD?"

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I hope it lasts but the youths seem engaged. My 23 and 20 yo daughters already messaged about how they are helping to flood the zone with online messages and engagement about how awesome Walz is. The older one specifically noted that the media was already trying to downplay him and they're not gonna let that happen. 

I have too much self-awareness to try to get on the Twitsnapgrambooktok to help. That would just end in disaster. 

Corporate media is already dying. I hope people are starting to see through the bullshit. They want Trump back in office. They need the outrage to fill segments. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It's a safe good pick.

I like him a lot and glad he's the pick, but I'm not sure I'd call it safe. Just because we've never really seen anything like this before, and no one had heard of him two weeks ago.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

image.png.81551d0f8b6a664a30c4868ed99dd4e9.png

It’s gonna be funny watching Trump try to make fun of Walz and his blue collar ways, while not appreciating that he is insulting 90% of his base.  Guess what Don, your rural base: goes to state fairs, likes to hunt, cares about high school football, didn’t go to Ivy League or elite schools. So not only does Walz strike a chord with blue collar voters, Trump is going to simultaneously alienate them by attacking Walz for growing up a working man, just like them.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s basically a Biden pick - no, he won’t suddenly flip a shit ton of Trump voters but it reassures many. Small inroads make a difference in some states. Dude can go speak just as easily to unions and VFW halls as he can suburban moms 

Imo, nothing will flip a bunch of Trump voters. They are pretty much a lost cause, electorally speaking. And probably a lost cause in many other areas: decency, respect for democracy, oh, and the truth. 

But I'm hoping that Walz solidifies all the rest, the non-cultists. Let's get back to politicians being (mostly) decent people who work with the other side.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vance is toast

shocked holy shit GIF

He's the perfect antidote to Vance. This will connect with a lot of people out there who need IVF to have children. The very fucking thing these weirdos on the right desperately want Americans to do more of, having children. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, texastough said:

Its not about flipping Magats, its really about juicing D turnout and depressing R turnout. (Directed toward everyone arguing whether any of this stuff will flip Rs)

Trying to flip MAGA voters is futile effort. Focus on the R's that are being ostracized by MAGA....that is the key. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Imo, nothing will flip a bunch of Trump voters. They are pretty much a lost cause, electorally speaking. And probably a lost cause in many other areas: decency, respect for democracy, oh, and the truth. 

But I'm hoping that Walz solidifies all the rest, the non-cultists. Let's get back to politicians being (mostly) decent people who work with the other side.

I want to like this, but right now a Dem can’t be a decent person and work with Republicans. Maybe once the current GOP is ground into dust and replaced with something sane. Right now is the time to turn Republicans into social outcasts that nobody wants anything to do with.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Big Ten Gophers GIF by Goldy the Gopher - University of Minnesota

I'm a big fan of most things Minnesota. Just spent 3 weeks there on vacation. Nothing against Texas (the state) but Minnesota just seems so much more normal and not bat-shit crazy when it comes to politics. 

I hope whatever wave this is also takes out some Texas GOP politicians. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I'm seriously considering Minneapolis again because my allergies here are getting worse and every fucking day i get alerts that dust and dander are at extreme levels, which I think is my primary allergen. It's also been 114 degree heat index for a week and a half. Fuck it all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Which candidate reflects the relationship you want with your children? The one who has a ball with his daughter or the one who tells his son to shut up about Pokemon because he's taking an important phone call? I know the one I'd rather have. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I hope it lasts but the youths seem engaged. My 23 and 20 yo daughters already messaged about how they are helping to flood the zone with online messages and engagement about how awesome Walz is. The older one specifically noted that the media was already trying to downplay him and they're not gonna let that happen. 

I have too much self-awareness to try to get on the Twitsnapgrambooktok to help. That would just end in disaster. 

my two newly registered 18 year olds were on Team Walz for the last 3 weeks or so.

Now the hard part, getting one of them an absentee ballot for November as he is going to college out of state.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't think he's there to sway rural maga types, they are hopeless, and referring to them as "blue collar voters" feels really, really off to me. But even if he's right, his job again isn't to sway maga voters, it's to fire up existing democrats and sway the middle who are mostly apathetic towards politics and seeing a likeable person in general might be enough to get them to the polls.

This this this

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

my two newly registered 18 year olds were on Team Walz for the last 3 weeks or so.

Now the hard part, getting one of them an absentee ballot for November as he is going to college out of state.

Fly him back for a weekend to vote early (Assuming Texas, you get at least one full weekend of EV)

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Which candidate reflects the relationship you want with your children? The one who has a ball with his daughter or the one who tells his son to shut up about Pokemon because he's taking an important phone call? I know the one I'd rather have. 

Or how about the candidate who referred to his daughter as a “great piece of ass”?

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, ignore your baser instincts. Engage the youths about politics on Tik Tok, tweet at recruits, you got this!

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

It’s gonna be funny watching Trump try to make fun of Walz and his blue collar ways, while not appreciating that he is insulting 90% of his base.  Guess what Don, your rural base: goes to state fairs, likes to hunt, cares about high school football, didn’t go to Ivy League or elite schools. So not only does Walz strike a chord with blue collar voters, Trump is going to simultaneously alienate them by attacking Walz for growing up a working man, just like them.

His base won’t realize it or they’ll explain it away yet again

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

This was likely a huge factor.  Walz, and not Shapiro, gives Harris a better chance to win Michigan, if you really think the significant and vocal Muslim population in the state would sit out the election, or, even worse, vote for Trump, based on the singular issue of the Palestine/Israel war.  

I don’t think that. First, I don’t think the Muslim population in Michigan is a monolith acting with one mind. And I think they’re probably astute enough to judge the ticket by its platform, and to judge Shapiro by his record and not his rhetoric. They might have also taken into consideration the fact that he had the endorsement of Arab and Muslim communities in Pennsylvania and not simply reacted to a negative campaign against him on social media.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/shapiro-arab-muslim-communities-pennsylvania-20240731.html

Either Walz or Shapiro would be a fine pick. A bullet wouldn’t have been dodged with one man or the other. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

MAGA' going to be sown with salt, encased in carbonite, and launched into the sun.

But after the credits, you're going to see a clip where Shapiro is fingering Trump's pinky ring.  He then looks into the camera, and you see he has lizard eyes.

racist comedy central GIF

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Vance is toast

this is such a great politician/governor response. Personal and relatable, impossible to hate, touches on both faith and family, and promotes one of the crown jewel points of pride for your state. Three sentences.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Someone smarter than me tell me why this doesn't matter.

I have no idea if Walz will help with uneducated whites. 

I do know that anyone who is comparing presidential cycles vs. non-presidential cycles is pretty suspect.  And why aren't they including 2018, which was Walz's first election as governor?