[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

24 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Does anyone else here think the Olympics will be an unintended tailwind on the election?  By that, I mean they've been just murdering the ratings and it's been very well done by NBC.  Tons of great stories in there and they're happy stories.  My point is that people like happy stories.  America is a happy place, at least most of us want it to be.  Walz is the poster child for a happy warrior.  Harris isn't bad, either.  Meanwhile, on the other side, every day something happens that is the worst thing ever.

Anyway, my .02.

As compared to every other presidential election?  Although I guess they were delayed last year

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I've never bought or put a sign in my yard.  I just ordered that sign.  

So did we.  In part because young kids moved in to the house next door, so we have to leave this one in the garage because we have a LITTLE bit of decency (don't want to have to explain to the precocious first grader next door what those words mean):

chinga-tu-maga-anti-trump-yard-sign.webp

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Right, because “ideologue” and “hate” are the words that spring to mind when I think of Joe Biden. Fuck your “both sides,” Mark. The Trump side is the one preaching division and hate. This isn’t a radical transformation on the left. It’s just new blood. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

As compared to every other presidential election?  Although I guess they were delayed last year

These have been the most viewed ever and after the past 5+ years, America wants to feel good again.  I see it in consumer spending.  They want concerts, travel. etc.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Right, because “ideologue” and “hate” are the words that spring to mind when I think of Joe Biden. Fuck your “both sides,” Mark. The Trump side is the one preaching division and hate. This isn’t a radical transformation on the left. It’s just new blood. 

Cuban peaked in 1999. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Good thing for you all who wanted Walz as I had a promise he was going to move next door to me to become my new best friend who would have drinks with me on Fridays.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Does anyone else here think the Olympics will be an unintended tailwind on the election?  By that, I mean they've been just murdering the ratings and it's been very well done by NBC.  Tons of great stories in there and they're happy stories.  My point is that people like happy stories.  America is a happy place, at least most of us want it to be.  Walz is the poster child for a happy warrior.  Harris isn't bad, either.  Meanwhile, on the other side, every day something happens that is the worst thing ever.

Anyway, my .02.

I think it's an under-studied phenomenon that the Olympics may tend to benefit an incumbent president/party in power.  And I think it's an interesting coincidence that the two times the United States didn't participate in a Summer Olympics in a presidential election year (1980 and 2020) were two of the three times in the postwar era that the incumbent president lost his reelection bid (the other being 1992).  Is there a causative relationship there (or at least a contributory one)?  I don't know, but I think it's worth considering.

• Hook 'Em 3

There are too few samples, my sister is a Biden loyalist and was crying about throwing away the incumbency and the good percentage of reelection, but there just isn't that much of a datapoint, Trump gave away money during COVID (something repubs/libertarians/cons howl at) and he could not get reelected, its all about GOTV nowadays.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Uh, no.  H.W. Bush never attended law school and he was on the ticket in 1984, 1988, and 1992. 

W. Bush never attended law school. 

Dick Cheney never attended law school. 

John Kerry never attended law school.  

Mitt Romney never attended law school. 

Paul Ryan did not attend law school.  

John McCain did not attend law school. 

I'll give you a pass on falling for "saw somewhere" because most of the above seem like they were lawyers at some point.  But I can't give you a pass on two glaring fucking examples of major party nominees who not only couldn't get into law school, probably couldn't complete a GED right now----Donald Trump and Sarah Palin

Wiki says different about John Kerry, he has a JD.

3 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Wiki says different about John Kerry, he has a JD.

I thought after Yale undergrad, he went straight into the U.S. Navy.  There wasn't time enough between the two for him to complete a law degree.  Unless he picked one up piecemeal along the way between Reserve Duty and running for Congress in 1972.  I guess that's possible, but it would have been mentioned more.  If you're talking about the UMass law degree, that was Honorary, not real.  I think he did go back and forth to some law school during congressional breaks, I guess he did it long enough to earn a degree.  I dunno.  I don't know his background as well as others. 

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I thought after Yale undergrad, he went straight into the U.S. Navy.  There wasn't time enough between the two for him to complete a law degree.  Unless he picked one up piecemeal along the way between Reserve Duty and running for Congress in 1972.  I guess that's possible, but it would have been mentioned more.  If you're talking about the UMass law degree, that was Honorary, not real.  I think he did go back and forth to some law school during congressional breaks, I guess he did it long enough to earn a degree.  I dunno.  I don't know his background as well as others. 

Got his law degree in '76 from Boston College.

52 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Minnesota and music. There was a time in the 90s when my playlist was full of artists from there.
Prince
The Jayhawks
The Gear Daddies
Husker Du/Sugar
Soul Asylum
Son Volt
Replacements

Not to pick nits but Illinois and Chicago claims Son Volt.

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

He's sadly the best we've got in the outspoken billionaire category. (not that we need more of them)

I'm no fan of the Mavs and he's exhibited quite a bit of douchery over the years but the man's politics mostly line up with those of us in this thread. I'm sure he was hoping for Shapiro for the Jewish/Israel angle, though. Give him a few mins and he'll slot in 100% behind Harris/Walz.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I guess part-time between 1970-1976 would have covered it.  Makes sense.  Sarah Palin only has 180-200 credit hours left to go in higher education before she can be scrubbed from the "Major Party VP nominee with no law school experience."  Good for her, I say! 

59 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Minnesota and music. There was a time in the 90s when my playlist was full of artists from there.
Prince
The Jayhawks
The Gear Daddies
Husker Du/Sugar
Soul Asylum
Son Volt
Replacements

IMG_9209.thumb.jpeg.a1fe65d6a0c053172f727985f62e46b9.jpeg

lol I’ve been on exactly that kick

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

IMG_9209.thumb.jpeg.a1fe65d6a0c053172f727985f62e46b9.jpeg

lol I’ve been on exactly that kick

Now that's what I'm talking about Cman

6 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Just fyi, I'm always going to pronounce it Husk-er-doo.

Don't forget you Husker Don'ts

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Probably want to go in January to see if you can handle it.

Yeah, go get an airbnb for a week in January and make sure you want that for 5-6 months out of the year.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

image.thumb.png.959b7da647bf06832f4a1d86237f52eb.png

Art of the Deal

• Haha 5

The line that stuck out to me in the Walz ad was compromise without compromising my values. I think that's exactly what he's going to hit Vance on again and again. How Vance compromised his values to become a MAGA so he could get ahead. 

• Hook 'Em 5

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/who-wants-to-tell-them-trump-campaign-roasted-over-slamming-walz-for-helping-to-allow-convicted-felons-to-vote/

Former President Donald Trump’s 2024 campaign put out an eyebrow-raising statement on Tuesday reacting to Minnesota Governor Tim Walz (D) being chosen as Kamala Harris’s running mate. The statement from Trump Campaign Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt was quickly mocked online for including a jab at Walz for “embracing policies to allow convicted felons to vote.”

Trump, himself, is of course a convicted felon as he was found guilty on 34 separate charges related to falsifying business documents to cover up hush money payments while running for president in 2016.

“It’s no surprise that San Francisco Liberal Kamala Harris wants West Coast wannabe Tim Walz as her running-mate – Walz has spent his governorship trying to reshape Minnesota in the image of the Golden State. While Walz pretends to support Americans in the Heartland, when the cameras are off, he believes that rural America is ‘mostly cows and rocks,’” began the statement, which added:

From proposing his own carbon-free agenda, to suggesting stricter emission standards for gas-powered cars, and embracing policies to allow convicted felons to vote, Walz is obsessed with spreading California’s dangerously liberal agenda far and wide. If Walz won’t tell voters the truth, we will: just like Kamala Harris, Tim Walz is a dangerously liberal extremist, and the Harris-Walz California dream is every American’s nightmare.

Pundits and journalists roasted the campaign’s statement online as they noted the apparent hypocrisy involved in blasting a policy that would benefit their candidate should he live in Minnesota.

“The Trump campaign is attacking Tim Walz for restoring voting rights to convicted felons. Who… wants to tell them,” quipped the Huffington Post’s Jennifer Bendery.

Republican lawyer turned anti-Trump activist, George Conway, replied, “You would think that Trump would *like* the fact that Walz thinks convicted felons should be allowed to vote.”

Below are some additional reactions:

The Trump campaign is attacking Tim Walz for restoring voting rights to convicted felons.

Who… wants to tell them. pic.twitter.com/gFLB6OkGSW

— Jennifer Bendery (@jbendery) August 6, 2024

You would think that Trump would *like* the fact that Walz thinks convicted felons should be allowed to vote. https://t.co/yX6f5t3sHS

— George Conway (@gtconway3d) August 6, 2024

need to get the campaign’s position but sure seems like they think florida should strip donald trump’s voting rights!

— Alex Shephard (@alex_shephard) August 6, 2024

The Trump campaign is attacking Tim Walz for restoring convicted felons’ right to vote.

Trump has been convicted of 34 felonies, making this the funniest statement of all time. pic.twitter.com/0UB9YqOC4V

— Adrienne Mahsa Varkiani (@AdrienneMahsa) August 6, 2024

So is Donald Trump saying that he, a convicted felon, should not be allowed to vote?
(Photo credit: @nycsouthpaw) pic.twitter.com/p4ZCgOGSjQ

— Island Girl – 100% Pro-Choice, Vote Blue (@bluepolitics_) August 6, 2024

source.gif

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Cuban isn't calling out Biden here. He is just saying that things can shift quickly in the positive direction for a new candidate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, linux said:

There are too few samples, my sister is a Biden loyalist and was crying about throwing away the incumbency and the good percentage of reelection, but there just isn't that much of a datapoint, Trump gave away money during COVID (something repubs/libertarians/cons howl at) and he could not get reelected, its all about GOTV nowadays.

I have first hand experience with this dynamic.  The response has been "The first stimulus was neccessary, but the second one Biden authorized was what really fucked up the economy."

• Hook 'Em 1