[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I know from an optics perspective that is good, but frankly it isn't great money management to not have any retirement investments outside of pensions. 

Depends on how good the pensions are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Not that I care about Trump, because he a complete bag of shit, but my recollection is that flights logs show Trump was on Epstein's plane for domestic flights, but there is no evidence he ever visited the island. No reason to propagate mistruths and alternative facts, if you're gonna bitch about it when the other side does it. He's enough of a shitbag to get buried with the stuff we know  is  true.

https://archive.ph/fR8Ga - recent article on the matter from Washington Post, spurred on by Ted Lieu's recent comments. 

FWIW the author of the WP article, Glenn Kessler, is in so far over his head as a journalist and he's a complete asshole, to boot. Prior to documents being released by a Court last month, named witnesses had the opportunity to object if they didn't want their names released. Bill Clinton, for example, is named in the report and therefore we can surmise that he didn't object to his name being released. We can further surmise he didn't object to his name being released because he had nothing to hide. On the other hand, the documents list a "John Doe 174" (out of 200 "John Does"), whose descriptions and actions seem to match up perfectly with Trump, and whose name does not appear in the report otherwise. There are 7 mentions of John Doe 174 in the report, according to Business Insider. However details related to the activities of John Doe 174 and Epstein remains redacted. It's reasonable to surmise Trump aka John Doe 174 objected to the release of his name in connection with the Epstein documents.

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-doe-jeffrey-epstein-documents-unsealed-2024-1?op=1

Then there's the problematic issue of Trump making Alex Acosta, the US District Attorney who gave Epstein his first, extremely generous plea deal while under pressure from Epstein's wealthy and powerful friends, and even allowed Epstein to serve his prison time in the offices of his attorney, into a member of his very first Cabinet (Secretary of HHS) when Trump became president. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

FWIW the author of the WP article, Glenn Kessler, is in so far over his head as a journalist and he's a complete asshole, to boot. Prior to documents being released by a Court last month, named witnesses had the opportunity to object if they didn't want their names released. Bill Clinton, for example, is named in the report and therefore we can surmise that he didn't object to his name being released. We can further surmise he didn't object to his name being released because he had nothing to hide. On the other hand, the documents list a "John Doe 174" (out of 200 "John Does"), whose descriptions and actions seem to match up perfectly with Trump, and whose name does not appear in the report otherwise. There are 7 mentions of John Doe 174 in the report, according to Business Insider. However details related to the activities of John Doe 174 and Epstein remains redacted. It's reasonable to surmise Trump aka John Doe 174 objected to the release of his name in connection with the Epstein documents.

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-doe-jeffrey-epstein-documents-unsealed-2024-1?op=1

Then there's the problematic issue of Trump making Alex Acosta, the US District Attorney who gave Epstein his first, extremely generous plea deal while under pressure from Epstein's wealthy and powerful friends, and even allowed Epstein to serve his prison time in the offices of his attorney, into a member of his very first Cabinet (Secretary of HHS) when Trump became president. 

Honestly, I don't give a shit, and the last thing we should do is sidetrack this thread talking about the speculative relationship between those two morally bankrupt shitstains. there's an epstein thread somewhere around here for that. 

Edited by Blotto

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is he supposed to have saved a bunch of money from his teaching salary and national guard pay, while paying (I assume) for IVF treatments and raising two kids?  Or his salary from the US house?  Or governorship?  What pile of money should he have in investments?

I never said anything about a "pile of money." But he was in the House of Reps making a $174,000 for over a decade while simultaneously receiving two pensions (military and teacher). That is a pretty substantial combined income. Yes, someone with that income should have separate investments apart from the pensions. Not having a single investment even in something like a mutual fund is really surprising. I'm not critical of him by any means because of it, but it isn't ideal financial planning for the average person in that situation. Maybe he just lives paycheck to paycheck or maybe he donates substantially all of it. All good either way.  It was just an observation. 

25 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Honestly, I don't give a shit, and the last thing we should do is sidetrack this thread talking about the speculative relationship between those two morally bankrupt shitstains. there's an epstein thread somewhere around here for that. 

I'm not here to sidetrack the thread. I posted to clear up some misinformation in this actual thread. And I was very nice about it. Among the nicest posts ever, of all time! I'll bet 99 percent, maybe even 100 percent of everyone here understands that. I'm the nicest of all posters. Literally. I've never fucked up a post in my life. And my children know that. They're just kids but they know how to post and how to be kind. We learned many, many, many lessons together watching the brilliant Hannibal Lecter. What a brilliant man! And the movie about him was absolutely fantastic. Did you know they wanted me to play the role of Dr. Lecter in the movie? But I said no, because I have too much respect for the man and they made him seem much worse than he was in REAL LIFE! However I must point out you have at least 3 posts on this page alone about Epstein so for you to "thread police" me seems a bit much. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Why is only Vance out campaigning?

I beginning to think it’s sinking in with Trump that he’s going to get boat raced and the thought of campaigning no longer appeals to him. He’s focusing on the grift and legal shenanigans in November.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

My best friend since 7th grade has been a professor at Chadron State College for 20 years. He’s the guy I went to Berkshire Hathaway weekend with in May.

A friend of his was one of Walz’s students at Alliance and said he is a fantastic teacher.

Also my friend was on the distinguished Alumni committee and when Walz’s turn came to be honored, they were asked to hold off for reasons. (Nebraska = Republican governor, CSC = state funded cow college, possible budget retaliation)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I beginning to think it’s sinking in with Trump that he’s going to get boat raced and the thought of campaigning no longer appeals to him. He’s focusing on the grift and legal shenanigans in November.

If the R's are planning on a new coup, he doesn't need to campaign.  That's assuming they succeed.  If they lose, then he can blame it all on Vance and claim he would have won bigly if he had been able to campaign, which he couldn't because he was too busy fighting the numerous witch hunts the evil commies have launched against him.  In his twisted mind, he'll always come out the winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm confused. He didn't mention anything about wanting to fuck his daughter. I thought that was a totally normal thing and not weird at all. I guess Tim must be the weird one. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I know from an optics perspective that is good, but frankly it isn't great money management to not have any retirement investments outside of pensions. 

That's just being a regular working person in America.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Hope is giving very strong bi vibes, and I'm here for it. Gay up the campaign (obv not too much for the normies).

eta: tho my recent gaydar history is not great

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, safe sex said:

That's just being a regular working person in America.

No doubt, but he isn't a regular working person. He was in Congress for 12 years and governor for 5 more, all while also having two separate pensions. An average person will totally relate to not having investments, but it is still slightly peculiar that he doesn't. 

20 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Hope is giving very strong bi vibes, and I'm here for it. Gay up the campaign (obv not too much for the normies).

Has it not been established that all females are about 3 cosmos from a girl/girl encounter?  Do you have such a body count?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Obviously it's none of my business who she sleeps with, just like it's none of anyone's business who anyone sleeps with. I would certainly never just ask her. 🙄

But an openly queer kid of a major political figure would be huge for every terrified queer kid in a state that is threatening their right to exist, not just young girls in general. So yeah, it'd be really fucking cool if she is some flavor of the rainbow, but if it's never addressed that's also whatever.

Have you missed out the organizations that Emma Emhoff advocates for? She is a huge supporter, advocate and ally of the LGBTQ community and, especially, the black trans community.

Hope Walz was just thrust into the national spotlight so let’s tap the brakes on speculating what she might or might not be. It’s none of our damn business and she doesn’t owe us a damn thing. She’s not running for office.

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Also, she's 23 years old. She's not a kid. She seems like a great young woman.

She’s also not running for office.Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Have you missed out the organizations that Emma Emhoff advocates for? She is a huge supporter, advocate and ally of the LGBTQ community and, especially, the black trans community.

Hope Walz was just thrust into the national spotlight so let’s tap the brakes on speculating what she might or might not be. It’s none of our damn business and she doesn’t owe us a damn thing. She’s not running for office.

She’s also not running for office.Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

Were you under the impression that I was demanding she come out? Were you under the impression that I thought she was going to be living in the White House? I'm not expecting her to give speeches or anything like that. Out and open existence is in itself important. If who she loves and dates is never made public knowledge, I will lose no sleep. But, if she chooses to make that knowledge public, and she is in-fact bi or gay or whatever variation of not-straight she might be, that would be really cool. That's all I was getting at.

Yes, I was unaware of Emma Emhoff's entire existence. I think this may be the first time "Emma Emhoff" has ever appeared on Surly. I must confess I have paid almost no attention to the Second Gentleman, beyond being aware of his advocacy for reproductive rights, so I've paid even less attention to the rest of his family, like most of America. I appreciate you informing me! That's rad as fuck.

But you're being a dick about this.

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Were you under the impression that I was demanding she come out? Were you under the impression that I thought she was going to be living in the White House? I'm not expecting her to give speeches or anything like that. Out and open existence is in itself important.

Yes, I was unaware of Emma Emhoff's entire existence. I think this may be the first time "Emma Emhoff" has ever appeared on Surly. I must confess I have paid almost no attention to the Second Gentleman, beyond being aware of his advocacy for reproductive rights, so I've paid even less attention to the rest of his family, like most of America. I appreciate you informing me! That's rad as fuck.

But you're being a dick about this.

I’m really sorry you think I’m being a dick. Your comment struck me as strange and rubbed me the wrong way. Hope seems like an amazing kid, but she deserves privacy and online speculation about her personal life feels icky to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

How can I make a contribution to the Harris campaign without giving up a bunch of information that causes them to hound me forever? I’m already dealing with way too many spam calls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Dbeasy said:

How can I make a contribution to the Harris campaign without giving up a bunch of information that causes them to hound me forever? I’m already dealing with way too many spam calls.

Well, you can send it over to your pal Kermie and I’ll make sure she gets it for you…

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, safe sex said:

just asking: 

would you care to elaborate exactly what you saw in that short clip that set off your gaydar?

Was the the baggy jeans and hat?