[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

some of y'all are becoming as bad as MAGA crying about mainstream media.

It literally doesn't take but two seconds to check and see that he was honorably discharged or understand that retirements from his position within the military are known months or even a year in advance. There isn't anything to scrutinize regarding his military service of a 24 year veteran.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

They're leaning into the Stolen Valor claim because it works. In fact, the guy who's coordinating it is the same guy who led the Swift Boat effort against Kerry.  This time, however, he's being helped by Musk.

Here's a thread by an account that has been around since 2010:

Here's an unroll of it:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1821319961136263411.html

Bottom line is that a guy who has dedicated the last 15 years to finding and exposing Stolen Valor investigated all the claims and came to the conclusion that it's a nothing-burger.

That should be that, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

It literally doesn't take but two seconds to check and see that he was honorably discharged or understand that retirements from his position within the military are known months or even a year in advance. There isn't anything to scrutinize regarding his military service of a 24 year veteran.

Or the fact that he retired months before his platoon was deployed and was already a declared candidate for Congress when there were rumblings of being sent to Iraq. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So apparently Kamala met with this Uncommitted Group before the rally and said she wanted to have a continued conversation with them.  Then they decided to heckle her at the rally anyways. Lovely. 

Protesting is good. This is a worthy cause. The left has slowly but surely moved the Dems back into better policy . But leftists are the worst fucking strategists when it comes to election politics. No wonder 82 year old Bernie is still the GOAT and no one else has truly been able to step up. Even though I agree with them on most things, the shit leftists pull during election season is so fucking stupid and detrimental to their goals. 

I understand why this happened tonight in Michigan. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a regular occurrence at rallies moving forward. 

In an earlier era, this was what was known as a "Sister Soulja Moment."  It's where a candidate publicly flogs a part of his/her base to ease concerns of moderate independents.

Now, when Bill Clinton did it, it was contrived and premeditated.  And frankly, it should have given Democrats a lot more pause about Clinton and Clintonism than it in fact did.  But it was effective in causing some people who otherwise would've voted for Bush (or Perot) to vote for Clinton.

This was much more organic.  They came to her and heckled her.  But it has the same effect.  Look--their position isn't popular in America; it's particularly unpopular among swing voters.  So telling them to shut the fuck up in a public setting is probably good electoral politics.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When I read stories from legitimate news sources, they state the facts and known timeline. And they state what they don't know, and most likely cannot easily find out in 2 seconds on their own.

From the latest CNN story about Walz. 

Walz filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission as a candidate for Congress on February 10, 2005. The next month, after the guard announced a possible deployment to Iraq within two years, Walz’s campaign issued a statement saying he intended to stay in the race.

Walz served 24 years in the Army National Guard, retiring in May 2005, according to the Minnesota National Guard. Service members often submit their paperwork for retirement months before their retirement date. It’s unclear when Walz submitted his papers for retirement. A National Guard article on his unit’s deployment states that it received alert orders to deploy to Iraq in July 2005 – two months after Walz retired.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So telling them to shut the fuck up in a public setting is probably good electoral politics.

I think what she did was fine.  Democracy is about everyone's voices being heard, but she was speaking at her rally.  It was fucking rude to heckle her and interrupt her speech.

A very public meeting between the uncommitted movement leaders and Kamala/Walz between now and November will go a long way.  There's a time and a place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, heso said:

First two paragraphs from the top story on my news feed this morning “Tim Walz Military Record Under Scrutiny”

0c9a6fbad51bb289a1f1dab90c9103dd.jpg

They are trying to learn hard into this angle because it’s all they’ve got.

They got his transcripts under review. Dont think for one minute that they cant get this whole deal blown for him. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When I read stories from legitimate news sources, they state the facts and known timeline. And they state what they don't know, and most likely cannot easily find out in 2 seconds on their own.

So a huge new organization can't do the same research a random on Twitter can do? Got it. Dude on Twitter is getting all the military paperwork but CNN, CBS, etc cannot....make it make sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

And if anyone is really into Walz being a good human politician - he specifically was very concerned about Hatch Act violations for being both a candidate and a deployed servicemember in the employ of the United States Military.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So a huge new organization can't do the same research a random on Twitter can do? Got it. Dude on Twitter is getting all the military paperwork but CNN, CBS, etc cannot....make it make sense.

That was the CNN story about the military facts and timeline. The one unknown looks to be the exact date that Walz submitted his retirement papers but as CNN wrote that doesn't matter because Walz' retirement date was before the unit received the Iraqi orders.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Back to politics.  I mean, in all sincerity, fuck these pro Gaza protesters.  I was listening to CNN or MSNBC earlier today and they were doing a story on all the Muslims in Michigan that still aren't going to vote for Harris and will vote third party because they are upset with Biden's role in the Israel-Gaza War.  If these fuckers cost Harris the election because they are too stupid to realize that a Trump presidency will lead to the total annihilation of Palestinians in Gaza and probably the West Bank also then they are so about to fuck around and find out sadly.  Shit, I don't agree with everything the Dems do but it amazes me how some people are too stupid to understand the binary choice in this election and the consequences it will lead to if they vote the wrong way.   

They are basically saying, "My only issue I care about are the Palestinians in Gaza so I am going to vote third party which will actually hurt the Palestinians in Gaza even more".  That is some fucking Aggie logic right there. 

Worse yet, Trump will deport them to Gaza and then a week later, he'll give Bibi the real green light to level the place.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Worse yet, Trump will deport them to Gaza and then a week later, he'll give Bibi the real green light to level the place.

While I agree with your overall sentiment, the place has already been leveled.

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think what she did was fine.  Democracy is about everyone's voices being heard, but she was speaking at her rally.  It was fucking rude to heckle her and interrupt her speech.

A very public meeting between the uncommitted movement leaders and Kamala/Walz between now and November will go a long way.  There's a time and a place. 

It would've been merely rude if they had simply heckled her at the rally.  But they had met with her immediately before the rally, and she heard them out and expressed some agreement with their position.

And right after having (what sounds like was maybe) a productive meeting, they go out and heckle her at her rally?  That's not just rude, that's downright dickish.  I mean, seriously--fuck them.  No, they don't get a public meeting in the future (very public or even just kinda public).  She shouldn't reward that behavior.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

It would've been merely rude if they had simply heckled her at the rally.  But they had met with her immediately before the rally, and she heard them out and expressed some agreement with their position.

And right after having (what sounds like was maybe) a productive meeting, they go out and heckle her at her rally?  That's not just rude, that's downright dickish.  I mean, seriously--fuck them.  No, they don't get a public meeting in the future (very public or even just kinda public).  She shouldn't reward that behavior.

I’m going to give a small benefit of the doubt that she spoke to the two leaders in the reception line and these were some attendees who went rogue or hadn’t yet gotten the message from leadership.

Also can’t rule out just bad actors trying to agitate 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I’m going to give a small benefit of the doubt that she spoke to the two leaders in the reception line and these were some attendees who went rogue or hadn’t yet gotten the message from leadership.

I've seen reports that this was the case - the people who heckled her weren't part of the conversations she had prior to the event. Hoping for her sake that is true.

This is from a conversation between Bill Kristol and James Carville before the Primary last week.  Although Carville's comments are specific here to "The Squad", I think it in encompasses all who are on that wing of the party, including those who protested yesterday.

JAMES CARVILLE:

...There’s a big event today in the Democratic Party. Huge. That is the primary election in the first Congressional district of Missouri, think of it as St. Louis, where you have the ultimate, what I’d call “squadette” or whatever in Cori Bush. They are—Mark Mellman and them—and she’s of course, let’s just say she’s very pro-Palestinian, to put it at that, but it’s an understatement.

She’s running against a guy named Wesley Bell, who’s actually a prosecutor, and describes himself as a Black liberal. Remember that used scare people now. Oh, Jesus Christ. Yes, of course. Come on in. They put a bunch of money in there, but they’re running a really smart campaign, all right? They’re not running it. He’s got good consultants. They’re talking about she voted against the Infrastructure bill. One of 10 people. I hope I’m right, but I think Bell’s going to win and tomorrow, I will be commenting on it.

BILL KRISTOL:

That would be the second person in the squad to be defeated and I think in both cases, the campaigns… Even though a lot of people were interested in it, probably because of Middle East politics and other stuff, the actual messaging of the campaign was more about just not being a radical obstructionist really, and being a mainstream liberal.

JAMES CARVILLE:

These people have literally been… Not only are they wrong about everything, they destroy everything...

https://conversationswithbillkristol.org/transcript/james-carville-on-harris-walz-v-trump-vance/

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

image.gif.71a5f61c0416e1c9ddc6fea8d6ca8a22.gif

Exactly.  He retired after 24 years.  Welp, I guess I have no choice but to vote for the geriatric sociopath and his sofaphiliac running mate.

This is such quaint, 2004 politics.

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

They're leaning into the Stolen Valor claim because it works. In fact, the guy who's coordinating it is the same guy who led the Swift Boat effort against Kerry.  This time, however, he's being helped by Musk.

It’s not going to work. It’s part of their “let’s throw everything at the wall” tactic. 

They are freaking out because nothing they are doing is working this time around. They are too stupid to realize people are sick of their anti- hate-filled be angry all the time tactic.

Why do you think Fox people are always screaming “the polls are juiced” every night?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

This is from a conversation between Bill Kristol and James Carville before the Primary last week.  Although Carville's comments are specific here to "The Squad", I think it in encompasses all who are on that wing of the party, including those who protested yesterday.

JAMES CARVILLE:

...There’s a big event today in the Democratic Party. Huge. That is the primary election in the first Congressional district of Missouri, think of it as St. Louis, where you have the ultimate, what I’d call “squadette” or whatever in Cori Bush. They are—Mark Mellman and them—and she’s of course, let’s just say she’s very pro-Palestinian, to put it at that, but it’s an understatement.

She’s running against a guy named Wesley Bell, who’s actually a prosecutor, and describes himself as a Black liberal. Remember that used scare people now. Oh, Jesus Christ. Yes, of course. Come on in. They put a bunch of money in there, but they’re running a really smart campaign, all right? They’re not running it. He’s got good consultants. They’re talking about she voted against the Infrastructure bill. One of 10 people. I hope I’m right, but I think Bell’s going to win and tomorrow, I will be commenting on it.

BILL KRISTOL:

That would be the second person in the squad to be defeated and I think in both cases, the campaigns… Even though a lot of people were interested in it, probably because of Middle East politics and other stuff, the actual messaging of the campaign was more about just not being a radical obstructionist really, and being a mainstream liberal.

JAMES CARVILLE:

These people have literally been… Not only are they wrong about everything, they destroy everything...

https://conversationswithbillkristol.org/transcript/james-carville-on-harris-walz-v-trump-vance/

Yeah, we're told that Harris' (or Biden's) stance on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is going to hurt in the general but these people are getting primaried in their own party.  (Jamaal Bowman and now Bush.)

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, heso said:

First two paragraphs from the top story on my news feed this morning “Tim Walz Military Record Under Scrutiny”

0c9a6fbad51bb289a1f1dab90c9103dd.jpg

They are trying to learn hard into this angle because it’s all they’ve got.

Cool, cool.

Hey media, now do Trump's military service record.  How hany deferments for "bone spurs" did he have again? Was it 4 or 5?

Oh right, it was only 4... the 5th deferment was for college.

GTFO with this BS.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, we're told that Harris' (or Biden's) stance on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is going to hurt in the general but these people are getting primaried in their own party.  (Jamaal Bowman and now Bush.)

TO be fair, Bush is a lunatic. 

Walz should go on TV and proclaim he'd be happy to compare his service record with either "Private Bone Spurs", or "Corporal Couch" any day of the week 

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 7

Just now, DixonHur said:

Walz should go on TV and proclaim he'd be happy to compare his service record with either "Private Bone Spurs", or "Captain Couch" any day of the week 

100%. Harris/Walz need to use this story as a opportunity for him to brag on his service especially in relation to vance and especially Trump being a draft dodger.

It's wrong that some want Walz to say "GOP is stupid" and ignore the situation. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

the majority of the crowd didn’t have time for that noise. 

exactly. There are two scenarios. 

1.) they dont have enough votes to matter - if so fuck em 

OR

2.) They do have enough votes to matter, in which case they have 3 options

a.) Vote Kamala

b.) Dont Vote

c.) Vote for someone other than Kamala

options b and c will end up horse-fucking the Palenstinians right up the ass. If the protesters don't give a shit about their precious cause, why should Kamala

Get on the fucking bus or get fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Yep.  Just looked up Vance's record.

He's portraying himself as Rambo, but he was was a fuck combat correspondent in the public affairs department, and was deployed in Iraq for about 6 months.

Christiane Amanpour has more combat experience than that couch fucker.

I give Vance credit for serving and he did serve in a combat area. I also think it's fine if our leaders haven't served in the military. I don't see it as a positive or negative.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

100%. Harris/Walz need to use this story as a opportunity for him to brag on his service especially in relation to vance and especially Trump being a draft dodger.

It's wrong that some want Walz to say "GOP is stupid" and ignore the situation. 

Trump's daddy used his connections to make something up to get Trump out of serving. Go for it, idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Blotto said:

exactly. There are two scenarios. 

1.) they dont have enough votes to matter - if so fuck em 

OR

2.) They do have enough votes to matter, in which case they have 3 options

a.) Vote Kamala

b.) Dont Vote

c.) Vote for someone other than Kamala

options b and c will end up horse-fucking the Palenstinians right up the ass. If the protesters don't give a shit about their precious cause, why should Kamala

Get on the fucking bus or get fucked. 

Careful sir. That's not how you talk to delicate far left-progressives who have have their hands helf, their snowflake feelings respected, and their single issue wedge topics catered to, otherwise they might fuck themselves even worse, along with everyone else in the process, and then what will you have to say to that, hmmm? If you keep it up, they might elect a bunch of people like Cori Bush who can't even get re-elected becuase of her far left views. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

He's portraying himself as Rambo, but he was was a fuck combat correspondent in the public affairs department, and was deployed in Iraq for about 6 months.

Does this mean Anne Marget's not coming

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I give Vance credit for serving and he did serve in a combat area. I also think it's fine if our leaders haven't served in the military. I don't see it as a positive or negative.

I get your point, I was a meteorologist in the Navy.  So I recognize that being in a combat area, and seeing combat are two very different things.

According to JD himself, before he began attacking a 24 year military vet, he's never seen "actual combat".

Now, all of the sudden he's portraying himself as a combat vet which is at minimum juicing your resume, and at worst stolen valor.

If he did fire the first volley at Walz this would be a non issue, but he went there so now his lack of record is fair game.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also think it's fine if our leaders haven't served in the military. 

I also think it's fine if our leaders haven't served in the military if they don't trash others who have served in the military.

Like I and others have said, the best thing for Harris and Walz to do is lean into the bullshit Swift Boat campaign and put Walz's record up next to Lieutenant Bonespurs.  Put it on a loop for a few weeks at rallies, Twitter, Tik Tok, interviews, etc.  But then let it die.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The willingness to serve in any capacity is admirable. And I don’t blame individual soldiers for where and how they end up deployed by politicians and military brass. But “he didn’t even volunteer to shoot people in an unjust war” is not the insult JD Vance seems to think it is. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Plus he was a 41 year old man in 2005 when he retired. What do they think he should have done? Extended his service beyond the already served 24 years and storm Fallujah?

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Careful sir. That's not how you talk to delicate far left-progressives who have have their hands helf, their snowflake feelings respected, and their single issue wedge topics catered to, otherwise they might fuck themselves even worse, along with everyone else in the process, and then what will you have to say to that, hmmm? If you keep it up, they might elect a bunch of people like Cori Bush who can't even get re-elected becuase of her far left views. 

Not without some help from a campaign waged against her by AIPAC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/07/us/politics/bush-bell-aipac-missouri-primary.html

AIPAC Demonstrates Its Clout With Defeat of a Second ‘Squad’ Member

The pro-Israel group put more than $8 million into a primary to help beat Representative Cori Bush of Missouri, the second Democrat it has successfully targeted for not supporting Israel in the war.

• Rage+1 3

23 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Plus he was a 41 year old man in 2005 when he retired. What do they think he should have done? Extended his service beyond the already served 24 years and storm Fallujah?

Your post is the reason why Walz needs to talk about the issue. Your sentence implies that storming Fallujah was part of the equation. It wasn't. Walz put in a request for retirement and it was accepted PRIOR to the unit being told they were deploying to Iraq. He may have even hit his retirement date before the deployment was announced.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

I get your point, I was a meteorologist in the Navy.  So I recognize that being in a combat area, and seeing combat are two very different things.

According to JD himself, before he began attacking a 24 year military vet, he's never seen "actual combat".

Now, all of the sudden he's portraying himself as a combat vet which is at minimum juicing your resume, and at worst stolen valor.

If he did fire the first volley at Walz this would be a non issue, but he went there so now his lack of record is fair game.

Exactly.  You gonna take a shot at a 24yr enlisted man for "stolen valor", then you better be a front line war hero not a fucking paper pusher. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2