[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are you really struggling to understand who exactly he was talking to there?

Are you really struggling with the idea that his message isn't going to reach many Republicans?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/kamala-harris-mcdonalds-minimum-wage-b2594233.html

The next president of the United States could be a former McDonald’s employee.

More than 13 percent of Americans, or roughly 41 million people, have worked at a McDonald’s restaurant at some point in their lives. That includes Kamala Harris, who worked at a restaurant for a summer while she was in college.

Harris mentioned her brief stint on the fryer when she joined the picket line with fast food workers in Las Vegas in 2019 and during an appearance on The Drew Barrymore Show in April. (Her order? “Quarter pounder with cheese and fries,” and barbecue sauce for dipping if she gets McNuggets).

Now, the Democratic presidential candidate’s campaign is nodding to her summer job to highlight her upbringing and a platform to boost American workers that stands in stark contrast to her Republican rival Donald Trump, who “has no plan to help the middle class — just more tax cuts for billionaires,” according to a recent ad.

McDonald’s is all over influential Americans’ resumes (former House Speaker Paul Ryan and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos have also worked in McDonald’s restaurants), but service worker labor unions and fast food employees have been leading nationwide efforts to improve working conditions for lower-wage workers, including calls to boost the federal hourly minimum wage to at least $15.

They could soon have a powerful advocate in one of their former coworkers.

Harris — who has earned endorsements from several influential unions, including Service Employees International Union, which supported the nationwide Fight for $15 campaign — stood with striking McDonald’s workers and protesters as she was launching her first presidential campaign.

“If we want to talk about these golden arches being a symbol of the best of America, well, the arches are falling short,” she said from Las Vegas in June 2019. “We have got to recognize that working people deserve livable wages.”

“I did the french fries and I did the ice cream,” she told workers.

Spoiler

“There was not a family relying on me to pay the rent, put food on the table and keep the bills paid by the end of the month,” she added. “But the reality of McDonald’s is that a majority of the folk who are working there today are relying on that income to sustain a household and a family.”

Fast food jobs are often denigrated as temporary employment for teenagers looking for summer work, echoing Republicans’ “bootstraps” mentality that frequently overlooks the more than 3 million fast food workers across the US; in 2022, the typical fast food worker was a 26-year-old woman making just over $13 an hour, according to federal labor data.

McDonald’s corporate-owned restaurants raised their hourly wage up to $17 in 2021, though roughly 95 percent of the company’s 14,000 restaurants are independently owned, with separate wage rates. The company has stated that it recognizes workers’ rights to join a union.

When President Joe Biden tapped her as his running mate in 2020, Harris renewed her support for raising the federal minimum hourly wage to $15, which is nearly double the current minimum wage of $7.25 — which has not been raised since 2009.

“Raising the minimum wage is about the floor and not the ceiling,” she said during a virtual rally with fast food workers and Senator Bernie Sanders in October 2020.

Most states have raised their minimum wages above the federal minimum, but $7.25 an hour remains the minimum wage in 20 others.

Georgia and Wyoming have set their minimum to just $5.15, lower than the federal rate, which applies instead.

Raising the federally set minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour would lift nearly 1 million people out of poverty and raise wages for more than 30 million Americans, according to the federal government’s nonpartisan budget office.

Congress failed to approve a minimum wage hike as part of a larger COVID-19 aid package in 2021. The vice president, who acts as the Senate’s presiding officer, was under pressure from a group of congressional Democrats at the time to ignore nonbinding guidance that the measure could be included in that legislation.

Fast food workers in California won a major victory earlier this year with a measure that raises the hourly minimum wage to $20. The state also has the first fast food workers union, through the Service Employees International Union, after more than a decade of labor battles and strikes at 450 restaurants to have a seat at the table.

The Raise the Wage Act, which has stalled in a deadlocked Congress, would gradually raise the federal minimum wage to $17 per hour by 2029. The subminimum wage for tipped workers – which is set at $2.13 an hour — would effectively be eliminated by 2030.

Harris co-sponsored a version of that legislation when she was a senator.

Nearly 30 percent of US workers, roughly 44 million people, make less than $17 per hour, according to the Economic Policy Institute.

The “real” value of the federal minimum wage has gradually declined, reaching a 66-year low in 2023, with its buying power worth 42 percent less than it did at its highest point in 1968, according to the think tank. “This significant loss in purchasing power means that the federal minimum wage today is nowhere close to a living wage,” according to a 2023 report.

A “real” minimum wage — if it kept pace with inflation and productivity growth — would be $23 an hour by now, according to the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

“Vice President Harris is the daughter of a working mother and worked at a McDonald’s to put herself through college,” according to a statement from campaign senior spokesperson Lauren Hitt.

“She knows what middle-class families go through,” she added. “Donald Trump, on the other hand, is running to give more handouts to his ultra-wealthy friends at the expense of working Americans. That’s the contrast voters are going to see between now and Election Day.”

• Hook 'Em 5

Anyone know when she will release her actual platform? Her website just asks for money.

I don’t think she has to. She has changed positions on everything she stood for via campaign statements on background. Just vibes to win. It’s working.

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Her platform is defeating the awful human being that is Donald Trump and relegating him back to irrelevance. Good enough for me.

With the added bonus of MN Hot Dish!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

I don’t think she has to. She has changed positions on everything she stood for via campaign statements on background. Just vibes to win. It’s working.

Did you get dropped on your head at some point in the past few years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Her platform is defeating the awful human being that is Donald Trump and relegating him back to irrelevance. Good enough for me.

Yeah - that’s goal number 1. I’d like to know what her other goals are as she’s going to be the leader of the US. She’s states most of the big things on the campaign trail. I’d just like to see it on her site. I’m sending angry republicans information and platforms in an effort to get them to get their heads out of their asses (some are lost - have a few that might flip).
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

It sure is. Not Trump? Under 75? Good enough for me!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 8/9/2024 at 9:50 PM, Dbeasy said:

So, some posts on social media denigrating Walz’ military service really upset me, badly. I’m the son of a disabled vet who passed many years ago  

So, instead of blasting all the Trumpers publicly, I personally messaged each one with thoughts about why denigrating military service is unacceptable. I don’t know if it will do any good but it did wonders for my mental health. 

Ditto. There's a new one making the rounds on Facebook today.  It really would be nice to see the Dems trot out a series of veterans at the convention to speak in support of Walls.

This stuff with Vance and veterans shitting on Walz's service and retirement reminds me that just because someone served their country, it doesn't mean they can't be a massive cunt. Thank you for your service. You're still a massive cunt. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This stuff with Vance and veterans shitting on Walz's service and retirement reminds me that just because someone served their country, it doesn't mean they can't be a massive cunt. Thank you for your service. You're still a massive cunt. 

I mean…yeah. 
image.png.be061d6096deed2091db4bf45b616886.png

image.jpeg.652df56db5a18defb7808eae35aac30c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, fuggled said:

Ditto. There's a new one making the rounds on Facebook today.  It really would be nice to see the Dems trot out a series of veterans at the convention to speak in support of Walls.

They have Buttigieg on every news channel speaking in support of him. Mark Kelly doing the same. Those are two pretty high profile veterans.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Not sure if it was real, but I like the Harris Obviously sign.

Doesn't seem to be sanctioned by the campaign, but the internet has it.

2 hours ago, fuggled said:

1 hour ago, royiv said:

They have Buttigieg on every news channel speaking in support of him. Mark Kelly doing the same. Those are two pretty high profile veterans.

Throw in Kinzinger and some other R-adjacent veterans as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

She needs to pull in some help here …

Agree, this trope with "latinos" as one single voting block is ridiculous and a key reason Trump won 2016, imo. Democrats better have moved on from this failed concept long ago.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, pacman said:

Agree, this trope with "latinos" as one single voting block is ridiculous and a key reason Trump won 2016, imo. Democrats better have moved on from this failed concept long ago.

I mean, I think she knows how to win Arizona and NV Latinos. And not South Texas and South Florida Latinos. She’s actually been strong with Latinos in her polling 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Shawn reign man Kemp, Gary the glove Payton, Sleepy Sam Perkins, Def Leppard Schrempf, Nate the assassin McMillan..... 

....we're getting the band back together! 

Ricky Pierce, Vincent Askew

9 minutes ago, YChang said:

Man those Sonics tormented my Rockets. 

this

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Wait, Wait, Wait, you mean to tell me there are groups within the group of Latino's?  All this time I thought they were one unified people with a singular goal.  

59 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Wait, Wait, Wait, you mean to tell me there are groups within the group of Latino's?  All this time I thought they were one unified people with a singular goal.  

to punch their old man in the face when his soccer club wins? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Shawn reign man Kemp, Gary the glove Payton, Sleepy Sam Perkins, Def Leppard Schrempf, Nate the assassin McMillan..... 

....we're getting the band back together! 

Damn. Memories. The Sonics were my team in the 90s.

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

I’m Hispanic and I don’t really like the term Latino, but that’s just me. To me, Latinos from California are Chicanos, Latinos from Texas are Mexicanos, and Latinos from Florida are Cubans. Chicanos are Mexican but I have never heard someone from Texas call themselves that. And Mexicans and Cubans are way different from one another. 

I took a class on Latino Politics at UT and the voting+education trends were like this in the early 2000s:

Cubans - Republican (most educated) 

Mexicans - Rep/Dem Mix

Puerto Ricans - Democrat (least educated)

But this was a generalization for second generation Latinos and above, this does not include immigrants. And it was from 20 years ago so the stats should be way different today. It’s just an example to show how Latinos shouldn’t be lumped into one singular group. 

• Hook 'Em 1