[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

15 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This is our chance to say fuck you to the GQP nonsense. It won’t end it. But we can clearly say we’re not going to worry about their bigotry. No more concerns about how brothers who live in an alternate universe respond to moving forward.

I love joe. But someone at an age well past when most people retire is not the best person for making the case.

And after a really successful night with incredible energy that was obvious even from my iPad screen my patience for listening to people worry about how bigots will react is gone

I agree with you. 

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

Idk what your point was through all the whining tbh. 

Last night's messaging was crisp, clear and completely on point establishing the basis for the Democratic platform on a national stage in the full spotlight and you are over here whining about shit like an old boomer than has nothing to do with what they are doing. 

The narrative was strong, the order of speakers was fantastic and the energy in the room was so electric/high it came through even on small screens. There was absolutely no talk of extreme policy of any kind, but lots of talk about work left to be done without disparaging the work that has been done. 

Listen, I know this isn't really you, but I woke up this morning and caught up on this thread and watching Troph show up to fucking bitch about her grievances over Biden was a huge fucking wet blanket all over a great thread. She's going to show up and complain every single time, can we just not respond to her and give her the oxygen on this? It's like reasoning with someone on the football board. "Sure, all these great things seem to be happening since this change was made, but I'm still bitter about the change and want to go back to the way things were." It's like a weird boomer concept manifesting on someone who's lived some pretty progressive ideals in her life. It's bizarre. 

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Biden dropping out took all the air out of Trump's sails. He lost the only thing he could campaign against, Biden's age. Now he's the old fuck and he's flailing. People are finally snapping out of the funk and maliese they were feeling. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to keep going to reach it. 

Biden was always going to be more popular in retrospect. He was fighting a multi-pronged war against a press that desired a return of Trump so they could stay relevant. 

These are astute points. The fact that MSM actually wanted Trump for ratings makes my blood boil.

• Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, troph said:

These are astute points. The fact that MSM actually wanted Trump for ratings makes my blood boil.

This. They can’t be trusted, period

I wouldn’t go as far as Trump calling them the enemy of the people. I think they’re the enemy to truth and impartiality if it affects their profits 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, I know this isn't really you, but I woke up this morning and caught up on this thread and watching Troph show up to fucking bitch about her grievances over Biden was a huge fucking wet blanket all over a great thread. She's going to show up and complain every single time, can we just not respond to her and give her the oxygen on this? It's like reasoning with someone on the football board. "Sure, all these great things seem to be happening since this change was made, but I'm still bitter about the change and want to go back to the way things were." It's like a weird boomer concept manifesting on someone who's lived some pretty progressive ideals in her life. It's bizarre. 

Oh fuck off. You’ve never had one too many and drunk posted? I said on the Saturday/Sunday he dropped out I’d let it go. I did, except when I had three margaritas after  being dry for a month. I got carried away. I don’t do it every fucking time. I’ve done it once since Biden dropped out. And I’ve already said I wouldn’t do it again. Stop manufacturing rage.

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. They can’t be trusted, period

I wouldn’t go as far as Trump calling them the enemy of the people. I think they’re the enemy to truth and impartiality if it affects their profits 

The most infuriating part of this whole thing.

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Twitter is a cesspool filled with bots, but this post by Walz has over 225k likes, which is a lot. 

I cannot express enough how awesome it is to have a relatable and extremely normal candidate on the ticket. Think it's very likely Walz ends up being the most important VP candidate in recent memory. 

He’s the anti Trump / foil to Trump - a normal old white guy that isn’t a threat to humanity is a breath of fresh air.

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, troph said:

The most infuriating part of this whole thing.

He’s the anti Trump not Kamala - a normal old white guy that isn’t a threat to humanity is a breath of fresh air.

He’s the 2008 Biden of 2024 without the problem of sticking both feet in his mouth all the time 

Just a sidenote:  As an Eastern Time person, God-F*cking-Forbid anyone on the West Coast be forced to turn on a live TV event before 7 PM.  The highlights of Biden's speech are great, but good lord, it's like the NCAA championships in starting way too fucking late. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Just a sidenote:  As an Eastern Time person, God-F*cking-Forbid anyone on the West Coast be forced to turn on a live TV event before 7 PM.  The highlights of Biden's speech are great, but good lord, it's like the NCAA championships in starting way too fucking late. 

I agree with this. Same with the CFP finals. Like god fucking damn, just start something at a normal time for everyone but the west coast 

Just now, Js1 said:

He’s the 2008 Biden of 2024 without the problem of sticking both feet in his mouth all the time 

Well he doesn’t sniff residual shampoo fragrances, he’s not a life time politician and he seems like “one of us”… my love for Joe is well known, but I’ve never related well to him, Walz is very much like a typical granddad and that’s the appeal to me. 

8 minutes ago, troph said:

Well he doesn’t sniff residual shampoo fragrances, he’s not a life time politician and he seems like “one of us”… my love for Joe is well known, but I’ve never related well to him, Walz is very much like a typical granddad and that’s the appeal to me. 

The parallels to 2008 tickets are funny. You have a younger, dynamic minority candidate paired with an endearing white guy. And then you have an old man paired with a fucking moron.

Obvious differences being Obama was younger and Trump is no John McCain, but still 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Oh fuck off. You’ve never had one too many and drunk posted? I said on the Saturday/Sunday he dropped out I’d let it go. I did, except when I had three margaritas after  being dry for a month. I got carried away. I don’t do it every fucking time. I’ve done it once since Biden dropped out. And I’ve already said I wouldn’t do it again. Stop manufacturing rage.

You fuck off. I've absolutely had too many and drunk posted, and I've been appropriately dunked on by people as a result, and I sit and take my medicine. You said you'd let it go, then you didn't and were a wet blanket on a great thread, but I guess MY EXPERIENCE doesn't matter in regards to your behavior. And now you're here the next day continueing to defend your behavior and whine all over the fucking thread. When exactly is this dropping you speak of going to take place? 

You bum out a majority of the thread with your actual weirdo grievances, but you accuse me of manufactuing rage? The only rage I have is that things seem to be going great and you show up to fucking whine about poor Joe Biden, damn it's a shame the democrats seem like they might win this election! Try enjoying positive momentum and not pissing in everyone else's cheerios.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

It was funny watching the camera pan to her. You know a lot of people in that audience were staring a hole through her. But still, she is the reason we have a chance to finally put a stake in Donald Trump and be done with his era. She did the hard but necessary thing. Biden will be remembered for his sacrifice. His legacy is intact. He won't be the reason democracy failed. He'll be what history books are written about putting country before self. 

George R. R. Martin could not have written a better character

crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60;progressi

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This. And assuming Harris wins and there are still books in a few decades. History will remember Biden as one of the greatest presidents in our country’s history. He guided us out of fascism. And then selflessly stood aside for the good of the nation to keep democracy alive

He didn't do shit 'selflessly'.  He was offered 'plata o plomo' by Pelosi 'cause she's a fucking gangster.  History will write whatever will make him look good but let's not lie to ourselves. 

As she said, she did what she had to do for the good of the country

Edited by babysdaddy

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably true.

And, I am somewhat in agreement with troph.  For all my distaste for career politicians like Joe, they know how to get shit done.  Kamala, don't care if she's a woman, is a relative neophyte from an executive and legislative standpoint.

I suspect Joe Biden got as much done with an oppositional/defiant GOP and without decisive majorities in either house as is humanly possible.

We're going to miss that.

1. I think it's fair to say that we have all underestimated Kamala (and/or her team) from a campaigning standpoint.  She was my favorite in 2020, but not in my wildest dreams did I think that they would be able to put together this campaign like this, this quickly.  So, I'd give it a few beats before I start being concerned how she will handle Congress.  And, she has four years of experience dealing with Congress from the executive branch.  Obama didn't. 

2. Considering the Supreme Court may be the biggest obstacle to progress (abortion, gun control, DACA, how to craft executive orders) over the next 8 years, I think this is great time to have someone who thinks like a lawyer.  I get that any President will have lawyers on his team, but it may help to have a leader who really gets it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, I am somewhat in agreement with troph.  For all my distaste for career politicians like Joe, they know how to get shit done.  Kamala, don't care if she's a woman, is a relative neophyte from an executive and legislative standpoint.

You know what will make it a fuck ton easier and make her look like she's giving a master class on executive management? Giving her the Senate and the House.  Wreck fucking shop.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The parallels to 2008 tickets are funny. You have a younger, dynamic minority candidate paired with an endearing white guy. And then you have an old man paired with a fucking moron.

Obvious differences being Obama was younger and Trump is no John McCain, but still 

I can see that. Still think walz is way more relatable than Joe ever has been. But  the 2008 ticket and 2024 are quite similar as you suggest.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

You know what will make it a fuck ton easier and make her look like she's giving a master class on executive management? Giving her the Senate and the House.  Wreck fucking shop.

simon cowell GIF

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This. Schumer already has experience navigating a 50/50 Senate and Jeffries will have Pelosi helping him as well. Give her a trifecta and it’s Joever 

24 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I am team 6pm cst as the gold standard starting time of anything important. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 6

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love me some baseball but baseball players are not known for their mensa membership status. The IQ and critical thinking skills of a NBA or NFL locker room is much higher than MLB. 

This gets thrown around a lot in the CR but regarding college athletics, it is common for baseball prospects to academically qualify for many D1 programs. As a result baseball players coming into D1 usually have higher GPA's and SAT/ACT scores than their football and basketball counterparts.

Granted, those that are drafted right out of high school are pretty much limited to a high school education.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Whether 100% sincere or not, Kamala's frequent praising of Biden over the last month has been a great PR move. It feels sincere and it's not like voters hate Biden.

Why wouldn’t it be sincere?

10 minutes ago, Tuco said:

1. I think it's fair to say that we have all underestimated Kamala (and/or her team) from a campaigning standpoint.  She was my favorite in 2020, but not in my wildest dreams did I think that they would be able to put together this campaign like this, this quickly.  So, I'd give it a few beats before I start being concerned how she will handle Congress.  And, she has four years of experience dealing with Congress from the executive branch.  Obama didn't. 

2. Considering the Supreme Court may be the biggest obstacle to progress (abortion, gun control, DACA, how to craft executive orders) over the next 8 years, I think this is great time to have someone who thinks like a lawyer.  I get that any President will have lawyers on his team, but it may help to have a leader who really gets it. 

This is where I am at

1 hour ago, troph said:

Look, it’s gotta be this way. I agree 100%. It’s also ok to be frustrated one of the greatest administrations in our lifetimes was only 4 years. And given the state of politics and past precedent with how Obama was stymied it’s a reasonable concern to have for her administration.

y’all are all smart the fact that many of you can’t understand that point is really peculiar. 

I find it somewhat bewildering that you give the entirety of the credit for the Biden administration to Biden, and essentially characterize Harris as an empty suit who did Joe’s bidding for four years, and who had no significant individual impact or influence on the administration’s success. 

I see her as an incredibly influential teammate of Joe who played a great role in the accomplishments of the Biden administration.    I do not get how you credit the “Biden administration” and leave out Kamala’s influence and participation in that administration’s success - which you do by virtue of your suggestion that Harris could have an unsuccessful administration if she were elected….instead of Joe. 

if Harris wins, I think this country is going to go through some serious things. Some violent things. Things that require a young and healthy person to navigate the upcoming potential demise of MAGA, which will not go quietly or nonviolently. 

All respect to you, but when insiders right about this administration, they will say how great Joe is - and they will also perhaps comment on the behind-the-scenes story about Joe’s limitations, physically and mentally.  I think it will be shown that he was a very old man with the limitations of a very old man - and that the level of success that he achieved as a very old man as president will become the stuff of legend. While she was not a co-president, I think we will find that she played a greater role in the administration than has been publicly admitted - all for political reasons, of course.

• Hook 'Em 5

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Whether 100% sincere or not, Kamala's frequent praising of Biden over the last month has been a great PR move. It feels sincere and it's not like voters hate Biden.

Biden ranks somewhere among the top of our greatest presidents. He's done a phenomenal job especially considering he was dealt a particularly horrible hand.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 5

Every Vice President outside of Cheney was pushed to be background. Kamala at least was able to cast tie-breaking votes in the Senate. Biden did her no favors by pushing her aside and doing the "only I can fix it" shit that almost gave the entire government to Trump. Thankfully, Biden came to his senses instead of being a stubborn old man who felt only he could step up when the moment was called for. Kamala has shown she was built for this moment. The transformation is astounding. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I find it somewhat bewildering that you give the entirety of the credit for the Biden administration to Biden, and essentially characterize Harris as an empty suit who did Joe’s bidding for four years, and who had no significant individual impact or influence on the administration’s success. 

I see her as an incredibly influential teammate of Joe who played a great role in the accomplishments of the Biden administration.    I do not get how you credit the “Biden administration” and leave out Kamala’s influence and participation in that administration’s success - which you do by virtue of your suggestion that Harris could have an unsuccessful administration if she were elected….instead of Joe. 

if Harris wins, I think this country is going to go through some serious things. Some violent things. Things that require a young and healthy person to navigate the upcoming potential demise of MAGA, which will not go quietly or nonviolently. 

All respect to you, but when insiders right about this administration, they will say how great Joe is - and they will also perhaps comment on the behind-the-scenes story about Joe’s limitations, physically and mentally.  I think it will be shown that he was a very old man with the limitations of a very old man - and that the level of success that he achieved as a very old man as president will become the stuff of legend. While she was not a co-president, I think we will find that she played a greater role in the administration than has been publicly admitted - all for political reasons, of course.

I don’t think she’s an empty suit. But she was the VP and any VP that gets credit for a POTUS legacy is a rare exception to the general rule. 

I LOVE Kamala. I think she’s highly qualified. I’m all in for her campaign. I think she’s the right woman at the right time to take on Trump. I look forward to her administration. And none of that is contrary to my other posts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

I did go to bed before the speech, so can anyone point me to a video of Biden storming into the DNC to take back his nomination? 

Yeah, most of his speech was about how upset he was, with his presidency being stolen from him with the coup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Orale said:

Not saying you're wrong, but why do you believe Pelosi didn't want Kamala?

All of her public statements before and after he dropped out. I don't have time to catalogue them all, but this was just a few days ago: 

Pelosi, Obama, and their donor friends they helped organize their pressure campaign with didn't want Harris to be the candidate because they feared (much like a lot of us did as we were discussing the possibility) that she'd be a weaker candidate than Biden (and the donor friends thought she was too progressive). Carville sure as shit didn't want to run a progressive black woman with similar to worse (at the time) favorability numbers than Biden.

I'm as shocked as anyone at how quickly and effectively the party rallied behind Kamala and how quickly she's been able to both increase her popularity and effectively diminish Trump in the public eye. I shared their doubts. But one thing I did know before Biden stepped down is that a contested primary would've been an absolute fucking disaster, and it absolutely would've been, while that whole crew was trying to force Biden to step aside but their entire plan for after that was some underpants gnomes nonsense.  Biden and Harris saved us from that insanity and I think we'll likely look back at the 24 hours after Biden announced he wouldn't run as one of the most pivotal moments in American history.

• Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

She’ll soon be ready for the next step up and a bigger spot light. Needs to take a slight step to the center, see the bigger picture …

I think she already has compared to when she first burst onto the national scene, she's definitely learning how to govern. I think the far left wing of the party in general has learned to govern better. It doesn't hurt that they had a great partner in Uncle Joe. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

this is the east coast getting payback for all those 5 hour yankees-sox playoff games

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

Won't do what again? Won't drunk post??

honey boo boo thumbs down GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Harris and her team were not happy with Biden for putting her in charge of the S America border task force. There definitely were some hard feelings within the Administration over that. 

I think she shoudl have embraced it and run with it. 1- Gain support from Latinos here in the US. 2- Broaden international standings in the Hemisphere. 3- The solution is not AT the border, it is on both sides of the border.

• Like 3