[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

I think she shoudl have embraced it and run with it. 1- Gain support from Latinos here in the US. 2- Broaden international standings in the Hemisphere. 3- The solution is not AT the border, it is on both sides of the border.

true and it's a loser of an issue for dems no matter what they do. she had good reason to be upset.

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

Nancy was leaning hard on Joe, but she absolutely did not anticipate either the timing of the decision or the rapid consolidation of the rank-and-file around Kamala.  I think she was envisioning a freewheeling brawl on the floor of the United Center.

Turns out the following were the opinions of most Democrats:

• Willing but unimpressed to slog out a joyless campaign with Joe at the helm
  • The decision to withdraw is Joe's and Joe's alone
  • In the event he withdraws, VP Harris is the only way forward 

The speed at which the party rallied around Harris is stunning. The replacement process was all over in about 3 hours, and completed with an amount of energy that I haven't seen in the Democratic base since 2008. I didn't think that the Democratic Party was capable of such a thing. 

The "circular firing squad" is why I and others didn't want Biden to drop out. 

I have no doubt that part of Biden's agreement to drop out was that the party rally around Harris.

And the Democrats FINALLY did something the Republicans always do - THEY FELL IN LINE. 

People had to set their ambitions aside for this to work and as others have said - they "understood the assignment."

That's the biggest reason this transition has succeeded whether she wins in November or not. 

• Hook 'Em 8

37 minutes ago, F250 said:

This gets thrown around a lot in the CR but regarding college athletics, it is common for baseball prospects to academically qualify for many D1 programs. As a result baseball players coming into D1 usually have higher GPA's and SAT/ACT scores than their football and basketball counterparts.

Granted, those that are drafted right out of high school are pretty much limited to a high school education.

My personal observation of Texas Baseball players was that they were fairly serious students, particularly for athletes, and generally reasonably smart.  And, unlike football players, among others, didn't seem to receive a lot of special treatment.

This experience, however, did not include the "superstar" types or big draftees, who may or may not have been playing school at all.  There seem to have been no shortage of those kind of idiots.

But I think MLB is mostly populated with high school draftees who lack a lot education or perspective.  And the high percentage of foreign "minority" players probably doesn't help temper their viewpoints any or broaden their horizons.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Harris and her team were not happy with Biden for putting her in charge of the S America border task force. There definitely were some hard feelings within the Administration over that. 

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I think she shoudl have embraced it and run with it. 1- Gain support from Latinos here in the US. 2- Broaden international standings in the Hemisphere. 3- The solution is not AT the border, it is on both sides of the border.

Fortunately they have an out with Trump killing the border bill.

"We managed to stem the tide in spite of Trump killing the bill that would have made our jobs easier."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

He's a great traditional politician/campaigner, but I'm not sure how he'd fair in this election, even at a younger age. In 2020, Trump's idiocy and ineptitude was on full display daily for the world to see, not just at a rally in Bumfuckville, Arkansas. This election has been begging for someone to be a little unorthodox and go on the offensive, reminding people of how truly creepy and unhinged these GOP losers are.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

He's actually a really good campaigner. The problem is that he is too old to actually campaign.

Historically, he is not a good politician/campaigner which made his inner circle's assertion that he's some generational pol even dumber.  Sure, he got elected in a small, uncomplicated state but he ran for president multiple times and wasn't close to being in contention.  Even in 2020, he didn't even make the top 5 in Iowa and NH but then the black vote rolled in for him in S'Carolina because he was Obama's BFF.  Then covid happened and everyone dropped out.

His literal lone political achievement was winning SC in 2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

All of her public statements before and after he dropped out. I don't have time to catalogue them all, but this was just a few days ago: 

Pelosi, Obama, and their donor friends they helped organize their pressure campaign with didn't want Harris to be the candidate because they feared (much like a lot of us did as we were discussing the possibility) that she'd be a weaker candidate than Biden (and the donor friends thought she was too progressive). Carville sure as shit didn't want to run a progressive black woman with similar to worse (at the time) favorability numbers than Biden.

I'm as shocked as anyone at how quickly and effectively the party rallied behind Kamala and how quickly she's been able to both increase her popularity and effectively diminish Trump in the public eye. I shared their doubts. But one thing I did know before Biden stepped down is that a contested primary would've been an absolute fucking disaster, and it absolutely would've been, while that whole crew was trying to force Biden to step aside but their entire plan for after that was some underpants gnomes nonsense.  Biden and Harris saved us from that insanity and I think we'll likely look back at the 24 hours after Biden announced he wouldn't run as one of the most pivotal moments in American history.

Agree with everything above and from what I understand, Donna Brazille basically engineered all of this.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, troph said:

I think she’s the right woman at the right time to take on Trump. 

The fact that Trump keeps melting down about her becoming the nominee and his constantly public yearning for Biden speaks volumes about her being the best person to take him on.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I'm glad she's officially supporting Harris, but I will always harbor some animosity towards most Trump officials. If I'm being generous, I can get why some of them signed on in the beginning, when there was still lingering hope that Trump would listen to his advisors and stop acting crazy. But by Jan 6, he had shown his true colors over and over again.

remember that they had the votes to 25th amendment him but Pence refused to sign off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

and just to put a cap on the discussion here and add some perspective, yesterday Biden was the keynote, it's not off topic to talk about him, his legacy, what happened, and what could have been - both him losing and his admin having four more years. tonight it's the Obamas and I suspect the discussion of Biden will be zero. god help us if he wears a tan suit or forgets his flag pin though.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Fortunately they have an out with Trump killing the border bill.

"We managed to stem the tide in spite of Trump killing the bill that would have made our jobs easier."

and the reality is - the border will only become a bigger and bigger issue with climate change. I like the Dems approach and think Trump is a raging authoritarian, fascist, piece of shit, but the Dems need to flip the script and be tough on illegal immigration while having a humane and sustainable policy on asylum, dreamers, those already here, worker program, etc. AND own the public narrative on the issue. The Republicans are dead ass wrong on this and they are dead ass wrong on targeting repro rights, but if/when they win again, it will almost certainly be on the border. That issue simply isn't going away in our lifetime.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

and the reality is - the border will only become a bigger and bigger issue with climate change. I like the Dems approach and think Trump is a raging authoritarian, fascist, piece of shit, but the Dems need to flip the script and be tough on illegal immigration while having a humane and sustainable policy on asylum, dreamers, those already here, worker program, etc. AND own the public narrative on the issue. The Republicans are dead ass wrong on this and they are dead ass wrong on targeting repro rights, but if/when they win again, it will almost certainly be on the border. That issue simply isn't going away in our lifetime.

and it never will. 

40 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I understand the importance of Republican allies coming out and supporting Harris, but they should not be free from scrutiny. They actively worked against our best interests to put us in this situation we face. Ultimately, fuck ‘em. 

You don’t get to set a fire and join the firefighters in complaining about how dangerous the flames are. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Harris and her team were not happy with Biden for putting her in charge of the S America border task force. There definitely were some hard feelings within the Administration over that. 

S. America border task force? First I’ve heard of that term. Sounds kind of like “Border Czar,” which she never was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Just a sidenote:  As an Eastern Time person, God-F*cking-Forbid anyone on the West Coast be forced to turn on a live TV event before 7 PM.  The highlights of Biden's speech are great, but good lord, it's like the NCAA championships in starting way too fucking late. 

Sleepy Joe outlasted me last night, and I'm CST. To be fair, my sleeping habits do more closely align with someone twice my age.

Edited by hookem2010
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well actually, Biden did say political violence has no place in this country. The same thing he said after Trump was shot at and nearly assassinated. Of course, we're just assuming the kid shot Trump to make a name for himself. Strange that motive still hasn't been discussed. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well actually, Biden did say political violence has no place in this country. The same thing he said after Trump was shot at and nearly assassinated. Of course, we're just assuming the kid shot Trump to make a name for himself. Strange that motive still hasn't been discussed. 

Still waiting for Trump to express his gratitude to Joe for the phone call after someone tried to kill him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is there a youtube index somewhere of all the full speeches from last night?  I don't watch TV news and only follow the election thread here.  There I saw AOC, Crockett, Kerr, and Clinton's full speeches posted and watched them.

I know we have mixed feelings about Hillary, but she delivered a banger last night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Is there a youtube index somewhere of all the full speeches from last night?  I don't watch TV news and only follow the election thread here.  There I saw AOC, Crockett, Kerr, and Clinton's full speeches posted and watched them.

I know we have mixed feelings about Hillary, but she delivered a banger last night.

Give this a shot

https://www.youtube.com/@PBSNewsHour/videos?app=desktop

2 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

know we have mixed feelings about Hillary, but she delivered a banger last night.

While listening to her, I realized that her yelling speech voice grates on me. It’s shrill, and she doesn’t modulate it in speeches. Her speaking voice doesn’t have the same effect. Biden also yelled much of his speech. 

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

missed-it-by-that-much-missed.gif

If it is shrapnel that got his ear though, who knows how close the actual bullet was. Maybe the forensics folks have an idea. 

The shot was on target, but the teleprompter was in the way. That's why the next shot killed the guy right behind him because the screen was destroyed.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Kamala, don't care if she's a woman, is a relative neophyte from an executive and legislative standpoint.

Absent unusual circumstances, we either can have someone younger or someone with tons of executive and legislative experience.  We are sacrificing some of the latter for relative youth and energy.

Oh that's so rich for that guy to use the "they look like me" when he works for the network that pushes the biggest narrative that black people are lawless and violent repeatedly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

36 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Mayor Pete was on Fox News this morning from the DNC just killing it again.

Pete legitimately enjoys this.

Also, Oklahoma has as higher murder rate than California.  Say that and their heads explode.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Your Google digits wizardry trick inspired me to check some maths.

1 acre equals 43,560 square feet.
3 acres equals 130,680 square feet.
The perimeter of your lot should be about 1,444 feet.
For a 6-foot tall fence, you'd need about 8,664 square feet of fencing.
Dividing the fencing by the number of letters in your handle (10) gives us about 866.
Multiply your two sliding gates by their 100% padlocking gives us 200.
Subtract 200 from 866 and we arrive at our final number: 666.

Congrats, Stanco, you're a racist debil.

anchorman-science.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Constant said:

I understand the importance of Republican allies coming out and supporting Harris, but they should not be free from scrutiny. They actively worked against our best interests to put us in this situation we face. Ultimately, fuck ‘em. 

You don’t get to set a fire and join the firefighters in complaining about how dangerous the flames are. 

That's actually not how this works. When the blaze is contained and if breaks containment it engulfs everything you take any and all people who are helping. 

Some of you have forgotten that we are still in the middle of the fight. 

Now after the blaze is extinguished even though you helped contain it you still get held accountable for the damage done by the fire. That I agree with. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pete needs to stay on the front lines.  He is insanely quick on his feet.  Same with AOC, Walz, etc.  Dimwitted traditional MAGA stooges just cannot hang.

Not sure that it's so much that he's quick on his feet as much as he just doesnt let the narrative get away from him. He charges forward through their bullshit tangent trap that is so predictable and obvious, yet many fall into. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1