[Harris+Walz] The 2024 DNC: TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!

Bullneck

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Keeping the Jewish vote from defecting

American Jews have overwhelmingly support Dems without a Jewish VP on the ticket. Biden won it 68-30 and the margin is typically somewhere around 71-26 on average since 1968. 

I'm not concerned about Shapiro's views on Israel. My concern is Israel/Palestine becomes a way bigger issue in this election with him selected as VP. A powder keg situation thousands of miles away that is complete out of our control.  With Shapiro on the ticket, Trump is gonna weaponize the divide and try to cause maximum damage. And since Israel/Palestine is an issue with so much understandable emotion and anger attached to it, voters are not gonna be reasonable about how it sways their decision for POTUS. Is that fair to Shapiro? No. But it's also not fair that a woman or gay man have been casually brushed away as serious candidates. 

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Keeping the Jewish vote from defecting or staying home after after the next 2 months of DEMOCRATS SUPPORT HAMAS is a way bigger asset for Shapiro than a knock

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

American Jews have overwhelmingly support Dems without a Jewish VP on the ticket. Biden won it 68-30 and the margin is typically somewhere around 71-26 on average since 1968. 

This and the whole Jewish first spouse thing you'd think would be enough. 

Posted (edited)

Walz riding the Slingshot at the Minnesota State Fair with his daughter. How many 59 year olds would do this? He is truly a real dude who wants to embrace happiness without being a phony. 

IMG_6668.thumb.jpeg.cc2875e3f4bcdf54d4c7e8c3f3cfa29e.jpegIMG_6669.thumb.jpeg.9d9cb771f1d4d13d24e9363cab1f96b0.jpeg

Edited by MrBig
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes, and arguably they deserve representation and assurances the D party wont abandon them on their most important issue.

If I was on Trump's braintrust, and let's face it, I can't be too much further down the list. I would turn this election into full on Israel. Probably get a little assistance from some headlines over there keeping it fresh in people's minds

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm not concerned about Shapiro's views on Israel. My concern is Israel/Palestine becomes a way bigger issue in this election with him selected as VP. A powder keg situation thousands of miles away that is complete out of our control.  With Shapiro on the ticket, Trump is gonna weaponize the divide and try to cause maximum damage. And since Israel/Palestine is an issue with so much understandable emotion and anger attached to it, voters are not gonna be reasonable about how it sways their decision for POTUS. Is that fair to Shapiro? No. But it's also not fair that a woman or gay man have been casually brushed away as serious candidates. 

The problem is that so many Dems have made this their SINGLE issue, that they have given Trump all the power on it.

Shapiro picked - RAAAAAAGE

Shapiro not picked - three months of "DEMS = HAMAS" ads from Trump

Over an issue that, objectively, Shapiro and Walz are almost identical on.  The main thing working in Walz's favor is that nobody cared who the governor of Minnesota was until three weeks ago.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Yes, and arguably they deserve representation and assurances the D party wont abandon them on their most important issue.

Kamala being married to a Jewish man with Jewish stepchildren should alleviate those concerns. 

I know the Pod Save America guys said Obama had 3 speeches written. ABC affiliate in Detroit says there’s like 4 diff Harri/NAME signage versions 

8gdRgM.gif

I did think of one laughable negative for Walz and that's simply he was the governor of Minnesota when George Floyd's death happened. So right wing dingbats will want to pin BLM riots on him. It's right out of the playbook. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

I did think of one laughable negative for Walz and that's simply he was the governor of Minnesota when George Floyd's death happened. So right wing dingbats will want to pin BLM riots on him. It's right out of the playbook. 

Saw that too.  Most of that shit show was the Minneapolis mayor 

Just now, Js1 said:

Saw that too.  Most of that shit show was the Minneapolis mayor 

Sure but they'll be in the throw all the buzzwords against the wall faze. I hope Walz responds that he was the one who brought in the Antifa brick piles. 

• Haha 1

WASHINGTON, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris has narrowed her search for a vice presidential running mate to two finalists, Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro and Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, three sources with knowledge of the matter said on Monday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/kamala-harris-announce-vice-president-pick-before-battleground-states-tour-2024-08-05/

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I still think it's Beshear... He makes way to much sense... and talk of Shapiro / Walz just throwing things off. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I still think it's Beshear... He makes way to much sense... and talk of Shapiro / Walz just throwing things off. 

why do you people make multiple handles? that shit is so fucking bizarre to me. what is the point of socks (other than that time that slorch made one to rep himself)?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I know the Pod Save America guys said Obama had 3 speeches written. ABC affiliate in Detroit says there’s like 4 diff Harri/NAME signage versions 

These dudes want Shapiro, and Shapiro it shall be. They were wishcasting hard for Biden to step down when it was a just a pipe dream so I’m inclined to believe what they have to say despite my personal feelings on who I really want the VP Pick to be. 

“I still think it's Beshear... He makes way to much sense... and talk of Shapiro / Walz just throwing things off.”

Oh my god every user posting this quote had their account created on March 25, 2018 as if some Ice Station Zebra Associate told them to post it to Surly in a coordinated effort to influence Kamala Harris and steer this election in a different direction with her VP pick. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

YARN | This is chess, not checkers! | Training Day (2001 ...

imma, since you are going to come in from left field with crazy thread policing that makes no sense, can you also throw a banner notification up on this site to tell all the crazy bastards to stop trying to link gifs from yarn since it has a human captcha test in between and it will not show up here?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

imma, since you are going to come in from left field with crazy thread policing that makes no sense, can you also throw a banner notification up on this site to tell all the crazy bastards to stop trying to link gifs from yarn since it has a human captcha test in between and it will not show up here?

Good help is hard to find these days

All wrong

Every one of you

Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years
I'm rocking my peers, putting suckas in fear
Making the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the bass go boom
Explosions, overpowering
Over the competition, I'm towering
Wrecking shop when I drop
These lyrics that'll make you call the cops
Don't you dare stare, you better move
Don't ever compare
Me to the rest that'll all get sliced and diced
Competition's paying the price

Exclusive: Dan Quayle Weighs In On Donald Trump, Divided GOP | TODAY -  YouTube

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, sidis said:

I've asked a bunch of times why all of the sudden yarn has become a popular link/embed and no one has answered. I've also tried to reach out to them and it's impossible. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I've asked a bunch of times why all of the sudden yarn has become a popular link/embed and no one has answered. I've also tried to reach out to them and it's impossible. 

yeah, i don't blame you for it. i don't know why all of a sudden everyone links from there. i think it must be because its search algo on its site is pretty good. but with the captcha in between, it will never embed.

but i think it is weird too because it isn't a high google image search result compared to gifphy and stuff. i just assume that most people google search "umm gif" and then go to google images but i guess i am wrong about that.

anyway, not sure what any of this has to do with french literature but you'd think people would learn.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, immamac said:

googling "xxx gif" that isn't some top 20 trending thing like "jd vance couch" or "the wire shiiiiit" now only ever returns yarn links when it used to give tenor a few years ago and imgur even farther back so blame the enshittification of the internet

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Michael Knight said:

googling "xxx gif" now only ever returns yarn links when it used to give tenor a few years ago and imgur even farther back so blame the enshittification of the internet

Yeah, this.  The one I always want is yarn

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The problem is that so many Dems have made this their SINGLE issue, that they have given Trump all the power on it.

Shapiro picked - RAAAAAAGE

Shapiro not picked - three months of "DEMS = HAMAS" ads from Trump

Over an issue that, objectively, Shapiro and Walz are almost identical on.  The main thing working in Walz's favor is that nobody cared who the governor of Minnesota was until three weeks ago.

What percentage of Dems do you think have the war in the Middle East as their SINGLE biggest issue?

I think I've made my views on that topic pretty clear around here in a pretty strong way but wouldn't place it anywhere near the top of my concerns. Does it factor into the calculus? Sure, but like most Americans, it's pretty far down my list. According to Gallup, only 1% of Americans see it as the biggest problem right now. Back in the spring: March (2%), April (2%), and at its peak in May (3%).

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1675/most-important-problem.aspx

image.thumb.png.c3366e81ce2b9616332a084a34f84d41.png

Are there niche constituencies like the Muslims in Michigan or young radical progressives that could be turned off by Kamala selecting Shapiro? Absolutely. But I think both of those groups are vanishingly small and will come "home" at the end of the day. As much as we all like to talk about the Michigan Muslims, they still only account for 1% of the state's population (the same percentage of Jews), about the same as the US. In Wayne County, where there's the highest concentration, they still only comprise 4% of the population.

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/inside-michigan-understanding-partisanship-religious-affiliation-and-religious-diversity-across-the-state/

image.png

Let's look at 10 states where the margin was closest in 2020:

• Michigan (margin +2.78%):
    • Jews: 1%
    • Muslims: 1%
  • Nevada (+2.39%):
    •  Jews: 2%
    • Muslims: <1%
  • Pennsylvania (+1.16%):
  • Wisconsin (+0.63%):
  • Arizona (+0.31%)
    • Jews: 2%
  • Georgia (+0.24%):
  • North Carolina (-1.35%):
  • Florida (-3.36%):
    • Jews: 3%
  • Texas (-5.58%):
    • Muslims:1%

In every single close-ish state, the Jewish population exceeds or is at least as big as the Muslim one. And while Muslims have voted more Democratic than Jews over the last four elections, I would bet that they already vote at lower rates and could, therefore, be seen as a little less reliable constituency.

https://religioninpublic.blog/2021/03/31/the-2020-vote-for-president-by-religious-groups-other-faith/

image.png.75228fe231605d3a58faa6b5f55aeaf2.png

image.png.965f5dedd32f160a7501b20db8260895.png

NOW, let's look at college students. According to a Generation Lab poll at the height of the protests, only 8% of all college students participated on either side of the protests, and college students ranked the issue LAST on their list of concerns that is most important to them. Moreover, young voters are about the least reliable bloc that Democrats can count on.

image.thumb.png.e46b677dcc1440d213efb5584bafdc8d.png

I strongly suspect that a lot of the concerns about picking Shapiro related to his stance on the war are way overblown, and I do think that liberals/progressives/Palestinian supporters will be far more rational about their votes in the coming election than people are giving them credit for.

Edited by bolverk
cleaning up
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

What percentage of Dems do you think have the war in the Middle East as their SINGLE biggest issue?

I think I've made my views on that topic pretty clear around here in a pretty strong way but wouldn't place it anywhere near the top of my concerns. Does it factor into the calculus? Sure, but like most Americans, it's pretty far down my list. According to Gallup, only 1% of Americans see it as the biggest problem right now. Back in the spring: March (2%), April (2%), and at its peak in May (3%).

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1675/most-important-problem.aspx

image.thumb.png.c3366e81ce2b9616332a084a34f84d41.png

Are their niche constituencies like the Muslims in Michigan or young radical progressives that could be turned off by Kamala selecting Shapiro? Absolutely. But I think both of those groups are vanishingly small and will come "home" at the end of the day. As much as we all like to talk about the Michigan Muslims, they still only account for 1% of the state's population (the same percentage of Jews), about the same as the US. In Wayne County, where there's the highest concentration, they still only comprise 4% of the population.

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/inside-michigan-understanding-partisanship-religious-affiliation-and-religious-diversity-across-the-state/

Let's look at 10 states where the margin was closest in 2020:

• Michigan (margin +2.78%):
  • Nevada (+2.39%):
    •  Jews: 2%
  • Pennsylvania (+1.16%):
  • Wisconsin (+0.63%):
  • Arizona (+0.31%)
    • Jews: 2%
  • Georgia (+0.24%):
  • North Carolina (-1.35%):
  • Florida (-3.36%):
    • Jews: 3%
  • Texas (-5.58%):
    • Muslims:1%

In every single close-ish state, the Jewish population exceeds or is at least as big as the Muslim one. And while Muslims have voted more Democratic than Jews over the last four elections, I would bet that they already vote at lower rates and could, therefore, be seen as a little less reliable constituency.

https://religioninpublic.blog/2021/03/31/the-2020-vote-for-president-by-religious-groups-other-faith/

image.png.75228fe231605d3a58faa6b5f55aeaf2.png

image.png.965f5dedd32f160a7501b20db8260895.png

NOW, let's look at college students. According to a Generation Lab poll at the height of the protests, only 8% of all college students participated on either side of the protests, and college students ranked the issue LAST on their list of concerns that is most important to them. Moreover, young voters are about the least reliable bloc that Democrats can count on.

image.thumb.png.e46b677dcc1440d213efb5584bafdc8d.png

I strongly suspect that a lot of the concerns about picking Shapiro related to his stance on the war are way overblown, and I do think that liberals/progressives/Palestinian supporters will be far more rational about their votes in the coming election than people are giving them credit for.

image.png

Im not sure it's as much his views as it is the obvious attacks it will draw from the right, and the distraction of answering them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Im not sure it's as much his views as it is the obvious attacks it will draw from the right, and the distraction of answering them. 

My bigger concerns about Shapiro are those other issues that have been coming up lately that have fuck-all to do with Israel.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1