The 2024 Longhorn Football Prospectus: Thinking Texas Football - 12th Annual Edition 

zlavydra

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Most of you will be familiar with this annual publication authored by ScipioTex.  As a very casual football fan, I find it invaluable.

E-version: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1591653

Hard copy is available at Amazon.

How is the SEC Preview? Pretty thorough analysis of the other teams' strengths and weaknesses?

Scipio Tex just posted this on his 12th Edition:

Sorry, literally buried writing and publishing the preview. Fun to research but a chore to write. I ended up at 55,000+ words. It's robust.  

I had a ton of institutional knowledge of the Big 12 and I was already pretty good on the premier SEC programs but educating myself on Vandy, Miss St, Kentucky, South Carolina etc was enjoyable. 

I also got balls deep into Michigan, UTSA, Colorado St. The last two are fun if you want to understand what matchups to watch that might level up to better opponents and it's interesting to see how the portal is impacting G5s. Writing UL-Monroe was amusing. I actually feel bad for them. 

A big portion of it is devoted to the Texas roster and I'm pretty sure I have some nuggets for even the most plugged in fan. For example, after reading my Ewers breakdown, you'll leave it with a much better understanding of his strengths and weaknesses as a contextual QB. Play action vs. non play action. Blitzed vs not blitzed. Pressured efficiency. ADOT metrics. It's not all dry - I explain what it means and what level ups look like. 

Will Gallagher's photos are terrific. Best seen in color on the e-version (Smashwords, Apple), but they're pretty good in black and white on the hardcopy from Amazon. 

Some bonus content: recruiting, an essay on why only Two Conferences Matter (Power 4 is an illusion) etc.

If you have any questions, feel free.

@Scipio

If you're interested, you can buy it here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I look forward to this every year. It’s a great shoulder check during off season doldrums.  Educating and entertaining.

And we’re off to a good start, paraphrasing: “Let’s first revisit the Big 12. Apply sanitizer, put on plastic booties, and try not to step on anything regrettable.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes! Part of my annual “hurry up and get here football season” routine. Like to read the team and position breakdowns in August and then save the specific opponent chapters for the week of each game.

The season is one step closer now!

• Hook 'Em 1

Always I think the best preview out there. If you've never read it before I highly suggest it.  It's informative and funny.  Good big picture analysis of where the program is at and the overall landscape in conference and then lots of in depth stuff on Texas guys (which most here probably already know) but also informative deep dive on everyone else on our schedule and in our conference. Plenty of good one liners, zingers and very informative.  If you like the preview mags at all, or reading, it's the best out there of it's kind.  Highly recommend.  I'm not a fan because we work together- we work together because I was a fan of what he has done online for 25 years in the longhorn community, going back to hornfans.com and all along the way.  Hard to believe it's been that long.

Congrats on being done with this for another year @Scipio

• Hook 'Em 1

Always I think the best preview out there. If you've never read it before I highly suggest it.  It's informative and funny.  Good big picture analysis of where the program is at and the overall landscape in conference and then lots of in depth stuff on Texas guys (which most here probably already know) but also informative deep dive on everyone else on our schedule and in our conference. Plenty of good one liners, zingers and very informative.  If you like the preview mags at all, or reading, it's the best out there of it's kind.  Highly recommend.  I'm not a fan because we work together- we work together because I was a fan of what he has done online for 25 years in the longhorn community, going back to hornfans.com and all along the way.  Hard to believe it's been that long.

Congrats on being done with this for another year @Scipio

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

@Scipio   

Trying to remember the hardest hit by a Longhorn player in 2023?

Who are the biggest hitters for Texas in 2024?

Today is 39 DAYS 😋

bomar-money.gif

No Bryant Westbrook moments I can recalll last year, but Quintreveon had a couple of these

Edited by Scipio
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Amazon delivered my copy to my doorstep yesterday and I started digging in a bit last night. Love it!

Mine hit today, along with 4 275/60-20 Pirellis and a tube of Fluorouracil.

Imagine my disappointment, turning straight to P. 12 and seeing four QBs none of whom are named Trey Owens. 

Still... just the first thing. For all I know just yet, he'll show up.

Hook'em

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Imagine my disappointment, turning straight to P. 12 and seeing four QBs none of whom are named Trey Owens. 

Hook'em

Got a few words down that page, and I gotta tell you, I may not know if swallowing Copenhagen during a blitz is bad, but I do know from first hand experience that swallowing a cheekful of Red Man when you get hit smack dab in the stomach with a 80+ mph line drive from 60'6" away gives me a pretty strong suspicion about Copenhagen.

Hook'em

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Scipio said:

No Bryant Westbrook moments I can recalll last year, but Quintreveon had a couple of these

Yeah... AntHill might really pop some opponents this year too 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Hook'em

There's a good write up on Owens, but he's missing from one of the graphics. My outsourced Serbian graphics guy who formats my book for publication is a character. I've never met him and we're always talking at 3am Sarajevo time on chat. And we have conversations like this:

Zlatan, you put the Longhorns historical NFL draft graphic in the South Carolina write up. Move it back where I had it.

It look good there. Page is balanced.

No Zlatan, move it back. You can't randomly put graphics where ever you like them.

Book must be aesthetic. Or else is shit.

Zlatan, move it. 

I will do. What else?

You removed Trey Owens from the QB graphic. 

He is nothing to me. He is no Quinn, no Arch. Bah. He is nothing. Let him suffer.

Please put him back.

(grounds out cigarette) Zlatan will think about it.