Biden's legacy

LTbear

• LTbear changed the title to Biden's legacy

No one can fuck with Joe Biden. He went out on top. 

It would have been so unfair for him to have to burden this until the end. He should enjoy his life and watch his legacy unfold. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, LTbear said:

Every politician has an ego, and certainly no one is perfect.

But Biden has served this country the best he could for longer than many here have been alive.

He's overcome more than most can ever understand.

He served alongside the first black president, then ran for president with the first black vice president and first woman vice president. 

He's accomplished far more in his presidency than most of the country ever gives him credit for. Purely on his record, he's one of the better presidents of most of our lifetimes. 

He likely saved American democracy from the threat of fascism when he ran in 2020. And now, via making this decision, he may have just saved American democracy again. 

I hope the history books someday remember him as they should. An incredible legacy. 

I still consider Clinton the best President of my lifetime, but if Biden had been able to serve a second term with the same results as his first term I would have moved him to the top of my list.  As it stands, he's my #2.

• Hook 'Em 1

He likely wins in 2016 as well (a grave miscalculation by the party and Obama wing), and who knows what that alternate timeline looks like, and I think the memory of that underscores his steadfast belief that he remained the best option on the table.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Where does he rank?  Let's see . . .

image.png.d3fc904a54b5c1c42a3db83e4f7a5bf1.png

Also, while I wholly endorse these as the top 10, someone else with a very reasonable and rational view of the presidencies could rank LBJ nowhere near the top 10 based on weights of different policies involved in their presidency. 

Steadied the ship after Trump deliberately tried sinking it. He’s an American hero for defeating the treasonous piece of shit. Dedicated his entire life to this country. Hopefully he can find some peace for his final years. 

• Like 2

historically barely top 10, no worse than top 15. Reagan and Obama (I love Obama) are too high which may be a function of no one else to put up there but LBJ is above both of them, so yeah, still too high.

I am still a bit miffed how it all went down, maybe he did it to himself though. but in any event, everrybody be like JOE SIT DOWN, DROP OUT, YOU HAVE TO OR WE WILL...

...Oh man, Joe's the greatest, what a patriot, your legacy, whoo hooo! bad ass through and through. 

not surly mind you, party leadership. it's not that it's untrue it's that nobody like Joe likes to be told what to do to then do the right thing and get a pat on the head by those same people. maybe that's a personality flaw of mine but it grates.

8 minutes ago, troph said:

historically barely top 10, no worse than top 15. Reagan and Obama (I love Obama) are too high which may be a function of no one else to put up there but LBJ is above both of them, so yeah, still too high.

I am still a bit miffed how it all went down, maybe he did it to himself though. but in any event, everrybody be like JOE SIT DOWN, DROP OUT, YOU HAVE TO OR WE WILL...

...Oh man, Joe's the greatest, what a patriot, your legacy, whoo hooo! bad ass through and through. 

not surly mind you, party leadership. it's not that it's untrue it's that nobody like Joe likes to be told what to do to then do the right thing and get a pat on the head by those same people. maybe that's a personality flaw of mine but it grates.

Joe did the right thing. How much he was considering it all along and what's been going through his head, we can never know, because his campaign absolutely could not show the tiniest bit of willingness to drop out until the deed was 100% done or else it would have destroyed the campaign. 

So, he did the right thing. That's worth celebrating, and worth our appreciation and respect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, naija said:

He likely wins in 2016 as well (a grave miscalculation by the party and Obama wing), and who knows what that alternate timeline looks like, and I think the memory of that underscores his steadfast belief that he remained the best option on the table.

You fell for that narrative?

27 minutes ago, troph said:

I am still a bit miffed how it all went down, maybe he did it to himself though.

I read yesterday that, on top of all the public calls for him to step aside, two of his top aides came to Delaware on Saturday afternoon and they went over the polls with him.  The polls consistently showed no path to victory, and that was the tipping point for his decision.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I appreciate his many wins on domestic policy and getting us out of Afghanistan. That said, Biden's propagation of the "beheaded babies" lie, and doubling down by claiming he saw those non-existent images, is inexcusable because it helped manufacture consent for the slaughter of tens of thousands of children. That would stain anybody's legacy.

Mixed bag, for me. Obviously better than Reagan, Trump, and the Bushes. I'd put him on par with Obama and Clinton, but he would have been clearly better if the Gaza genocide hadn't happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I read yesterday that, on top of all the public calls for him to step aside, two of his top aides came to Delaware on Saturday afternoon and they went over the polls with him.  The polls consistently showed no path to victory, and that was the tipping point for his decision.  

Steve Richetti and Mike Donilon. I had heard earlier speculation that some of his top aides might have been shielding him from bad polling data. I don’t know if that was true. I heard it reported that when Nancy Pelosi talked to Biden, he told her that there was polling that showed he could win. Nancy told him to get Donilon on the phone, show her the polls.

On Morning Joe today they said the polling that Richetti and Donilon brought to Joe over the weekend showed him not only losing in battleground states but also losing ground in safe blue states like Virginia, New Mexico, and Nevada. And also donations were drying up. (We’d already heard that big money donors were halting their donations to try to force a change.) All of that together factored into the final decision and I’m sure being laid up with Covid at his age didn’t help.

• Hook 'Em 1

To be devil's advocate, if he runs in 2016, maybe trump never launches.  If he announces he won't run in late 2023 and allows a proper D primary, the chance of Trump winning has to be lower.

if Kamala squeaks it out, the story of his dropout might raise his ranking as well as i bet the story ends up told as he stood in this long enough to absorb all the body blows from trump and they didn't have anything time/focus to knock kamala out. so his legacy might be ending trump threat even more extensively than we think of it now.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, WBT said:

To be devil's advocate, if he runs in 2016, maybe trump never launches.  If he announces he won't run in late 2023 and allows a proper D primary, the chance of Trump winning has to be lower.

You can't blame him or the Dems for the Republican Party selecting Trump three election cycles in a row.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Steadied the ship after Trump deliberately tried sinking it. He’s an American hero for defeating the treasonous piece of shit. Dedicated his entire life to this country. Hopefully he can find some peace for his final years. 

Fuck Donald Trump! Classless piece of Sh*t. He cannot help himself from being the bully. He doesn’t care for anyone unless he can profit off of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Biden intended to retire, but for dumbfucks voting for Trump over Hilary. He came back to save us from Trump and his disastrous reign. Now we are flirting with the disaster again….

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

if Kamala squeaks it out, the story of his dropout might raise his ranking as well as i bet the story ends up told as he stood in this long enough to absorb all the body blows from trump and they didn't have anything time/focus to knock kamala out. so his legacy might be ending trump threat even more extensively than we think of it now.

if we can withstand the Russian onslaught of Ukraine and we can avoid a mass humanitarian extinction event he will get massive credit for NATO expansion and solidarity against Russia and for the first consequential climate bill in the US. those two alone can change the course of human history.

then add that he helped a black man win two terms as president and paved the way for the (hopefully) first black woman to become president. Straight, cisgender white men who open the doors for minorities are my heros (I have 1-2 of them in my life), they truly change the course of history for at least one and sometimes many more and in Biden's case the course of history for an entire nation.

Big fucking deal.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You can't blame him or the Dems for the Republican Party selecting Trump three election cycles in a row.

This.  Motherfucking this.

I get so tired of people acting like what the Rs have done is just an assumed part of the game.  They are the ones who sent us down this path of batshit insanity.  The Dems have to simultaneously be the fucking adults in this country and also have zero fuck ups, while the Rs just fling poo around and laugh and pretend it's all just a big game.  I never wanted to be this aware or involved in politics, but 2016 made me sit up and take notice.  The very fact that republicans at any level, from actual government to the general citizenry, still have a seat at the table of anything serious is a travesty.  These fucksticks should be shunned and ignored in society for what they have done.  If I were in charge, they would all be stripped of voting rights for a decade minimum while they go in the corner and think about what they've done.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Didn't they say he was self-isolating? It read to me like he finally had time to reflect without multiple voices in his ear.  Not his staff, not his aides, not his family - he just finally had time to let it all sink in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Didn't they say he was self-isolating? It read to me like he finally had time to reflect without multiple voices in his ear.  Not his staff, not his aides, not his family - he just finally had time to let it all sink in. 

Yes.  They went to Delaware where he was self-isolating and kept their distance since he still was testing positive for COVID (per the article I read).  I'll see if I can find a link.

Biden also met with Donilon and Ricchetti on Saturday. They went through “literally everything” — including bleak polling in battleground states — about his possible path forward, according to sources, but the two trusted aides did not make any recommendation about what he should do. Their sense was that Biden had already made up his mind to withdraw and that that discussion cemented it. Still, they all decided to sleep on it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/bidens-historic-decision-drop-2024-race-rcna162930

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I never wanted to be this aware or involved in politics

So much this. I never really even cared D or R in office until DJT.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

if we can withstand the Russian onslaught of Ukraine and we can avoid a mass humanitarian extinction event he will get massive credit for NATO expansion and solidarity against Russia and for the first consequential climate bill in the US. those two alone can change the course of human history.

then add that he helped a black man win two terms as president and paved the way for the (hopefully) first black woman to become president. Straight, cisgender white men who open the doors for minorities are my heros (I have 1-2 of them in my life), they truly change the course of history for at least one and sometimes many more and in Biden's case the course of history for an entire nation.

Big fucking deal.

Joe also convinced Obama to change his position and support the legalization of same sex marriage. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1