is clipping still a thing?

SOBMarcos

9 minutes ago, SOBMarcos said:

Haven’t seen it called in years. Maybe its been coached out of the players like carrying the ball for NBA players?

You can’t even hit a guy in the front if he isn’t looking - blindside block

now guys are smart enough to put their hands up and just “screen” from behind to avoid a block in the back

so no, clipping isn’t really a thing anymore because the sport has gotten hyper sensitive on certain fouls including this one…

• Like 2

The "old" clipping plays where a player got hit from the back and below the knees. Very dangerous technique.  I know it was used to intentionally injure a player and get him out of the game.

• Like 1

Have noticed dearth of clips for several years. Figgered it was subsumed under "illegal block in the back", as the relatively few actions seen that qualified - to me - as "clipping" did in fact get called "illegal... back".

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The "old" clipping plays where a player got hit from the back and below the knees. Very dangerous technique.  I know it was used to intentionally injure a player and get him out of the game.

Ric Flair has a nice clip move.  That's what he's the dirtiest player in the game.

13 hours ago, SOBMarcos said:

Haven’t seen it called in years. Maybe its been coached out of the players like carrying the ball for NBA players?

they just consolidated clipping with illegal block in the back and started calling it that.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, SOBMarcos said:

It wasn’t really called in the Big 12, along with holding, facemask, pass interference, delay of game, offsides, illegal substitution, too many men on the field, ineligible receiver down field, illegal motion, and a handful of other penalties.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

It wasn’t really called in the Big 12, along with holding, facemask, pass interference, delay of game, offsides, illegal substitution, too many men on the field, ineligible receiver down field, illegal motion, and a handful of other penalties.

It was called in the Big 12, at least the illegal block in the back version, along with the rest of the fouls you noted.

They were just called very selectively, some might just say, with specific bias.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

... They were just called very selectively, some might just say, with specific bias.

Just tryin' ta keep the games interesting, you know, no channel flipping, keep those eyeballs on the ads games?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You seem like the type of man who has jackhammer feet. 

It infuriated me whenever Lapham would highlight a run of Vince's and talk about his "jackhammer feet." 

Vince was a slasher/long strider. Pretty much the opposite of "jackhammer feet."

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It infuriated me whenever Lapham would highlight a run of Vince's and talk about his "jackhammer feet." 

Vince was a slasher/long strider. Pretty much the opposite of "jackhammer feet."

Barry Sanders "Bulldozing" down the field.

Earl Campbell "dancing around defenders"

Deon Sanders "quietly working the backfield"

Certain terms stick for some announcers no matter how woefully terrible they are for the player/play/action on the field.

I made up the ones above, but I hear shit like that all the time.

Reminds me, who was the defensive player who got called for holding when he was being held? Poona or was it longer ago?

3 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

FUCK TEXAS ON THREE

READY SET GO 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm hoping with the move to the SEC holding will be a thing again. 

It's a thing, there's also no "comeback mode" for teams down two touchdowns to force the game into an exciting last second play to win or lose. 

Also there is no longer official reviews every other play, or huddles to decide the call that take 1-2 mins.. There's not going to be anymore players thrown out of the game for blowing up a bubble screen either.

Basically we are going to be watching football from now on instead of refball. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Reminds me, who was the defensive player who got called for holding when he was being held? Poona or was it longer ago?

Yes. It was Poona Ford in that infamous 2015 Oklahoma State game.

Nine years and a meaningless loss by a bad team and we are still pissed off about it. That is how much bullshit it was.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes. It was Poona Ford in that infamous 2015 Oklahoma State game.

Nine years and a meaningless loss by a bad team and we are still pissed off about it. That is how much bullshit it was.

It’s the only time I’ve ever seen an official actively bump into a coach and throw a flag on the coach. The fix was in and it was complete fucking bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I know that shit first hand. Didn’t work, and mud-holed that guy next play. For a 7th grader, it was blissful vengeance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

It’s the only time I’ve ever seen an official actively bump into a coach and throw a flag on the coach. The fix was in and it was complete fucking bullshit.

Of all the egregious ass horrible calls, that one was the most fundamentally obscene. There were a ton of WTF, no justification calls, but that one was truly unreal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I know it was a Texas thing and not a black and white thing, but during that game, the movie Remember the Titans came to mind on all those penalties. I was watching it at my lease with 2 arkie fans. They were actually getting upset and they are both over 50 so they haaaaate Texas.

Posted (edited)

I had a friend who was born and raised in Stillwater, total Cowpoke family, text me joking about Boone bribing the refs after the game. When a diehard opposing fan openly admits a clear bias... well..  

Edited by BurntEyes

On 7/23/2024 at 2:27 PM, Zeus said:

It's a thing, there's also no "comeback mode" for teams down two touchdowns to force the game into an exciting last second play to win or lose. 

Also there is no longer official reviews every other play, or huddles to decide the call that take 1-2 mins.. There's not going to be anymore players thrown out of the game for blowing up a bubble screen either.

Basically we are going to be watching football from now on instead of refball. 

You don't watch much SEC football, do you?

One thing they don't call is late hits.  More players get hurt in the SEC.

On 7/23/2024 at 6:17 PM, DaggerHorns said:

You wonder if it was because they hated Texas, hated Strong or were getting a cut of the gambling.

Or all 3?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bullet said:

You don't watch much SEC football, do you?

One thing they don't call is late hits.  More players get hurt in the SEC.

You misread my post. Rig12 is pussy dumbfuck refball, SEC is actual football called somewhat fairly and allows the guys to play. 

I went to Texas and I’ve been to about the same number of Florida games as Texas games in my lifetime.. so yeah I’ve watched a little SEC ball

37 minutes ago, Zeus said:

You misread my post. Rig12 is pussy dumbfuck refball, SEC is actual football called somewhat fairly and allows the guys to play. 

Night and day difference in our games vs. Alabama the past two seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to Texas and I’ve been to about the same number of Florida games as Texas games in my lifetime.. so yeah I’ve watched a little SEC ball

Refs are gonna prop up front runners in the sec too.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Night and day difference in our games vs. Alabama the past two seasons. 

Huge play

Obviously a safety either down or flag for intentional grounding

”the foul was described incorrectly”

what the fuck lol

huge moment in the game ruined by rig 12 officials

they also took 15 mins to figure out how to spin this fuckup

image.thumb.png.f3f472dabc4f4b77e62bff2f4d076a0e.png

wont miss watching these dipshits stare at a tablet 4 or 5 times a game. Especially the last few drives of the 4th quarter, they love to stop play and watch replays.