Has anyone been to Rutgers?

Sbbruin

My boy and I have always done one Bruin roadie (except for the last 2 years), and with him being in Boston at Northeastern, was thinking we could start it back up now that we’re in the B1G.  Rutgers is the closest to Boston that we play.  PennSt is supposed to be a nightmare travel wise.  So thinking of staying in NYC and training it to Rutgers.  But also debating Philly.  Anyone ever go and have suggestions?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Just fuckin do it. I bet it will be awesome. Father/son stuff like that is priceless.

I would do Rutgers over Penn St. 

Feel like you'd get a much better $ and time value doing Rutgers.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 8

My UDUB friends and I are arguing about where to do our annual roadie.  

The choices are Oregon (no, because we've already been), Penn State (fuck no), Indiana (hell no), Rutgers (both of them have vetoed this one), and Iowa (my "top" choice).  

I hate this sooooooooooooo much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Seeing those options written out by two fans of west coast schools really hammers home how shitty the travel in their new conference is going to be. If you live in Seattle or LA, why the fuck would you want to make a road trip to fucking New Jersey or Indiana? Feel kinda bad for the fanbases.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

My boy and I have always done one Bruin roadie (except for the last 2 years), and with him being in Boston at Northeastern, was thinking we could start it back up now that we’re in the B1G.  Rutgers is the closest to Boston that we play.  PennSt is supposed to be a nightmare travel wise.  So thinking of staying in NYC and training it to Rutgers.  But also debating Philly.  Anyone ever go and have suggestions?

There is no way in hell I would travel across the country to go to a Rutgers game. Penn state for sure at least once. Why is this even a question.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I'd do Rutgers, especially if you take a couple of days before and/or after to visit Manhattan - esp. if you/he have never been.  Great place to visit, esp. in Oct.

My oldest daughter did a college visit to Rutgers (she ended up going to UT).  We stayed in Newark - trained to Manhattan and drove to Piscataway.  I recall the trains running to Piscataway, but they were quite a bit less effective than the trains going to/from Newark.  BUT - recall I drove to from Newark to Piscataway, so I might not have misremembered.  

If you are into jazz, Steve Smith (former Journey drummer) plays in the city a LOT and puts on a great show.  He's playing on Oct 18 at Birdland.  The "random" music scene there is fantastic.  The normal tourist traps are also definitely worth it.

EDIT: of course - I wrote all of that before I realized that you are traveling from SoCal.  5+ hour direct flight...  And my recommendation was Rutgers for the ancillary entertainment - NOT the football :)

Edited by boilerhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Why is this even a question.

I mean he literally fucking outlined that in the post. His kid doesn't live in the fucking press box in State College.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

I'd do Rutgers, especially if you take a couple of days before and/or after to visit Manhattan - esp. if you/he have never been.  Great place to visit, esp. in Oct.

My oldest daughter did a college visit to Rutgers (she ended up going to UT).  We stayed in Newark - trained to Manhattan and drove to Piscataway.  I recall the trains running to Piscataway, but they were quite a bit less effective than the trains going to/from Newark.  BUT - recall I drove to from Newark to Piscataway, so I might not have misremembered.  

If you are into jazz, Steve Smith (former Journey drummer) plays in the city a LOT and puts on a great show.  He's playing on Oct 18 at Birdland.  The "random" music scene there is fantastic.  The normal tourist traps are also definitely worth it.

EDIT: of course - I wrote all of that before I realized that you are traveling from SoCal.  5+ hour direct flight...  And my recommendation was Rutgers for the ancillary entertainment - NOT the football :)
EDIT2: and dumbass me stopped reading before the OTHER important detail: Boston for kid :)

EDIT3: and bigger dumbass me hit reply to my own post - rather than edit.  Time for me to step away from the keyboard.

Edited by boilerhorn

I mean he literally fucking outlined that in the post. His kid doesn't live in the fucking press box in State College.

No shit. But Boston from state college and Boston to Rutgers is a drive. Without looking even if Penn state was double travel time I would do that over Rutgers for the awesomeness of college football. Rutgers doesn’t care about football.

Went for the Texas/Rutgers game in 1999.  They were really shitty back then and their fans were welcoming to us.  But they hated them some Chris Simms, who was from the Piscataway area and "snubbed" them to come to Texas.  Yeah, the #1 recruit in the country was going to turn down Tennessee or Texas go to shit-ass Rutgers.  

So we get up a few scores late, Mack puts Simms in and the crowd goes fucking nuts.  Like they'd been waiting all day just to rain down boos on him.  They either got a good hit or maybe even a sack on him and you'd have thought they won the fucking championship.

Overall, a good trip, we stayed in NYC Fri-Sun.  Wished we had made it a longer trip to enjoy the city but it was a good time.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

No shit. But Boston from state college and Boston to Rutgers is a drive. Without looking even if Penn state was double travel time I would do that over Rutgers for the awesomeness of college football. Rutgers doesn’t care about football.

Bro what the fuck are you talking about. 

You wanna go hang out with a bunch of Pedo St fans?

I bet College Station also displays the "awesomeness of college football"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Went for the Texas/Rutgers game in 1999.  They were really shitty back then and their fans were welcoming to us.  But they hated them some Chris Simms, who was from the Piscataway area and "snubbed" them to come to Texas.  Yeah, the #1 recruit in the country was going to turn down Tennessee or Texas go to shit-ass Rutgers.  

So we get up a few scores late, Mack puts Simms in and the crowd goes fucking nuts.  Like they'd been waiting all day just to rain down boos on him.  They either got a good hit or maybe even a sack on him and you'd have thought they won the fucking championship.

Overall, a good trip, we stayed in NYC Fri-Sun.  Wished we had made it a longer trip to enjoy the city but it was a good time.

went to that game.   stayed in NYC and took the train.  decent trip, caught NYY-Bos baseball and should have done some US Open tennis but the spouse limited my sports somewhat...

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Seeing those options written out by two fans of west coast schools really hammers home how shitty the travel in their new conference is going to be. If you live in Seattle or LA, why the fuck would you want to make a road trip to fucking New Jersey or Indiana? Feel kinda bad for the fanbases.

We’ll do others over the years.  This season it just makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

There is no way in hell I would travel across the country to go to a Rutgers game. Penn state for sure at least once. Why is this even a question.

Based on circumstances, it makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Fuck Penn State.  I'd rather go to Kyle Field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

My wife lived less than 10 minutes from the campus for a year while working a biotech job. That area seems exactly like what you would imagine some shit suburb town in New Jersey would be. You can find good pizza/italian. 30 mins from NYC if that’s your thing. At least the football tickets should be cheap. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

My wife lived less than 10 minutes from the campus for a year while working a biotech job. That area seems exactly like what you would imagine some shit suburb town in New Jersey would be. You can find good pizza/italian. 30 mins from NYC if that’s your thing. At least the football tickets should be cheap. 

Those of us encouraging the trip are not waxing poetic about the cosmopolitan nature of Piscataway.  Get in; get out.  We are saying, "Go there for the game.  Stay in NYC.  Visit all of NYC.  The UCLA/Rutgers game is a great excuse to see your son and catch a UCLA football game."

The train trips between Boston and NYC are not that bad - for SBBriun's son.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The choices are Oregon (no, because we've already been), Penn State (fuck no), Indiana (hell no), Rutgers (both of them have vetoed this one), and Iowa (my "top" choice).  

Hey I’m a fellow UW grad! Iowa would be my choice too. My experience was friendly folk who are passionate and know the game and IC is fun for a weekend. Got invited to plenty of tailgates as a visiting fan and had a night at the Pedestrian Mall I vaguely remember 

• Hook 'Em 3

I looked at enrolling at Rutgers back in high school because of their great academics and they had my degree plan. New Brunswick and Piscataway(where the football stadium is) are nice and the campus is beautiful. Rutgers fans are really friendly, especially after a loss because they know their football program sucks. Also, most alumni and students don't give a shit either. Have fun @Sbbruin

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, cochamps said:

went to that game.   stayed in NYC and took the train.  decent trip, caught NYY-Bos baseball and should have done some US Open tennis but the spouse limited my sports somewhat...

We did the same. We were at the game (Friday night I believe) where Pedro Martinez struck out 18 or 19 Yankees. The home crowd was not happy.

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I hate to say this as an ISU fan, but go to Iowa.  It's a fun game day atmosphere and I don't think they're total assholes to non rival fanbases.  Might be decent flights into Cedar Rapids or the Quad Cities from Seattle.  Chicago's like 4 hours away too.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Bro what the fuck are you talking about. 

You wanna go hang out with a bunch of Pedo St fans?

I bet College Station also displays the "awesomeness of college football"

I am not going to break bread with these people, but I would damn sure like to experience a white out game there. 

On 7/22/2024 at 9:51 PM, Sbbruin said:

Happy Valley is a fuckin nightmare to get to.   New Brunswick is actually pretty nice for Jersey, got a friend of the family who does crew there.    Best bet is Newark and head south.   My daughter's bestie goes to Northeastern too and if you don't want to jet back and forth you could stay in midtown and take the train up to Boston.

• Hook 'Em 2

Also went to Texas/Rutgers in 1999.  Overall a fun trip. Stayed in NYC and went to a Yankees game Friday night.  Generally a good crowd, except holy shit, did I fear for my life when one of the drunk assholes in our group started to talk shit to a couple of guys that looked like they were cast straight from The Sopranos. 

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Really smart of him to let them know that UCLA is in LA.  Clears up so much potential confusion.

Lucky they didn't join the SEC. I could foresee a lot of confusion among the cajuns.

That was pretty rough and “off script.” His AD was slouching lower and lower in his seat, if in attendance, during the first half minute. Probably wanted to excuse himself during the Q/A portion to hide!

Hook’em!!!

On 7/22/2024 at 9:51 PM, Sbbruin said:

Penn state is a nightmare to get to driving from Boston? It’s a hike but coming from the east it’s literally just 2 highways from the NY/NJ border. I 80 west to 99 south and that drops you off directly at the stadium. 

On 7/22/2024 at 9:26 PM, Beau Vine said:

Having spent a decent to substantial amount of time in all those cities/states save Eugene, Bloomington would be my first choice if Oregon was off the table. 

Looking at the UCLA away schedule, which ain't great, my choices would be:

1) Hawaii (I don't think an explanation is required)

2) Baton Rouge (food, music, rowdy)

3) Rutgers (good variety of things to tag onto football nearby)

4) Nope