Koe Wetzel

ztejas

I'm starting a thread. I think he's legit. Let's start with this one off of his latest album:

I'm not a big modern country guy but this dude does it for me. East Texas product - Texas born and bred - incorporates a lot of rock, punk, hip-hop into his stuff.

Anyone that's not familiar maybe start with this one:

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That guy might be able to sing, but the tuning of his vocals makes it impossible to tell.

I couldn't care less whether he can sing or not. 

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I couldn't care less whether he can sing or not. 

I've heard his shows are great.  Just feels like the vocals on those clips aren't letting him shine.  Is he playing Austin soon?  He's from Tyler or some such, right?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've heard his shows are great.  Just feels like the vocals on those clips aren't letting him shine.  Is he playing Austin soon?  He's from Tyler or some such, right?

For me his shine is that he's splitting a lot of genres down the middle and putting good lyrics and good composition on top of that. 

I don't know how good his singing or playing is - it might be shit. I just consistently like a lot of the stuff he puts out and have for a few years now. 

He's from Pittsburg.

Edited by ztejas

He really came off like a douche at first, and I found his early stuff to sound weirdly like Nickleback with a Southern accent.  I did not get the hype AT ALL.  There have been some really good songs from him in the last 5 years.  The aforementioned "Ragweed" is the one that made me give him a second chance/another look.  I'm not a huge fan, but he's improved as a songwriter and there are some great hooks scattered throughout.  He's leaned more into an obvious 90's pop punk influence as well.

If my wife left me tomorrow, I'd probably put going to one of his shows at the top of my social "to do" list for reasons that have fuck all to do with music, but at this point I think I'd enjoy enough of the songs.

Just clicked on that top video. Regardless of what you think about KW's singing, that Jessie Murph is completely awful. I had to turn it off when she started in. Then I thought "there must have been something she did that was good enough to get her a contract." Youtubed her and ended up on "Cowboys and Angels." Even worse than the crap above. Wow. Man, she is like taking your ugly friend to the bar with you so you don't look bad by comparison.

Record Label: Koe, you always acting a fool. Find some woman and do a heartfelt duet. But don't get upstaged. You kinda suck at singing. 

Koe: Gotcha fam. Get Jessie Murph on the phone if she ain't tryna catch somebody outside. 

Just got through spinning the new one in its entirety.  Kind of same as before.  2 or 3 really good ones and the rest meh.  But by now with 4 or 5 albums he’s got maybe a 10 or so really good ones.  I’ll take that.

And I agree with those above, Ragweed is my favorite.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Zwylde said:

Just got through spinning the new one in its entirety.  Kind of same as before.  2 or 3 really good ones and the rest meh.  But by now with 4 or 5 albums he’s got maybe a 10 or so really good ones.  I’ll take that.

And I agree with those above, Ragweed is my favorite.

Yup.  I think this is about spot on.  You could make a legitimately great album by grabbing his best songs, but after that it gets thin.