Yellowstone geyser has had it up to here with tourists

Hawndoh

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There is reported footage from about 30 minutes before of a buncha tourists tossing their leftover Taco Bell into the hole...

This sure sounds like a confession. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seriously.  The Bison are standing 1000 yards away yelling at the geyser "hey, fucker....leave some tourists for us to trample and gore!"

also looks like me at 4:00 this morning. Who's idea was deviled eggs and beer anyway? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Hopefully that’s not the caldera/supervolcano cracking its knuckles getting ready to go to work.  

Or hopefully it is. We've basically failed as a species. Maybe the next one will do better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Hopefully that’s not the caldera/supervolcano cracking its knuckles getting ready to go to work.  

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

It would fit the 2024 theme perfectly though.

We need the "prepare your anus" emoji back.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 3

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There is reported footage from about 30 minutes before of a buncha tourists tossing their leftover Taco Bell into the hole...

Every year I root for a higher Yellowstone tourist death count. Seems like the worst tourists on Earth just flock there nonstop.

14 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Every year I root for a higher Yellowstone tourist death count. Seems like the worst tourists on Earth just flock there nonstop.

You could have just said "Americans"

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, miguelito said:

The Japanese tourists in national parks are the worst. 

Or maybe I'm just used to Americans. 

Agreed.  Big cameras and sharp elbows.  Chinese tourists are right there with them; they haven't been on the scene for as long. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, miguelito said:

The Japanese tourists in national parks are the worst. 

Or maybe I'm just used to Americans. 

Just now, Samson's Wig said:

Agreed.  Big cameras and sharp elbows.  Chinese tourists are right there with them; they haven't been on the scene for as long. 

The 11,000 tour buses full of Chinese tourists on the Yosemite valley floor is a jarring sight/experience.  It's legit amazing.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The 11,000 tour buses full of Chinese tourists on the Yosemite valley floor is a jarring sight/experience.  It's legit amazing.

I wonder how much longer that will go on.  The shell scheme they used to generate a middle class has to collapse eventually.  However, I keep thinking the same thing about the tech industry, and it never happens.  Ever onward, make-believe-bullshit economics! 

14 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Chinese tourists have been a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mainstay for a minute now.

Joke around here goes thusly: How can you tell if a tourist is Japanese or Chinese? The Japanese tourists are polite.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Chinese tourists have been a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mainstay for a minute now.

Joke around here goes thusly: How can you tell if a tourist is Japanese or Chinese? The Japanese tourists are polite.

No doubt Chinese tourists have been around a while now, just not as long as others.  It's an interesting culture for Americans to get used to, as many things we deem rude here are not there.  I have a master's from Peking University and have spent significant time in China.   I think most of what we see as rude behavior stems directly from privation resulting from the revolution and communist aftermath.  E.g., If waiting your turn means you and your family don't eat, lines cease to be relevant.  There is also the element of new money involved, which tends to make folks unbearable no matter where they're from.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

No doubt Chinese tourists have been around a while now, just not as long as others.  It's an interesting culture for Americans to get used to, as many things we deem rude here are not there.  I have a master's from Peking University and have spent significant time in China.   I think most of what we see as rude behavior stems directly from privation resulting from the revolution and communist aftermath.  E.g., If waiting your turn means you and your family don't eat, lines cease to be relevant.  There is also the element of new money involved, which tends to make folks unbearable no matter where they're from.

Good hypothesis.  The "new money" and "conspicuous consumption" thing is definitely something I've observed from some large Chinese tourist groups (literally watched some of them grabbing tens of thousands of dollars in furs off the racks in a First Nations store in Montreal (the First Nations crew can gather ALL the furs), and shoving them into pre-labeled huge shipping crates.  In 10 minutes, probably $100k plus in furs, no trying on or selecting for style, just gobbling up as much as they could).  It's pretty eye-opening to see.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Agreed, and it's not unlike the "rudeness" of Japanese tourists when it comes to behaviors like rushing onto elevators and crowding for space, because in many of their home cities, space is a much higher premium than it is throughout the USA.

Even so, "rudeness" is defined by the host culture.  And if "ugly American" tourists are to be called out in other countries for not conforming to the local standards of etiquette, then the opposite is no less legitimate when it comes to visitors to our country.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agreed, and it's not unlike the "rudeness" of Japanese tourists when it comes to behaviors like rushing onto elevators and crowding for space, because in many of their home cities, space is a much higher premium than it is throughout the USA.

Even so, "rudeness" is defined by the host culture.  And if "ugly American" tourists are to be called out in other countries for not conforming to the local standards of etiquette, then the opposite is no less legitimate when it comes to visitors to our country.

I say we squirt 'em all with water guns.

Or maybe even geysers.

• Hook 'Em 1