Dallas Cowboys 2024 Season Thread -- Jerrah the Asshat Rides Again

Truth. Many a pundit have pointed out that an inflated QB salary actually prohibits you from winning the SB. 
That's why you take advantage of QBs on their rookie deals and build around them. Dallas failed to do so. They had Dak and Zeke both on rookie deals. When Zeke was the best in the business. But their defense was grade A garbage. 2016 was the year to do it or at bare minimum, get there. But nope.

Check back later and Dak will be well down this list. That's how salaries work. I believe Dak was the highest paid when he first got his deal years ago and then slid down the list. Every year in every position, it's the highest contract ever!
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, markstanco said:

How much would it have saved if they did this last year?  Maybe 5 million? 

I don’t think Todd France would have negotiated a deal last year as he had his sights on a 5 year $300 million deal.  Jerry probably thinks he saved $60 mil.  Unfortunately Dak will only be 35 when this deal expires.  Dak is in his way to a new deal in 2028 of 4 years $400 mill.  His likely record in playoffs will be 3-8.

• Drool 1

17 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Let's review the highest paid QB's. Nary a Super Bowl winner amongst them.

That’s proof of an insane market, the Super Bowl point doesn’t hit though. Here’s the last decade. Three generational talents (including Mahomes who was the highest paid at his last contract and will blow it up again if he doesn’t regress), a fluke who wasn’t even supposed to be a starter and wasn’t for much longer, and Stafford, who I think is the best comparison for Dak and the others on that list, showing that competent coaching is what matters most with really good qbs who aren’t quite generational. McVay and his staff that year could have won that Super Bowl with a bunch of those guys. And don’t @ me about Brady, nobody should be expected to take less than market rate just because he did and for reasons we already know. If you want to argue that these monster contracts should only be for the Brady’s and Mahomes’ of the world I won’t disagree but the market controls and that’s what drives these contracts.

image.thumb.png.d0782755f2c8e6e2ee42dc435c457428.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That’s proof of an insane market, the Super Bowl point doesn’t hit though. Here’s the last decade. Three generational talents (including Mahomes who was the highest paid at his last contract and will blow it up again if he doesn’t regress), a fluke who wasn’t even supposed to be a starter and wasn’t for much longer, and Stafford, who I think is the best comparison for Dak and the others on that list, showing that competent coaching is what matters most with really good qbs who aren’t quite generational. McVay and his staff that year could have won that Super Bowl with a bunch of those guys. And don’t @ me about Brady, nobody should be expected to take less than market rate just because he did and for reasons we already know. If you want to argue that these monster contracts should only be for the Brady’s and Mahomes’ of the world I won’t disagree but the market controls and that’s what drives these contracts.

image.thumb.png.d0782755f2c8e6e2ee42dc435c457428.png

All great points. However, didn't KC win the Super Bowl w Mahomes before he was locked in with an insane contract?

Coaching absolutely matters most, but having a transformative QB, helps. Dallas has neither.

I would argue that a smarter GM would find a way to have his QB take a lower salary to provide for more better players, and a smarter QB would understand that winning a Super Bowl would increase his value and brand. If anything, if Dak has another horrible playoff game, (and based on what what we've seen, he will), his contract will be held against him by the fans.  

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

All great points. However, didn't KC win the Super Bowl w Mahomes before he was locked in with an insane contract?

Coaching absolutely matters most, but having a transformative QB, helps. Dallas has neither.

I would argue that a smarter GM would find a way to have his QB take a lower salary to provide for more better players, and a smarter QB would understand that winning a Super Bowl would increase his value and brand. If anything, if Dak has another horrible payoff game, (and based on what what we've seen, he will), his contract will be held against him by the fans.  

Mahomes is generational and won two after the contract, they somehow managed to pay other good players too, only the Cowboys fans in this thread seem to think if you refuse to pay market rate all these cheaper players including the most important on the field is a winning formula. Fans are gonna blame Dak anyways because that’s what Cowboys fans do while the owner and his pathetic coaching hires is the real problem. Waiting to draft the next Mahomes isn’t exactly a strategy. That’s literally just gambling.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Mahomes is generational and won two after the contract, they somehow managed to pay other good players too, only the Cowboys fans in this thread seem to think if you refuse to pay market rate all these cheaper players including the most important on the field is a winning formula. Fans are gonna blame Dak anyways because that’s what Cowboys fans do while the owner and his pathetic coaching hires is the real problem. Waiting to draft the next Mahomes isn’t exactly a strategy. That’s literally just gambling.

I'm not convinced the Cowboys problems are entirely coaching. Dak made horrendous decisions on the field when it mattered most; in the playoff game vs the Packers last year. I get market pricing, but I just think it's strange to pay someone the most money in the league who doesn't seem to be on the same level as the Super Bowl winning QBs. 

That's why you take advantage of QBs on their rookie deals and build around them. Dallas failed to do so. They had Dak and Zeke both on rookie deals. When Zeke was the best in the business. But their defense was grade A garbage. 2016 was the year to do it or at bare minimum, get there. But nope.

Check back later and Dak will be well down this list. That's how salaries work. I believe Dak was the highest paid when he first got his deal years ago and then slid down the list. Every year in every position, it's the highest contract ever!

The hard part is staying disciplined and trusting that the success with that rookie-deal qb is because the team and staff are in place. Otherwise you misattribute it to the scarcity of good qb play and you pay the guy out of fear that he will walk otherwise. 49ers facing this right now with Purdy. People seem to take it for granted that they hit on a ‘gem’ and need to pay him which will subsequently begin to kill their roster. In reality, there’s a bunch of dudes that could be successful in that position. Let Purdy walk and draft another one. Hopefully do it with advanced timing so the next guy can sit a year before playing. And keep spending that money on safeties/lbers/guards/etc you can buy a lot of good players at those positions for the cost of 1 qb…

I’ll never believe that paying your best players “kills” the rest of your roster. The “salary cap” has so many exceptions and ways to manipulate that it’s basically meaningless. It’s not my money so I don’t give a shit how they spend it. Zeke’s contract was supposed to make it impossible to sign anyone else for like a decade and yet in the last month we have monster deals to CeeDee and Dak. It’s all just dumbass numbers.

19 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Let's review the highest paid QB's. Nary a Super Bowl winner amongst them.

Jerry-Jones.gif

The next QB who should be an interesting case study is Brock Purdy.  But this is what the QB market is like.... who's up next.  There are 3 runner ups and a guy with 2 MVP's on that list, but what has Trevor Lawrence done to get 55m?  Tua?  Where is Kirk Cousins?  While his deal is AAV at 45m, it really is a 2 year deal for 100m all guaranteed or 3 years for 157.5m, which is 52.5m.  The last year is just a tack on year.

Purdy will be interesting.  Allen probably wants a new deal in two summers, same with Mahomes.  That may be when Houston wants to wrap up CJ.  It's always going to be who's next, but because Jerrah waited and waited and waited..... none of the best QBs who are under 33 are coming up for a couple of years, so Dak may hold the record for at least another year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

and Stafford, who I think is the best comparison for Dak

go read football for dummies, dipshit.  stafford is light years ahead of dak.  there is no comparison.  if dak had to spend the first 10 years of his career on those detroit teams you would not know a goddamn thing about him beyond his career in starkville.  

• Hook 'Em 2

No it doesn't, it's simply been a league run by Brady(who was getting under the table deals and making money hand over fist to take pay cuts) and Mahomes(who's at 45 a year, just behind this list and will be at 70 or more when they redo it...and will STILL be a SB contender.

You have to pay the going rate for a QB. or you have to have the best team around and a guy who can just play (Foles)

6 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I would argue that a smarter GM would find a way to have his QB take a lower salary to provide for more better players, and a smarter QB would understand that winning a Super Bowl would increase his value and brand. If anything, if Dak has another horrible playoff game, (and based on what what we've seen, he will), his contract will be held against him by the fans.  

Agents won’t participate in that discussion.  Only Tom Brady did that and he had a wife that made more than him.  It’s why I would have let Dak hit the market.  Jerry blinked, got skeered he wouldn’t find a qb.  Stupidity.  
Niners better win this season as they will be dismantling the team to fit in Purdy, the next highest paid player in history.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kraft is jealous of Jerry because he doesn’t have Jerry’s oil money, didn’t change the course of the nfl by bringing Fox to the table, and since he wasn’t the GM, all the credit goes to Bill and Brady. Sorry Bob but getting caught getting a blowjob at a low rent tug joint tarnishes your achievements a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’ll never believe that paying your best players “kills” the rest of your roster. The “salary cap” has so many exceptions and ways to manipulate that it’s basically meaningless. It’s not my money so I don’t give a shit how they spend it. Zeke’s contract was supposed to make it impossible to sign anyone else for like a decade and yet in the last month we have monster deals to CeeDee and Dak. It’s all just dumbass numbers.

Just because you don’t understand the salary cap doesn’t mean it isn’t real or doesn’t exist.  It does.  It’s real.  And at some point all dollars must be paid.  Take a look at Spotrac and see how every dollar is accounted for.  Cowboys are charged $6 mil this season for Zeke’s old contract in dead cap, besides his salary on this contract.  That would pay for a nice player or two.  

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

the niners will absolutely not make purdy the highest paid player in history.

We shall see.  Depends on his season but his big game resume is better than Dak’s.

i believe you said the same about Dak.  

Edited by Texzilla58

O M G boys I am so glad we do not have fucked up Mike McDaniel making decisions for us.  
I will take Big Mike a million times over that wake and bake piece of shit in Miami.
McDaniel is nothing more than Jason Garrett. No idea how he got hype. Is it because Miami as a franchise has been terrible for so long and he got them to the playoffs a few times? Is it because of his age and his "swag"??

Mike McDaniel can scheme some offense and he understands what he wants in speed everywhere.  What Miami doesn't do well is manage their finances and they went all in with Tua, who isn't terrible, but limited and very injury prone.  I'd absolutely take McDaniel in an OC role.  
Not so sure how much is scheme versus Tyreek Hill being one of the fastest men on the planet and he opens up any offense he's in. He has some thinking Tua is actually a good QB. Miami is pretty poor towards the end of the seasons and the playoffs.

He is Garrett 2.0. You take away what works and he has no idea how to adjust. Miami's offense without the big play is not good. Can't depend on that every week.