Dallas Cowboys 2024 Season Thread -- Jerrah the Asshat Rides Again

Another big dude who is probably past his prime but we're just asking him to be a rotational piece.  He's cheap, which Stephen likes, but looks like Zimmer won out on getting some girth for the middle.  So Mazi, Osa, and now Lindal at the 1 tech and Carl Lawson at the 3 tech who was signed last week for our IDL rotation.

Zimmer is a big believer in fresh legs at the 1 and 3. So was Jimmy. I believe as well that big winning football starts with controlling the interior line. Failure there leads to disaster. Success brings wins. I watch Steve Worster inflict his will on nose tackles and linebackers with ease. Which opened the other parts of the bone. Fuck I’m gonna look up some Worster videos.

47 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Zimmer is a big believer in fresh legs at the 1 and 3. So was Jimmy. I believe as well that big winning football starts with controlling the interior line. Failure there leads to disaster. Success brings wins. I watch Steve Worster inflict his will on nose tackles and linebackers with ease. Which opened the other parts of the bone. Fuck I’m gonna look up some Worster videos.

Even though he died 2 years ago he would have a good chance to be second on the RB depth chart if they sign him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2024 at 9:20 PM, Texzilla588 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Are you saying championship teams normally win the battles in the trenches? Look at fucking Lombardi here. 

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2024 at 9:50 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 8/22/2024 at 8:18 PM, futureman said:
front office clearly thinks mazi is trash. 

He's dog shit. Another wasted high draft pick.

Yeah, it's a real shitshow of an organization

Accounted for 413 yards. Looked extremely dynamic and good in the pocket. His problem is evident and everyone who’s paid attention to him knows- his accuracy. Most throws he looks decisive and sees field well and makes decent accurate throws. Others, like the last pick, were just WTF. 2 of the picks weren’t his fault. The first and the fourth. The others were atrocious. 

He does have something though. Lack of reps tanks accuracy. Unfortunately there’s nothing more he can do for reps. You could see him get better in each game. But even with that progression, inaccuracy will rear its head. 

Lance looked bad against pretty shitty competition. Many of these chargers will be released soon to seek a future in the UFL or go back to daddy’s car lot. It’s rare for an inaccurate passer to improve to a major degree. His five INTs tonight would be 8 in a real game with a real defense.

A waste of tremendous draft capital between the Niners and Cowboys. Without that he would have been driven out of the league or an annual camp arm hoping to hang on as a third stringer.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Accounted for 413 yards. Looked extremely dynamic and good in the pocket. His problem is evident and everyone who’s paid attention to him knows- his accuracy. Most throws he looks decisive and sees field well and makes decent accurate throws. Others, like the last pick, were just WTF.

If I didn’t know otherwise, this sounds like Dak.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

A waste of tremendous draft capital between the Niners and Cowboys

Def a waste on the niners part.  A 4th rounder from the cowboys doesn't move the needle much.  Stetson Bennet was a 4th round pick.  Trey was worth as much to feel him out, as the athleticism and upside are there.  That said, I'll admit I was wrong and he's likely not the future. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

Lance looked bad against pretty shitty competition. Many of these chargers will be released soon to seek a future in the UFL or go back to daddy’s car lot. It’s rare for an inaccurate passer to improve to a major degree. His five INTs tonight would be 8 in a real game with a real defense.

A waste of tremendous draft capital between the Niners and Cowboys. Without that he would have been driven out of the league or an annual camp arm hoping to hang on as a third stringer.

I disagree to some extent. He looked good, really good and accurate on 40+ of his passes. One of the picks was receiver’s fault and one was a really good play by a guy that will definitely make their roster. He can’t play like that in a regular season game. Cowboys dominated game from TOP and yardage standpoint. They only lost because of his picks. 

Def a waste on the niners part.  A 4th rounder from the cowboys doesn't move the needle much.  Stetson Bennet was a 4th round pick.  Trey was worth as much to feel him out, as the athleticism and upside are there.  That said, I'll admit I was wrong and he's likely not the future. 

We didn’t need a QB at 4. But lots of good RBs, DBs, LBs, and OLs live there. Cowboys needed a player capsble of contributing. The worst part is he will be on the 53 as they won’t risk putting him on the PS.

Here’s what I would do with Lance since we’re starting CK with him. Instead of paying him $5 mil to stand on the sideline as the emergency QB move him to the RB room. He adds speed and can do some things. He just can’t pass. Lemon into lemonade. Or dogshit stays dogshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What else are you going to do with him? He’s a waste of a roster spot otherwise. He’s proven he’s not an nfl quarterback.

Which running back are you sending to the qb room?

He sucks but needed (hopefully not). Sending him to the rb room at the end of August is beyond retarded though.

Not cutting an RB. He’s on the 53. He can still be a fucking backup qb. Jerry said if he had to play he’d be running more than throwing. Let him earn his keep and be an RB. Get him in space on some sweeps instead of CeeDee. Having him on the 53 is stupid. He won’t be put on the PS so make him earn his keep. If he’s hurt 3rd stringers are dime a dozen who won’t throw 5 INTs in a preseason game.

5 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Accounted for 413 yards. Looked extremely dynamic and good in the pocket. His problem is evident and everyone who’s paid attention to him knows- his accuracy. Most throws he looks decisive and sees field well and makes decent accurate throws. Others, like the last pick, were just WTF. 2 of the picks weren’t his fault. The first and the fourth. The others were atrocious. 

He does have something though. Lack of reps tanks accuracy. Unfortunately there’s nothing more he can do for reps. You could see him get better in each game. But even with that progression, inaccuracy will rear its head. 

I agree there were some good things and he did get better and better throughout this preseason, but too many mental mistakes and as you and others have said, he really needs reps and he won't be getting them anymore.  It's what happens when you draft a kid who barely played in FCS who's mentally not ahead of the curve.  He would have needed to come along slowly and get monster reps to be ready to play by year 3, but instead..... Frankly, he should have stayed in school, but can't really criticize the decision, he went top 5.  But in reality, he needed more reps at the collegiate level.  Also injuries early his his career really hurt him.  If Dallas really wants to develop him, then tonight was sort of good.  Enough positives to build on but enough obvious mental mistakes and accuracy issues which means he won't get a big offer from another team.  I do wonder what his upside is?  Really good backup?  Bottom 1/3 starter?  Maybe top 20 starter?  He doesn't look like he'll ever be as good as Dak, but he is only 24.  I don't know, tough decision probably dictated by what happens with Dak and others.

4 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I think most will look to what RB could they have gotten right around where Dallas could have picked.  So this probably means guys like Bucky Irving, Ray Davis, Braelon Allen, Audric Estime, or even Jaylen Wright.  Any of those guys pop, and all have looked good early, and the decision will be criticized fairly heavily, fair or not.

3 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

What else are you going to do with him? He’s a waste of a roster spot otherwise. He’s proven he’s not an nfl quarterback.

Has he?  He'll be the 3rd QB.  Rush will be the guy who will fill in for Dak if he's out 3-4 weeks.  If Dak misses the season for some reason and it goes south pretty quickly, I could see Lance getting the 2nd half of the season to himself to get real reps.  He's definitely not a RB or run with those type of skills.  Yes, he's fast but he's not ultra elusive and he's not the guy who will lower his shoulder like Allen or a Taysom Hill, who is much much larger.  I don't think Lance is a better runner than most of our outside weapons.  Maybe a trick play or something, but definitely not a consistent part of the sweep game.

The biggest takeaway with Lance is replacing Dak, if he chooses to move on, could be really really hard and maybe a multi-year challenge.  Dak may prove Jerrah's last chance at a deep playoff run before he dies, and he's chosen to fuck around and go cheap.... Sort of shows where is priorities are.  He'll talk the game of being "all in", but he's totally full of shit.

ok someone explain this talk of Jerry being cheap or wont spend money…. not saying he is or isnt but all I see is a 200+ million dollar payroll….. what do I need to be looking at to notice lack of spending? 

6 hours ago, Rholl said:

ok someone explain this talk of Jerry being cheap or wont spend money…. not saying he is or isnt but all I see is a 200+ million dollar payroll….. what do I need to be looking at to notice lack of spending? 

He hasn’t spend huge money in a couple of years. Like he used to.

so people are screaming he’s cheap. Just like they used to scream HE SPENDS TOO MUCH MONEY AND WE ARE IN CAP HELL!

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

so people are screaming he’s cheap. Just like they used to scream HE SPENDS TOO MUCH MONEY AND WE ARE IN CAP HELL!

It's both. His cheapness leads to him having to overpay which leads to the cap hell.

6 hours ago, Rholl said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cash/_/year/2024/sort/cash_total

Cowboys rank 32nd. 225 million dollars spent compare that to the Eagles spending 340 million this season

• Like 1

The Dallas front office has a big basket of snakes of some bad decisions on previous contracts combined with some good drafts coming to maturity along with some potentially disastrous decisions to come.
Add in some excellent gamesmanship by agents and a few dumb ideas and Jerry is aging so fast he’s calling Soros for an adrenochrome hookup.

4, 88, and 11 expect to be the highest paid QB, offensive, and defensive players in history and if it happens for each, these three will eat about half of the cap. Thats hard to field a winning team with that when you need top CBs and OL to compete.

CeeDee. Their offer of 33.x million is an easy rough calc to show their logic that it’s slightly better than Jefferson’s 35. It’s Jerry using the tax table of 0 in Texas vs 9.6% in Minnesota x 8 games + 8 matching the 35. Agents generally don’t pay much attention. Jerry will get it done most likely this week.

Dak. His current contract is a problem they have to work thru and his agent has the leverage. Because they have borrowed against it in previous years he’s got a $55 mil number this year and if he leaves in 25, three void years roll up for a $40mil dead cap hit. Eventually the credit card bill must be paid in total. The answer for that is burying it in a new long term contract and that’s problematic too.

First, is Dak the guy? Would you pay him say 5yr $300 mil $240 guaranteed? Jerry is probably doubting that after the Green Bay game. That team should have made the champ game at the least. So the price right now should be the baseline for 25 but he’ll hit the open market most likely and make a bit more wherever he plays. I think he’s a loser in big games; his head isn’t the leader you need. If he walks you figure it out for 25 or 26.

No QBs are under contract for 25. Would you give Lance a 2nd contract based on what you’ve seen by now because hopefully he doesn’t play another down before free agency. Thats a hard no and waste of a 4. Drunk Jerry again.

His agent wants to wait for now. The open market will serve Dak well. McCarthy’s situation plays here too. This is where Jerry’s dumbness factors as well. He should have fired Mike after Green Bay and had a roadmap and the chance to see if Dak could improve with a new coach, who would have input on a new contract or not. Dak hasn’t been the same since Jon Kitna didn’t even get an interview with McCarthy.

So nothing will clear up here until January.

Micah. Why is this a question? He’s under contract two more years. They can then franchise him. Let’s see if he can complete a full season without being gassed by thanksgiving. Is he really that disruptive or have teams figured him out? Can Zimmer use him different and save him some wear and tear as Quinn tried to wear his ass out like Earl Campbell. I would trade him for some picks to help get a new QB.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

The Dallas front office has a big basket of snakes of some bad decisions on previous contracts combined with some good drafts coming to maturity along with some potentially disastrous decisions to come.
Add in some excellent gamesmanship by agents and a few dumb ideas and Jerry is aging so fast he’s calling Soros for an adrenochrome hookup.

4, 88, and 11 expect to be the highest paid QB, offensive, and defensive players in history and if it happens for each, these three will eat about half of the cap. Thats hard to field a winning team with that when you need top CBs and OL to compete.

CeeDee. Their offer of 33.x million is an easy rough calc to show their logic that it’s slightly better than Jefferson’s 35. It’s Jerry using the tax table of 0 in Texas vs 9.6% in Minnesota x 8 games + 8 matching the 35. Agents generally don’t pay much attention. Jerry will get it done most likely this week.

Dak. His current contract is a problem they have to work thru and his agent has the leverage. Because they have borrowed against it in previous years he’s got a $55 mil number this year and if he leaves in 25, three void years roll up for a $40mil dead cap hit. Eventually the credit card bill must be paid in total. The answer for that is burying it in a new long term contract and that’s problematic too.

First, is Dak the guy? Would you pay him say 5yr $300 mil $240 guaranteed? Jerry is probably doubting that after the Green Bay game. That team should have made the champ game at the least. So the price right now should be the baseline for 25 but he’ll hit the open market most likely and make a bit more wherever he plays. I think he’s a loser in big games; his head isn’t the leader you need. If he walks you figure it out for 25 or 26.

No QBs are under contract for 25. Would you give Lance a 2nd contract based on what you’ve seen by now because hopefully he doesn’t play another down before free agency. Thats a hard no and waste of a 4. Drunk Jerry again.

His agent wants to wait for now. The open market will serve Dak well. McCarthy’s situation plays here too. This is where Jerry’s dumbness factors as well. He should have fired Mike after Green Bay and had a roadmap and the chance to see if Dak could improve with a new coach, who would have input on a new contract or not. Dak hasn’t been the same since Jon Kitna didn’t even get an interview with McCarthy.

So nothing will clear up here until January.

Micah. Why is this a question? He’s under contract two more years. They can then franchise him. Let’s see if he can complete a full season without being gassed by thanksgiving. Is he really that disruptive or have teams figured him out? Can Zimmer use him different and save him some wear and tear as Quinn tried to wear his ass out like Earl Campbell. I would trade him for some picks to help get a new QB.

I would have traded CD LOOOOONG before trading Micah. 

Micah is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, and those are far more valuable than WRs.

10 hours ago, Rholl said:

what do I need to be looking at to notice lack of spending? 

I don’t know, your eyes maybe?  This question along with Texzilla’s insistence Lance move to RB combined with Cowboys futility and Drew…..image.gif.8b5d91872f7f09bca8e22041f7653089.gif

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Micah is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, and those are far more valuable than WRs.

Micah has zero work ethic. He disappears in big games and pads stats against NFC East opponents. He is a paper tiger. CeeDee by far the more important player. We should not pay Micah. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rholl said:

Read back through the thread, there are plenty of articles and statistics to show you that since Stephen took over the purse strings, the Cowboys have been one of the cheapest organizations in the NFL in cash outlay, or money actually spent.  They hide behind the salary cap and most fans ignorance of how the economics of football, but they live behind marketing and hoopla to drive net worth rather than actual pour money back into the final product.  They are really bad at the salary cap too and negotiation, which leads to some bad contracts, but at the heart of it..... Stephen is cheap and Jerrah is now too.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Micah has zero work ethic. He disappears in big games and pads stats against NFC East opponents. He is a paper tiger. CeeDee by far the more important player. We should not pay Micah. 

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

That's not really it.  Nobody cares about "spending too much", it's the misallocation of resources.  Jerrah used to misidentify talent and therefore misallocate on contracts.  Over the past decade they have gotten fairly good at drafting.  Like all teams they have misses *cough* Taco and Mazi *cough*, but overall they draft way better than they did when Jerrah was making most of the decisions.  But they've still been bad at negotiation, going back to the Emmit days.  He still goes cheap, gets called out and then gets bent over until he pays a bit over market.  Additionally, Stephen is much more cost conscious so now, they're better at talent identification, but still bad at negotiation within much more constrained economic principles.  The Eagles and others have proven that Salary Cap Hell, while it can exist, if you have a deep understanding of the salary cap, it can be quick and not nearly as painful as though.  Within two years, you can be back competing for the playoffs if you're good at talent acquisiton.

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Dallas is at best 9-7. That’s with some fucking miracles this year 

Is that last game a tie or something?  They just decide not to play it?

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Why does every 53-man roster prediction include Schoonmaker as a given? Just because he was a second round pick? Has he done anything at all to earn that kind of benefit of the doubt?

It's a great question.  I thought about it yesterday.  It's hard to see, maybe he's a really stout blocker in practice, because without that, yea, he's just another midwestern stiff who probably should have been a 5th round pick.  Have to think his 2nd round investment is keeping him on the roster or at least giving him the tie breakers.  

It's hard to believe a QB who has never been a starter in the NFL can't simply come in and immediately give an all-star performance. Obviously Lance needs to go. 

But suppose over the season, a thousand reps helps him improve by 50%. Next year he only throws 2 pics per game, or maybe one? Next year he improves his ability to tuck and run, maybe makes one or two fifty yarders per game? He's fast, right? How's he gonna look behind a team that adds an extra fifty million or so to their cap? Maybe a couple of unstoppable young pass rushers? Two or so premier offensive linemen (who will pull up those around them)?

Fuck Dak. He's injury prone. He peaked a couple of years ago.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Micah disappears in big games? What were CDs stats in the first half of the GB game before things got so bad that GB quit covering anyone?

You going to pay him $40+ mil ? He’s very good but as I said teams are figuring him out, running away from him or right over him, or exploiting his overpursuit. And his stamina for a 20 game season is dubious. I hope he becomes worthy of being the top paid non QB in history. He’s the only real tradeable huge asset they have. If they need a QB they need picks.