Dallas Cowboys 2024 Season Thread -- Jerrah the Asshat Rides Again

Dak would be an absolute idiot to do a sign and trade. Why would his agent allow that? Dak is in the driver seat here. His agent wants either a monstrous 4-5 year deal with Dak in Dallas making him the highest paid player in history, or getting him to the open market in spring 25 that will make him an even bigger highest paid player in history.

I guess, maybe, but if so that team will suck when it matters

14 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I am pretty sure no trade clauses are standard on the sizeable contracts.  He could waive the no trade clause if he's fine with the team.  I think he's prepared to go to free agency at this point.  Barring some catastrophic injury he'll be paid by someone

7 players have no trade clauses..... all QBs.

11 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm over debating about if Dak is good or not, and I appreciate that you can take my sometimes tiring snark in stride. I just can't wrap my head around letting a starting quality QB walk away for nothing, even if we all think he stinks.

The presumed benefit is cap space.  There is no market for a guy on his last year who is hitting free agency with a not trade clause UNLESS you allowed him to negotiate with the team first and that team would probably just want to wait until he's officially a free agent instead of giving up a draft pick which as stated earlier would have to be better than a 3rd.  It would be a really hard needle to thread and we're in the season already so I doubt Dak wants the hassle. 

18 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Well I suppose if some team is willing to give up draft capital or something to get him in in a trade, then that would be great, but that sounds unlikely. It would be best to let Dak walk in order for some other team to strangle themselves by over paying him.

If 50m-60m a year is going to Dak then that money can’t go to other roster spots. Dak has proven that he cannot win big playoff games by himself, that he needs a very strong cast around him. So it’s either: (a) pay Dak and skimp on the rest of the roster and then fail in the playoffs as soon as competition gets real, or (b) let Dak walk, pay for other roster spots that have market values that are more sensible and then find another guy to drive the bus, preferably in a rookie deal. Sort of the SF model.

Also, they should just ask bill belicheck what he wants and do that. Hopefully the cowboys hire him for next season anyway.

SF lucked into their situation with Purdy, just like Dallas did with Dak and Romo before him.  SF drafted current draft bust Trey Lane (which they gave up a ton of draft capital) and actively tried to trade for Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Cousins.  They're not really some franchise with the magic game plan.  They like every other fucking organization are trying to find a franchise QB all the time and when Purdy comes due..... they'll pay him, probably some obscene amount which half their fanbase will say is tragic because they don't understand modern economics of professional football nor the complexities of the salary cap; which is no criticism to them, our team has a self made billionaire and son who's entire life has been spent in pro football and they still don't know what they're doing with the cap.

I guess, maybe, but if so that team will suck when it matters

Well yes. I’m just saying neither side has any real interest in nailing down a deal. I am with Jerry or Stephen or whoever in hanging back and seeing where it plays. If Mike and Dak perform and get to a championship game they will get paid. If they continue their January suckage they’ll be gone.

Dallas needs to get off the void year heroin. CeeDee’s contract has no void years which is a step in right direction. Dak is a $40 mil hit in 25 if he leaves but if stays those years get pushed down the road like a bad credit card debt. There is $21 mil in dead cap for 24 including $6m for Zeke and $6m for Tyron. And $4 for Gallup. (How bout quit signing long term deals for injured players. Put on one year prove it )

SF lucked into their situation with Purdy, just like Dallas did with Dak and Romo before him.  SF drafted current draft bust Trey Lane (which they gave up a ton of draft capital) and actively tried to trade for Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Cousins.  They're not really some franchise with the magic game plan.  They like every other fucking organization are trying to find a franchise QB all the time and when Purdy comes due..... they'll pay him, probably some obscene amount which half their fanbase will say is tragic because they don't understand modern economics of professional football nor the complexities of the salary cap; which is no criticism to them, our team has a self made billionaire and son who's entire life has been spent in pro football and they still don't know what they're doing with the cap.

Sf should not pay Purdy. They didn’t just get lucky. QBs coming out of college are more ready to play than they used to be. If you have a stacked roster around them and a good staff that can play to strengths, then you can make it easier to be successful. Lower the bar for how great the qb needs to play in order to be successful and then you can churn through qbs and keep that spot cheap. If you do hit on one, then trade him for draft picks and stay confident you’ll find another.

If you pick shitty qb and the team sucks, then you’ll get a good draft pick and can try again. That’s better than paying everything to a guy that will suck when it matters but wins enough that you can’t get a good pick.

45 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Sf should not pay Purdy. They didn’t just get lucky. QBs coming out of college are more ready to play than they used to be. If you have a stacked roster around them and a good staff that can play to strengths, then you can make it easier to be successful. Lower the bar for how great the qb needs to play in order to be successful and then you can churn through qbs and keep that spot cheap. If you do hit on one, then trade him for draft picks and stay confident you’ll find another.

If you pick shitty qb and the team sucks, then you’ll get a good draft pick and can try again. That’s better than paying everything to a guy that will suck when it matters but wins enough that you can’t get a good pick.

I’m honestly surprised that no one has really tried to moneyball the QB position like this. Draft a steady stream of 3rd-5th rounders and sign cheap veterans to compete. Get 5 guys in camp and go with the one least likely to turn the ball over. You’ll go through some lean years but you’ll also hit the jackpot occasionally. The $40 million you save can go a long way toward the rest of the roster.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t, but the alternative is paying bums like Baker Mayfield $40m/year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m honestly surprised that no one has really tried to moneyball the QB position like this. Draft a steady stream of 3rd-5th rounders and sign cheap veterans to compete. Get 5 guys in camp and go with the one least likely to turn the ball over. You’ll go through some lean years but you’ll also hit the jackpot occasionally. The $40 million you save can go a long way toward the rest of the roster.
Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t, but the alternative is paying bums like Baker Mayfield $40m/year. 

Draft them regularly, let them sit a year or two before they play. Keep the roster stacked and the coaching staff right. Then they’ll get in, be successful, and then trade them for draft capital.

You should draft or sign a viable UDFA prospect every year. Abundance in QB room in camp will occassionally find a Brady, Romo, or Purdy but should at least provide a path to increase draft capital. As Jimmy said, even with the best personnel analytics, it’s a crap shoot and the only way to truly improve is have more picks.

Yeah there are like 3-4 guys like Brady, Romo, and Purdy in each draft.  Seems like a no brainer to me.

I said that was rare but lots of journeymen are out there, and for every Peyton manning ate a bunch of Ryan leafs. Drafting a third day qb or signing a UDFA is a clearer paths to making draft value than any other position.

Quinn is going to the Cowboys next year. 1st round pick to the Cowboys. Semi-local boy going to resurrect the home team and such. Arch is going to make the Saints wait, as he comes back for his Senior year to win back to back National Championships.

Hook’em!!!

Quinn is going to the Cowboys next year. 1st round pick to the Cowboys. Semi-local boy going to resurrect the home team and such. Arch is going to make the Saints wait, as he comes back for his Senior year to win back to back National Championships.

Hook’em!!!
This front office will not use that high of a pick on a QB. The last time they drafted one in the top rounds was Quincy Carter 2 decades ago. They don't value the QB for whatever reason.

Was he smoking dope in the EA version?.

Q was smart with his money. He banked his baseball and football bonuses and lived cheap. My son became acquainted with him when he was playing in Shreveport and he admitted he was chronic. He loved Jerry for trying to help him, and he loved Parcells for being tough on him and trying to make him a better qb.

He supposedly runs a QB school. I don’t think that’s the on I would choose for my kid.

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 8/30/2024 at 5:06 PM, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

This front office will not use that high of a pick on a QB. The last time they drafted one in the top rounds was Quincy Carter 2 decades ago. They don't value the QB for whatever reason.

We won't have a high pick if Dak is healthy.  We'll be in the middle of the pack worst case.  See, this is a minimum of a 2 year, probably 3 year process...... and that's just to acquire one, then you have to coach em' up and develop them unless you get a rarity.  Additionally, next year's QB class is pretty shitty.  There will always be a guy or two but for the most part, it's not very good.  Other positions are pretty stout including WR and defensively.  You want to get rid of Dak, you best have a better alternative then, we'll see what Lance has or we'll get a journeyman and then see what the draft gets us because that's set up for failure and a cycle of real pain unless they can strike the lottery 3 times in a row.  

A week to see if this has been solved...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41122997/commanders-suspend-vp-comments-players-jones-goodell

What’s this guys Surly handle?

Some gems:

Enteen also said, "I don't think the commissioner of the NFL hates gay people, hates black people. Jerry Jones, who really runs the NFL, I think he hates gay people, black people."

Enteen told the undercover reporter that "most of the fans are high-school-educated alcoholics" and called them "mouth breathers."

Kind of nails it…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hookem48 said:

we have black Romo now.

I know people feel some kind of way about Dak right now, but it's pretty fucking incredible that the Cowboys lucked into a very good QB with an UDFA signing, then when he broke down they immediately lucked into a very good replacement with a 4th round pick and yet....they haven't won jack shit over that time span.

We won't have a high pick if Dak is healthy.  We'll be in the middle of the pack worst case.  See, this is a minimum of a 2 year, probably 3 year process...... and that's just to acquire one, then you have to coach em' up and develop them unless you get a rarity.  Additionally, next year's QB class is pretty shitty.  There will always be a guy or two but for the most part, it's not very good.  Other positions are pretty stout including WR and defensively.  You want to get rid of Dak, you best have a better alternative then, we'll see what Lance has or we'll get a journeyman and then see what the draft gets us because that's set up for failure and a cycle of real pain unless they can strike the lottery 3 times in a row.  
A week to see if this has been solved...

If Dak is playing his usual great regular season self then they’ll end up with a pick in the 18-24 range, likely no place to grab a top prospect and they have no draft capital unless they trade Parsons.

All three QBs are FAs at end of season. If Dak flames out and leaves for big money elsewhere what do you do with Lance? I think they were showcasing him in preseason hoping he was either somewhat decent to keep around or trade in hopes of getting that 4 pick back. 5 INTs didn’t make that happen and there were tons of qb prospects released and signed as FAs. Lance proved he’s a great athlete with a bad brain.

Dak leaves and he’s still $40 mil in dead cap so you gotta be cheap in 25.

19 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41122997/commanders-suspend-vp-comments-players-jones-goodell

Some gems:

Enteen also said, "I don't think the commissioner of the NFL hates gay people, hates black people. Jerry Jones, who really runs the NFL, I think he hates gay people, black people."

Enteen told the undercover reporter that "most of the fans are high-school-educated alcoholics" and called them "mouth breathers."

Kind of nails it…

Nice. He nailed it nearly across the board.

Too much truth and facts so they fired him.

Let's get him over here. It'd probably be a pay cut though. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41134789/commanders-fire-vp-comments-players-jones-goodell

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/4/2024 at 3:55 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Some gems:

Kind of nails it…

O'Keefe Media Group stirrin' up trouble again

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Not for me. If they win, great…. I don’t expect I though. I just accept that at best they’ll be a 2nd round playoff exit. Hell, if by a miracle Dallas went undefeated by 25 points a game, I STILL would be shocked if they made the CCG.

Edited by lilMAC25