InkaUtexas' Thread of Olympic Soccer Doom

The only thing more disgraceful than giving Argentina 16 minutes of added time just so they can equalize ... would be letting the goal stand, stopping play, clearing the stadium, and then disallowing the score after a two-hour delay.

Ahahahaha! That is too bizarre to be scripted.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Brunette on the right at the 22 second mark of the tweet below may be the most beautiful fan at the Olympics. 

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.62b9efce339323acd00c9b453ee6b0be.jpeg

But let's not be too hasty. Its only day -2 of the Olympics and they are in France.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Argentina won the Copa. They can take this loss to their ego. Oh wait, it is Argentina. Invasion of Morocco starts in 1,2,3. The Belgrano is heading that way. Oh wait.

• Haha 4

Just now, Captain Ron said:

Jokes aside I think we should have a US Soccer game thread for all the matches.

correct - we will have one thread for all US Olympic matches, after the Olympics I'll merge it in the USMNT thread. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

correct - we will have one thread for all US Olympic matches, after the Olympics I'll merge it in the USMNT thread. 

No reason to merge it if a the entire thread can be moved so easier to see.

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

12 minutes of stoppage time in Iraq/Ukraine.  and they played 13 minutes.  better get used to it.

War-torn countries without working clocks. 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Argentina won the Copa. They can take this loss to their ego. Oh wait, it is Argentina. Invasion of Morocco starts in 1,2,3. The Belgrano is heading that way. Oh wait.

I don’t believe that Argentina has any working air force planes. 

Most of the military is trained to prevent a coup. (Or to support one, depending on who is in power.)

Egypt ties it up. 1-1.

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

After two Dominicans simulate being mortally wounded on only slight contact, another Dominican flagrantly kicks at a Spaniard's jewels and is shown straight red.

Never change, CONCACAF.

Dominicans give zero fucks about soccer. But they hate the Spanish so this dude will be a national hero.

• Like 1

I was looking at the standings - the women's side is still very much open, with no one yet eliminated. The big one is Canada who sit at 0 points after being docked 6 for their coach spying on other teams. They have one of the easier roads to the KO stage:

They need 2 things:

• Win against New Zealand
  • And 1 of the following teams must lose:
    • Colombia (v France)
    • France (v Colombia)
    • Germany (v Zambia)
    • Australia (v United States)
    • Japan (v Nigeria)
    • Brazil (v Spain)

A Colombia or France loss would send Canada through as the #2 team in their group, while the other 4 teams would send them through as a 3rd place team.

The big thing for Canada is that unlike other teams at 0 or 3 points, their GD is great and ideally should beat anyone in a H2H matchup for seeding.

On 7/29/2024 at 9:26 AM, Captain Ron said:

I was looking at the standings - the women's side is still very much open, with no one yet eliminated. The big one is Canada who sit at 0 points after being docked 6 for their coach spying on other teams. They have one of the easier roads to the KO stage:

They need 2 things:

• Win against New Zealand
  • And 1 of the following teams must lose:
    • Colombia (v France)
    • France (v Colombia)
    • Germany (v Zambia)
    • Australia (v United States)
    • Japan (v Nigeria)
    • Brazil (v Spain)

A Colombia or France loss would send Canada through as the #2 team in their group, while the other 4 teams would send them through as a 3rd place team.

The big thing for Canada is that unlike other teams at 0 or 3 points, their GD is great and ideally should beat anyone in a H2H matchup for seeding.

I don't know what the fuck I was looking at. Today isn't Canada-New Zealand, Colombia-France. Today Canada plays Colombia. And it's simple - win and move on as the #2 team. And in the event that New Zealand can pull an upset, Canada can be the #1 team in the group!

This might be the last image we ever see of Marta, a straight red against Spain. Not much to be debated on this call.

I will say this, for US fans, she is easily the villain of the story of soccer. But she might just be misunderstood. I recommend watching this video (spoilered for space). It likely won't change your view on her, but it might:

Spoiler

• Hook 'Em 1