InkaUtexas' Thread of Olympic Soccer Doom

21 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The hell? That is about as clear of a penalty as you will ever see, I'm shocked that had to go to VAR.

I didn't see the play. Just saw Fastbreak's post and wanted to whinge some more cuz I'm still salty over Friday's match.

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I didn't see the play. Just saw Fastbreak's post and wanted to whinge some more cuz I'm still salty over Friday's match.

If you feel a distraction is in order to assist you in moving on France is currently battling Latvia (sp?) in a 3-3 semi final. It's riveting and might help you.

Also, are people here pulling for Spain over Morocco?!? If so, get fucked.

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

If you feel a distraction is in order to assist you in moving on France is currently battling Latvia (sp?) in a 3-3 semi final. It's riveting and might help you.

I don't really care about this tournament anymore, I wanted the US to get a medal - but we fucked that up, so whatever.

I will say this - I would prefer non-traditional powers win, so I guess that means Morocco and Egypt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I don't really care about this tournament anymore, I wanted the US to get a medal - but we fucked that up, so whatever.

I will say this - I would prefer non-traditional powers win, so I guess that means Morocco and Egypt.

Well, pretty close to the same except I proactively root against both Spain and France cause Italian. 

• Haha 1

Man, that last sequence by Morocco just makes me wonder about our coaching, across the board.

FIRST - they took the ball directly into the box, no stupid crosses over and over and OVER.  It was a direct move.

Next - the flow of the players, the Moroccans were  moving without the ball, they were getting themselves open of passes for the guy who had the ball. They understood what space was there and moved toward it. The guy with the ball could pass the ball into space and anticipate SOMEONE was moving toward it.

Again, looking at who our front line and some of the MFs we have - this is the type of attack we should have. Not that garbage that Gregg was rolling out there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Man, that last sequence by Morocco just makes me wonder about our coaching, across the board.

FIRST - they took the ball directly into the box, no stupid crosses over and over and OVER.  It was a direct move.

Next - the flow of the players, the Moroccans were  moving without the ball, they were getting themselves open of passes for the guy who had the ball. They understood what space was there and moved toward it. The guy with the ball could pass the ball into space and anticipate SOMEONE was moving toward it.

Again, looking at who our front line and some of the MFs we have - this is the type of attack we should have. Not that garbage that Gregg was rolling out there.

I sent someone a text that our men didn't even know where to fucking look. Much less where they should be heading or where to be. 

Our team was fucking painful to watch. 

#hater

33 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

seems a bit extreme.

only rooting interest left is les bleus. would say i'd be happy to see mar win if not. 

looks like that's over.

Posted (edited)

not sure how that was not a penalty in the box on egypt.

olympic france starting to remind me of euros france. how many times can you hit the post in one game? good lord.

Edited by sidis

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I dont know who is worse the pbp guy or the chick doing color.

They could stand to both shut the fuck up.

Thankfully there's a Spanish option. 

Dallas Mavericks tv PBP man Mark Followill. He is a bit amped up.

I think calling these games from a booth in Connecticut must be hard to find the right intensity.

Edited by LonghornSean

9 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

I think calling these games from a booth in Connecticut must be hard to find the right intensity.

i have this game on in the other room while i am trying to get shit done as i am oft to do and will usually go off of the sound of the commentators to determine if i should get up and go see what is happening.

this methodology is failing me today. i would have thought the score of this game was 19-16 based on the pbp's random explosions of screaming. i keep walking in there to see replays of france heading balls 20 feet over the goal.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

he also did PBP for FC Dallas before Apple TV took over (and he still does MLS games for Apple TV when his Mavs duties allow).  i like Followill.  but he does have a Gus Johnson vibe for those who like more subdued and understated (i.e., British) soccer commentators.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Just now, randomhorn said:

Egyptian players losing their cool and I'm willing to bet they lose another guy to a red card

i feel like one of them is close to punching the ref.

7 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

The Play by play guy for this match, this is his first time ever calling a soccer match, right?   

he's an old pro.  but he's a Ticket guy and an NBA announcer.  so he doesn't call it like a typical soccer announcer.

Soccer

[edit]

Followill is also the television play-by-play announcer for FC Dallas. In 2012, he began calling FCD games except when they conflicted with his responsibilities with the Mavericks.[5] His work with FC Dallas gained the attention of Fox Sports, who named him as one of their announcers for Copa America Centenario.[6] Later that summer, he was named as one of the announcers for NBC's coverage of soccer at the 2016 Summer Olympics.[7] In 2017, Fox named him part of their team covering that year's CONCACAF Gold Cup.[8] He has also called UEFA Europa League, Bundesliga, MLS, FIFA U-17 World Cup, and FIFA U-20 World Cup action for Fox.[9] Followill was also an announcer for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.[10]

Followill joined the broadcasting team for MLS Season Pass on Apple TV in 2023.