Rugby 7s Thread

• immamac changed the title to Rugby 7s Thread

I enjoyed watching that more than full squad I have watched in the past. Purists probably hate it.  Liked the space and runs, even though scoring was still low.

Full disclosure not a rugby aficionado by any stretch 

Just now, tokamak said:

Wait did I just hear the announcer say that some random American guy is the 2 time world player of the year? That doesn't seem right.

Perry, he seems very fast. lol

1 minute ago, WBT said:

4 tries now

Hell of a performance, I don't have much knowledge on this, but it doesn't seem like we tackle/defend all that well, at least by comparison to the big boys like Fiji, Australia, etc.  

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm only sorta paying attention to this. Why do they sometimes kick the extra point from right up close and other times from way far away?

You kick in line with where you ground the ball for a try. Score out wide and you basically have a 40 meter drop goal attempt. Score under the posts and the conversion is way easier.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm only sorta paying attention to this. Why do they sometimes kick the extra point from right up close and other times from way far away?

I see Rudiger answered it.  If you ground it or down it outside you wouldn't want to be close to the goal line on the kick because of the angle, so you have to back it up.

23 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

I see Rudiger answered it.  If you ground it or down it outside you wouldn't want to be close to the goal line on the kick because of the angle, so you have to back it up.

So the sideline-to-sideline placement is based on where you ground it, but the distance from the goal line is up to the kicker?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So the sideline-to-sideline placement is based on where you ground it, but the distance from the goal line is up to the kicker?

I'm a casual watcher, but that's the way I've always understood it.   It's up to the kicker as long as they are inline with where it was touched down.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Correct. Especially in 15s where you can kick from a tee, you’ll often see them kick from behind the 22 because it gives them a better angle. And you can kick inside the 22, but as soon as you start your run up to kick, the other team (which has to start behind the try line) can start running up to try to block your kick. 

• Hook 'Em 2