Rugby 7s Thread

Fiji with 2 late tries and the final stop over 3 minutes after the gun to survive against Ireland.

US vs Australia up next for the last spot in the medal rounds.

I like how you get to finish your last possession after time runs out.  I'd be interested in seeing that play out in American football.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

New to this but how are these matches 20 minutes start to finish?  Went to take a shit and damn near missed the whole thing 

7 minutes halves.  7 on 7 nonstop running and tackling on basically a full sized football field.  I don't think anyone could go much longer and keep up the intensity.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

The Gold Medal match between France & Fiji was awesome. 

Tied 7-7 at halftime,  Antoine Dupont, "The Closer", comes off the bench to a thunderous ovation.

First time to touches the ball, he promptly does a Ricky Williams style burst down the sideline, tossing to a teammate for the go ahead try. Dupont added 2 more tries to lead France to a 28-7 win and the Gold Medal, on the first full day of the Paris Olympics.

Dupont inspires France's first Paris 2024 gold

image.png.b773892d9272c5de6fc725c2f0b47c4f.png

Dupont inspires France's first Paris 2024 Gold

Superstar scrum-half Antoine Dupont delivered in mesmerising style as he came off the bench to lead France to their first gold of the Paris Olympics.

Dupont, a poster boy of the Games, set up a try and scored two himself to inspire the hosts to a stunning 28-7 win over Fiji in the men's rugby sevens final.

"It is sensational. It is unbelievable. It is a big reward for us," Dupont said.

"It is huge. We worked a lot for a lot of months and a lot of years - in some players' case - for this moment."

The match was tied 7-7 at half-time when the inspirational Dupont, who decided to skip the Six Nations to focus on the sevens, came on to the field to a huge ovation.

Within 21 seconds, he had scampered down the left flank and found British-born Aaron Grandidier on hand to finish off the move.

From that point, France grew in confidence and never looked like being beaten.

Dupont added two more tries - including one after the final hooter - to spark jubilant scenes.

French President Emmanuel Macron celebrated in the stands as the players and almost 70,000 spectators sang and danced in triumph.

The majority of the crowd remained standing for the next hour, going through a repertoire of songs including a rousing rendition of national anthem La Marseillaise, before applauding each of the victorious home players as the gold medals were put around their necks.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Dupont is a titan in the 15-a-side ranks, captain of his country and voted 2021 World Player of the Year.

So when he switched to the sevens format it was a huge story and a decision that led to forensic analysis in France.

The 27-year-old decided to skip the Six Nations earlier this year to prioritise his nation's bid for seven-a-side gold glory on home soil.

After an initially frosty response, that decision eventually further endeared Dupont to the French public - and it has resulted in Les Bleus landing glory on the first full day of the Games.

France's biggest sports newspaper, L'Equipe, lauded him across Wednesday’s front pages, before an idolising Stade de France crowd regularly chanted his name when the tournament began.

In the build-up to the gold medal match, you could spot fans wearing Dupont masks as they milled about outside the stadium.

Every time his face appeared on the big screen inside, when the players strode out and prepared during the warm-up, the level of noise went up a notch to ear-splitting levels.

When Dupont darted out at the start of the second half, expectation rose.

Then he showed why he is one of the greats. Like all generational talents, he delivered on the biggest stage.

He came on, took the game by the scruff of the neck, and delivered the gold medal which France craved.

Afterwards, Dupont was asked how he coped with being hailed by some as the best player of all time after adding sevens glory to his 15s success.

"It is always a pleasure to hear words like that - but honestly I don't spend a lot of time thinking about that," he said.

"I am still young and have a lot of work still to do."

Edited by PTINS
double text.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The GB/Australia match is pretty fucking good. I love watching this stuff. I played in my last 7's tounament in 2001, and I was lucky enough to play with some women that had made the Women's Eagles, but those women, as good as they were, hold nothing to the ladies we are seeing today. Glad to see this in the Olympics.

23 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

New to this but how are these matches 20 minutes start to finish?  Went to take a shit and damn near missed the whole thing 

You need to add a lot more broccoli to your diet. Drink a lot more water, and if you’re at home, get a bidet.

20 minutes is way to long for a healthy person to spend in the bathroom. 

Make the adjustments for your sake and for rugby’s sake. 

Just turned on the TV, but on MUTE so as not to wake a sleeper. 
What’s with the pause in the the Women’s v match?

A severe injury to a Brazilian player. I was out of the room when it happened and they didn’t replay it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

A severe injury to a Brazilian player. I was out of the room when it happened and they didn’t replay it.

I didn't see what caused it but she was obviously out and not moving at the bottom of the pile after being tackled

Posted (edited)

Ignoring the team name next to there score, I saw the Green/Yellow uniforms and kept thinking that we were playing Australia.

Oops

Some of our women have been studying Big Derrick Henry’s stiff arm technique.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

You could play 3 games in 2 hours, so it could probably work with a 6 or 12 team league.

12 teams you could have an 11 game season and then take the top 4 for the playoffs.

Because of the format, I think you could do something like regions and make it an event tournament, in a big city each week.  Sort of a barnstorming idea.  Texas for example could have a it's own region of say Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, and add maybe Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Denver, KC.  8 team tournaments in each city for regular season, with qualification for a national tournament among other regions.  If you could make it a big weekend in each town, especially post football season, I think there is interest for something like that.  

The downside is that it would be hard to build a hometown audience with that sort of schedule, but making it a big event in each city seems, at least to me, a great way to increase the sports exposure.