NCAA Full Scholarship Numbers

Sucks for smaller/less lucrative athletic departments/schools. Blue bloods in football are about to clean up in recruiting/the portal even more now.

Good thing we're Texas fans.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Walk-ons just not gonna be a thing anymore?

Not at most P4 programs. I'm sure they still will be in lower divisions/at the poors.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Walk-ons just not gonna be a thing anymore?

The top brands are going to get stronger and push out all others. This is bad for collegiate football in my opinion and is one of the bigger hits that will alter college football dramatically. not a fan of it  

• Hook 'Em 2

Major impact on baseball too. No more partials and many more fulls to give. The rich are going to get richer, and the smaller schools are going to field teams that won't be able to beat top high school teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d say good for college baseball. The SEC and some of the ACC are basically functioning as AAAA right now. Might as well put everybody on a full scholarship. 

Minor league baseball won’t go away, but it’s a serious blow to rookie ball and low A teams. It’s going to get tougher for MLB team to sign players out of high school. Why ride the bus when you can be on full scholarship + NIL for 3 years? 

I hope ESPN gets very serious about growing the sport of college baseball. They own the exclusive rights to the 2 premier leagues, and their MLB inventory isn’t where they’d like it be. 

Good for volleyball too. It’s the number 2 or 3 women’s sport. Most of the team should be full scholarship. 

I need to think about football. I’d speculate that nobody outside of the SEC + Big Ten + SMU will use the full 105. They probably can’t afford 20 additional football scholarships + 20 women’s scholarships. Anybody have a median figure on 40 additional scholarships? 

11 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

The top brands are going to get stronger and push out all others. This is bad for collegiate football in my opinion and is one of the bigger hits that will alter college football dramatically. not a fan of it  

I think the bigger impact will be on sports other than football and basketball.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So now the "walk-ons" will get full scholarships is a bad thing for him?? Don't understand the walk on take.

Because top tier schools aren't likely in my estimation to suddenly put their walkons on scholarship because of the rule change. There may be some guys that happens for but they'll be the exception. I think they'll work the portal even more and there will be even more roster churn than the past couple seasons because the guys not getting to play at top tier teams will be pursued by  the next tier of programs and so on. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So now the "walk-ons" will get full scholarships is a bad thing for him?? Don't understand the walk on take.

I don’t think that’s how it will work at all. Walk ons will be replaced by more talented recruits who don’t have to get in on their own academic merits.