USMNT Olympic Soccer (U23)

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And don't forget what they did when Nixon took us off the gold standard!

La vengeance est à nous!

I forgot. Started acting all snooty and their women stopped shaving their pits and mustaches.

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dear France, thanks for Lafayette and his boys, hot chicks (including Lady Liberty) but we bailed your asses out in two world wars. Please let us have this one.

"Please let us have this one"?

We're going to take this from them and then take their girlfriends after the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Man the possession is sloppy in U23

A little bit of an equalizer for the US, the French aren't the perfect dangerous force we saw in the World Cup and Euros.

Though also can be a detriment as we just saw on giving up that corner.

Edited by Captain Ron

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

That shot ended up going wide, but what was Schulte doing? He drifted right and opened up the left side wide open. If that was inside the post, I don't think it's saved.

I saw that too. Looked like he didn't get a good look at it at first or something.

I think we've got a chance to earn a point here. French attack doesn't look all that scary.

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

That shot ended up going wide, but what was Schulte doing? He drifted right and opened up the left side wide open. If that was inside the post, I don't think it's saved.

He also flubbed the one right before that out of bounds. Should never have been a corner. 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He also flubbed the one right before that out of bounds. Should never have been a corner. 

If he wasn't a U23 player I agree, but the U23 part - I'm willing to give him a pass on it given he had to still play the two attackers in the middle.

19 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I saw that too. Looked like he didn't get a good look at it at first or something.

I think we've got a chance to earn a point here. French attack doesn't look all that scary.

The French attack is good, I think our defense is up to the task. They are marking really well and holding their lines (and then let a guy get in past them). We need to stay on the attack, keep them honest and not let them get comfortable on our end of the field.

I would really like us to get the opening goal too.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Embarassing second half. This team isn't doing anything if we can't get better keeper play.

I give him a pass on SOME of those because he is a U23, but he can't have that many. He was off center so often and never came out enough to cut down angles (looking at those first 2 goals). Combined with what he did in the first half, I want to see someone else between the pipes next go around.

2 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Should be two easy wins coming up.

Uhhhhh...

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Man the possession is sloppy in U23

This. Because it's so sloppy, if you make a mistake deep, you can pay the price badly. And while that can play in our favor, nothing is guaranteed. We need to play well and smart to win our games.

20 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I give him a pass on SOME of those because he is a U23, but he can't have that many. He was off center so often and never came out enough to cut down angles (looking at those first 2 goals). Combined with what he did in the first half, I want to see someone else between the pipes next go around.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gaga. I don't think Schulte is incapable of playing better but he looked bad. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

So is there a U23 Olympic champion and a regular Olympic champion for soccer? Seems dumb.

No - the tournament is U23 rosters but you get 3 exceptions for "overage" players. 

I put U23 in parenthesis in case anyone is confused if this is our senior - or "A" - team or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1