USWNT Olympic Soccer 2024

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

This has been a very impressive showing from the ladies today. Best match I've seen them play in a minute.

Hmmm, so hiring a top-shelf coach has a beneficial effect. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

sorry ted this is not directed at you

responding to the analyst comment:

no, for so long the united states has relied on players past their full international prime picking the roster and choosing themselves

Edited by Hagbard Celine
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

no, for so long the united states has relied on players past their full international prime picking the roster and choosing themselves

Megan_Rapinoe_(48675274817)_(cropped).jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Rodman is fucking dominant.  She was good in WC, but not nearly as impactful as she has been in these two games.  Seems like she is being given much more space to work. Perhaps having Swanson at the 9 is opening it up, but I am guessing there is a tactical explanation as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Had to get rid of the dead weight, which was a shitty coach and old players who sucked who just stayed on to attention whore for the spotlight (cough Rapinoe cough cough. 

Can't bitch about the pay if you are no longer getting paid.

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

Didn't they get docked six points?

That's nuts if they make it. 

Admitting my own stupidity, I know Canada got docked some point for their drone shenanigans. I'd really appreciate if someone wiser than me could explain what was docked and how that effects standings. Tell me like I'm a stupid child, because mostly I am on this specific issue.

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Admitting my own stupidity, I know Canada got docked some point for their drone shenanigans. I'd really appreciate if someone wiser than me could explain what was docked and how that effects standings. Tell me like I'm a stupid child, because mostly I am on this specific issue.

So in soccer group play, you get 3 points for a win and one point for a draw. There are four teams to a group, and each team in those groups plays three matches, which means one side from each group could achieve a theoretical maximum of 9 total points after group play (3 games x 3 points).

However, Canada was docked six points, which means they can, at best, finish with 3 points instead of 9. In most tournaments, that'd be a guaranteed miss.

But since there are only 12 teams in the Olympic event and eight of them get to advance to the knockouts, there will be two third-place teams moving on. That gives Canada a decent chance to advance if it wins all three of its games and finishes on 3 points since they'll almost certainly have the best goal differential of any third-place side.

• Like 1