Give a High School team to follow this year

OWLVIS

A nobody here,I would like recommendation from yall for a HS team to follow  this season,

Had a stroke 4 years ago  Shaggy was great,,I  know the people some of them that post here.

Yall know your football, and giving me a team to follow would engage my brain..part of the healing process to keep my brain active

please make a team that has the media to make it accessible  

A smaller maybe 4A  would be most intriguing 

Hook 'em

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

A nobody here,I would like recommendation from yall for a HS team to follow  this season,

Had a stroke 4 years ago  Shaggy was great,,I  know the people some of them that post here.

Yall know your football, and giving me a team to follow would engage my brain..part of the healing process to keep my brain active

Hook 'em

If you're in the Houston area, Galena Park North Shore is fun to follow. They're a powerhouse!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

Follow the loveble losers of Austin High. Their lopsided losses can’t help but make anyone feel better. 
Also my son plays for them and is a good kid. 

Loyal forever. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

Hook 'em

Where do you live? Approximately

You should start by picking up a copy of Texas Football and make your choice from there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Follow the loveble losers of Austin High. Their lopsided losses can’t help but make anyone feel better. 
Also my son plays for them and is a good kid. 

If it's losers that are intriguing, you can't do any better than my alma mater, Houston's G.C. Scarborough.  They're famous for going on years-long losing streaks.  On the other hand, their colors are burnt orange and white, and their fight song is Texas Fight, so they have that going for them, which is nice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

If you're in the Houston area, Galena Park North Shore is fun to follow. They're a powerhouse!

When you live in the Houston area, you'd better choose a team closer to the office or the side of town that's most accessible on Friday evenings after rush hour. North Shore is a great choice for an east-sider, though.

Posted (edited)

Westlake Chaps, with an unbelievable, seven-straight 6A state semi-final appearances and three state championships in the last 7 years.  Westlake's run is impressive considering their student population is 2,800 students vs the 4,000-5,000 student Dallas and Houston schools they face in the playoffs.*

*With 6900+ students, Allen HS probably emits its own gravity field.   

IMG-5880-B.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Nephews play for Dripping Springs Tigers so thats our team.  Should be decent with returning district mvp Jack Tyndall at RB

That dude is a freaking force of nature. He played hurt in their playoff loss, but still was pretty good. He can play at the next level in some capacity.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

That dude is a freaking force of nature. He played hurt in their playoff loss, but still was pretty good. He can play at the next level in some capacity.   

He and his brother are best friends with my nephew.  He's a bid dude in person, but not as big as the Westwood RB.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Westlake Chaps, with an unbelievable, seven-straight 6A state semi-final appearances and three state championships in the last 7 years.  Westlake's run is impressive considering their student population is 2,800 students vs the 4,000-5,000 student Dallas and Houston schools they face in the playoffs.*

who is westlake starting at qb next season?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

A team that supposed to return to its former self is the Mason Punchers. I always wanted to go to a gane at the Puncher Dome. They open up against Wall August 30th. 

image.png.59a500c92024129fb47f692b43baebaf.png

Played a game there in high school. One end of the field had some ant mounds. Extra motivation to stay on your feet in that red zone. 

Edited by squib
extra word

Eagle Mountain High School starts its first season this year. Limited enrollment to 4A Hired the Tolar coach that went to State last year. Recruited the best athletes from the other 3 schools in the district.

They will be competitive very quickly

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, futureman said:

who is westlake starting at qb next season?

Rees Wise. Junior. Very good junior QB who will play at the next level. Lost our great little RB who went to Army. Also replacing offensive coordinator. Will do well, not great. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Nephews play for Dripping Springs Tigers so thats our team.  Should be decent with returning district mvp Jack Tyndall at RB

my family had land there for generations, how's the school media output?

8 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Where do you live? Approximately

You should start by picking up a copy of Texas Football and make your choice from there.

Speaking of I can’t find a copy anywhere. Is it online only now? I’ve looked in like 25 stores.

OWVILS - my Dad works the Katy ISD press box, one of the two each Friday night. If you want to experience a great HS Friday night, just DM me and I’ll let him know that I know of you. You can sit in the press box and watch one of the KISD matchups, as a “media member” and you’ll get a great experience. He’s done this each Fall, and he’s into his 80’s and basically just doesn’t turn the lights off when the game is over. Dad is a retired coach/administrator of KISD.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Smaller schools, look at Columbus. Schobel family is building something there and about an hour West of H-Town, should make the local media/papers each Friday night and Saturday papers.

Hook’em!!!

That kid that has won three six man championships in a row at two different schools just transferred to Columbus. He’s committed to Airforce.  

10 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Westlake's run is impressive considering their student population is 2,800 students vs the 4,000-5,000 student Dallas and Houston schools they face in the playoffs.*

They face none of those schools....until the state semifinals.  They exist in what is perhaps the weakest football, perhaps even the weakest sports region in the state when it comes to 6A these days.     

That's not to say Westlake and what they have done is unimpressive, but let their record speak for itself without candying it up.

10 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

They face none of those schools....until the state semifinals.  They exist in what is perhaps the weakest football, perhaps even the weakest sports region in the state when it comes to 6A these days.     

That's not to say Westlake and what they have done is unimpressive, but let their record speak for itself without candying it up.

It is true that both Dallas and Houston have the majority of tough schools, and I also referenced the student body imbalances, like North Shore, who has amazing athletes, plus an insane 4500 students to choose from vs. our 2800. SIDE NOTE: I do greatly admire Northshore for their amazing success, as their students don't have the resources that Westlake offers their students.   

However, we have both Dripping Springs and Lake Travis in the same district. Those are two excellent programs and can hang with anyone in Texas. Westlake also traditionally schedules tough early games against top programs, like Katy, and Southlake. Plus during this time, Chaps have beaten Northshore, Katy (twice), Southlake Carrol (twice), Denton Guyer (twice) Steel (multiple times) Atascocita, Katy Thompkins, broke Allen's 57-game win streak in the state semifinal, and others, so I will stand by my claim that it has been an extraordinary run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Smaller schools, look at Columbus. Schobel family is building something there and about an hour West of H-Town, should make the local media/papers each Friday night and Saturday papers.

Hook’em!!!

Columbus had a great pickup in the transfer portal, gaining Air Force commit, Grayson Rigdon from Benjamin.  I say that a little bit in jest, as the goal is for the 3 time Six-Man POTY to gain exposue to the 11-man game.

Could not agree more on the small school piece, though.  2 of my schools are 2A, with Abernathy dropping in from 3A in the realignment and Windthorst making work in 2A-DII.

Regardless of the school the OP picks, it is starting to heat up on football talk and workouts.  This is the opposite of the old movie, WarGames-  the only losing move is not to choose a team!

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

Columbus had a great pickup in the transfer portal, gaining Air Force commit, Grayson Rigdon from Benjamin.  I say that a little bit in jest, as the goal is for the 3 time Six-Man POTY to gain exposue to the 11-man game.

Could not agree more on the small school piece, though.  2 of my schools are 2A, with Abernathy dropping in from 3A in the realignment and Windthorst making work in 2A-DII.

Regardless of the school the OP picks, it is starting to heat up on football talk and workouts.  This is the opposite of the old movie, WarGames-  the only losing move is not to choose a team!

I'd like to know how Rigdon bounced from Strawn to Benjamin to Columbus, of all places.

Watched some tape of both football and basketball. I was more impressed with his outside shot in hoops.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

I'd like to know how Rigdon bounced from Strawn to Benjamin to Columbus, of all places.

Watched some tape of both football and basketball. I was more impressed with his outside shot in hoops.

His dad is a coach and had jobs at all of them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

A good athlete will translate well into that classification, as most teams in 3-A and below usually have less than ten of those. Looking further into those rosters on average (3-A and below) each will have five or less players that go on to play collegiate football.

Hook’em!!!

14 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Silsbee Tigers or Tidehaven Tigers.

As someone who drives on 35 all the time and passes Tidehaven HS during that trip, where in the hell do the students come from?  There is nothing out there except farms.  I know Tidehaven is a small school but still.  There is a whole lot of nothing out that way.