Paris Olympics - Non-Sports Thread

Never understood the point of any argument about who is the greatest of all time. It comes across like people have too much time to fill on 24-hour sports channels or social media so they create opinionated material to create engagement. Who cares if an athlete in 2024 is better than one from 1960. I also assume that athletes in 2060 will make 2024 athletes look unathletic in comparison.

And in fairness to previous generations of olympic athletes, few of them could afford to return to the olympics. At some point they were tired of being poor since they were prevented from earning money on their athleticism.

Now if anyone calls themselves the GOAT, they better be prepared for karma and criticism IF they fail. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, YChang said:

Only Helobious can Helobious the way Helobious can. 

You can tell how manly he must be because he proudly denounces his disregard for a woman's athleticism while he's busy fawning over high school boys in tight white pants. Oh wait...

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I don't see it like that. I agree with him on this (GASP). Message board arguing if someone is a badass with how many medals now? And over how many pages?

Are you saying debates over greatness of an athlete on a message board lacks real value?!?!?!

How dare you!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Are you saying debates over greatness of an athlete on a message board lacks real value?!?!?!

How dare you!!!

I'm a sportscaster on ESPN FM and in 15 minutes I'll begin my segment on the 10 greatest NBA players of all time. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Imagine being a man and caring about who the greatest gymnast of all time is.

I'm fairly certain that I would struggle to correctly name 5 gymnasts.

NBC makes most Olympic athletes' stories the same: overcoming personal tragedy or injury to take home the gold to honor the memory of <feel in the name of a recently deceased family member.>

15 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

How dare you!!!

There's no fighting in the War Room and there's no debating sports opinions on the sports message boards!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There's no fighting in the War Room and there's no debating sports opinions on the sports message boards!

UNLESS.... the posters can discuss it with logic and an open mind and ultimately come to a well thought out and universal agreement as to the exact correct answers.

Which happens frequently on Surly because we are best posters since the creation of the internet!!!  (By Al Gore)

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

Oh, you mean like you must be racist if you don't like her - Because that is what started the conversation. 

I mean, it’s pretty much implicit in your posts. 

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

People hating on Simone have other issues.  Most of those issues are apparent, when you see where on the spectrum that hate comes from.  You are known by the company you keep.

This. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bevo said:

You sure have invested a lot in trying to get me to change my opinion. I get it - You love her. I don't. Not everyone has to agree. I'm fine with that.

Imagine how exhausting it is when the world hates you for your skin color and you are just trying to be the best human you can be. Then imagine you fall ill and the governor of your own state and posters on Surly come out with hateful statements. Now imagine some dude on Surly being all up in arms because you aren't the warmest towards people after the way that you have been treated through the years. A simple lack of compassion from you. She was 16 when this happened. Years of this shit but you expect her to be all smiles and hugs?

Biles1.thumb.png.42cf70fd182f02635946326f516ec20d.png

Biles2.thumb.png.22050912ed6f94ffde322e5502fc2150.png

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

https://www.kxan.com/2024-olympics/what-will-olympic-discus-champ-valarie-allman-do-to-celebrate-gold-go-all-out-on-barbecue/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Valarie Allman launched her fourth throw in the women’s discus competition nearly 70 meters to repeat as Olympic champion Monday at Stade de France.

Allman’s winning mark of 69.50 meters (about 228 feet) was two meters further than silver medalist Bin Feng of China, and this one felt a lot different for Allman than her win in Tokyo.

Allman lives in Austin, Texas, and trains with University of Texas at Austin throwing coach Zeb Sion. Allman is also a volunteer assistant coach with the Longhorns. When she gets back to the Texas capital, she said she’s going to celebrate in the most Texas way possible — eat a lot of barbecue at one of Central Texas’ most popular spots.

“I’m so excited to get back. I’m going to Terry Black’s to celebrate and eat a pound of brisket,” she said. “I can’t wait to go all out there.”

Terry Black’s posted a congratulations on its story in response and said, “We’re honored and can’t wait to celebrate with you! Let the party begin!”

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Colin Jost had to leave covering surfing in Tahiti 

Jost revealed that he was being treated for an ear infection. “I woke up to discover that I had added ear infection to my growing list of ailments,” he said, referring to the coral reef injury his foot sustained shortly after arrival, and the consequential staph infection he developed. “I’m now on three different medications... four, if you count piña coladas,” he continued. “And my new goal, by the time I leave here, is to have as many infections as there are Olympic events.”

I’m sure Scarlett can console him.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Colin Jost had to leave covering surfing in Tahiti 

I’m sure Scarlett can console him.

Flying long haul with an ear infection would be miserable.

Should he have run with COVID? And post race, he says he was in quarantine. Um dude, you are in a stadium talking to all the medical staff after, none in masks. Pre-Race, talking to people.

Oh well, Olympians can do what they want right?

Seems to me it's not endemic anymore and we have vaccines, but it was odd that the medical staff knew and (a) didn't respond immediately, and (b) weren't masked themselves when treating him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, &#x27;stache said:

Seems to me it's not endemic anymore and we have vaccines, but it was odd that the medical staff knew and (a) didn't respond immediately, and (b) weren't masked themselves when treating him. 

Maybe they were thinking about laying pipe later on and let their guard down.

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

Maybe they were thinking about laying pipe later on and let their guard down.

Why are you carrying that plumping equipment, we need a medic for this athlete.  There's nothing wrong with the pipes here!

Steel Shank in German accent, "Ja, zat's vie zey send me.  I'm expert."