Olympic Swimming

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think Hobson, had he had a better reaction time off the blocks, will compete. He had a great close.

He was slow off the blocks.

If Hobson can go out in 50.5 he has a shot. He’s a back half swimmer. Should be a great race!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Lane 6 from China is blowing this out!

Murphy with an ugly swim. Dang. 

It’s on the tv but I don’t have the volume on, did he storm out of the pool all mad?  Caught the replay and he’s out of the pool looking mad and everyone else was still in it.  

100 breast is my personal favorite event. It’s what I swam and was the stroke I coached for many years. I’ve got fucking goosebumps from that race. That is what the Olympics are all about. No one set any records. No one ran away with the race. It was a dogfight of sheer will and it was so damn beautiful. Congratulations to the men and coaches that worked inanely hard for that race to happen 

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I assume they are testing the shit out of the Chinese swimmers given the shit from Tokyo.

They fucking better be

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Is it wrong that I want the Aussies not to make it? Gemmell not having a good race. Sigh.

You are not wrong for feeling that way. We have always had a rivalry with Australia so in my mind they are on the same level as OU

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

All in on Weinstein.  Would be amazing for her to shock one or both of the Aussies.

This would be so awesome!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

All in on Weinstein.  Would be amazing for her to shock one or both of the Aussies.

What Lou said but in these games there is always weirdness regarding personal stuff that's okay.

My dad immigrated from Italy, so they are my #2 team in all things. I pull against China in all events. I lived in and speak German. So I mildly pull for them. I've worked for a lot of Japanese companies and actually respect their culture so pull for them. Etc etc.

Someone can tell me I'm wrong for whatever but I give zero fucks. It's fine to have weird preferences based on personal life experiences.

I love the global aspects and international rivalry stuff too. (Yes, I pull against France)

I have British and French ancestry, so usually France is my #2, and Britain my #3. I hate cheaters, thus the reason I have always pulled against Russia and China (both known for state doping programs). For Australia, one of my best friends is Australian, so I hear how awesome Australia is all the time. After the shit Cate Campbell said, and given that I have to hear all about Australia on the reg, I always root against Australia in swimming, rugby, and football.

• Haha 1

Exactly Penelope, that's one of the reasons I love the Olympics. I have diverse friends and we jab a bit here and there. 

I didn't mention pulling against Russians because they are playing! Which makes me very happy. Cheaters can eabod.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Hobson is such a bad starter. If he could clean that up he’d clear easily. 

Looking historically at longhorn men in the 200, I would say Eddie coaches it and has trained them that way. I don’t have data but have years of my eyeballs watching Eddie’s men swim this event. I do agree tho, Hobson definitely should get out faster in the first 25 meters

Good article from swimswam today:

https://swimswam.com/other-facts-to-consider-when-looking-at-slow-times-in-paris/

This Olympics is slow!!!!! Slowest men’s 100 breaststroke since 2004. Among many others. It’s been bothering me watching these swims as something just seems off. I can’t figure it out. But I’m reaching out to some coaching buddies to pick their brains.