Olympic Swimming

Walsh has a bright future. Her free technique still has some raw aspects. With some adjustments and some work on finishing, she could be a monster. Her front half speed is nuts.

I need to look up Huske's times but she's swimming way beyond what the "pros" put her down for in these olympics.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

At least we’re getting some Bowman hype during all this. Heard his name and being affiliated with us mentioned multiple times. Has to be huge for recruiting. Obviously he trains a ton of olympians. 

Bingo! All these Olympians train with the men's team pretty much simultaneously. It's a huge recruiting tool!

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Ledecky throwing down early in the 1500! .71 under WR pace at the 300

Way behind WR pace but  on pace to beat the Olympic record. I’ve heard this is a slow pool. Someone explain why this happens. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Way behind WR pace but  on pace to beat the Olympic record. I’ve heard this is a slow pool. Someone explain why this happens. 

Pool is partly filled with white Bordeaux wine. Athletes slowly get intoxicated as they swim.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Out of form Chinese swimmer comes in and breaks his own world record by a 1/2 second in a slow pool.  Color me skeptical.  

Yeah, this is all kinds of sus.  I almost expected the commentators to insinuate in this direction, but they resisted the urge.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Aren’t Chinese swimmers under scrutiny for doping?

Yes, last Olympics a lot of their swimmers popped positive like in the 60 days before the games but were still able to compete and it didn’t come out till after or right before I think.

Edited by Hook1997

8 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Leon went for a dip a week before the games

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

2.2M deep..Wemby can comfortably stand in it. All 7’4” of Wemby should be well underwater. It’s usually at/close to 3M deep for the Olympics.

“To go deeper, they would have had to do significant modifications [to

the arena], and structurally, there are some concerns,” said John Ireland, the chief technical officer at Myrtha Pools, the Italian company that designed the pool for the last five Olympics.

To understand why that matters, it’s important to remember that swimming isn’t just a dynamic exercise. It’s also an exercise in fluid dynamics. Every movement swimmers make with their hands and feet creates small waves that rebound off the bottom of the pool.

No movement has more potential for waves than swimmers’ initial dive into the water. The shallower the pool, the more those waves ricochet back to the swimmers on the surface, creating a more turbulent aquatic environment that isn’t conducive to top speeds.

In the future, pools as shallow as the one at these Games won’t be allowed. World Aquatics enacted a minimum depth of 2.5 meters for swimming and water polo in January 2023. When Paris had its bid accepted for the Olympics in 2017 and the swimming facility was approved, regulations allowed for a pool of 2.2 meters.

https://www.wsj.com/sports/olympics/paris-olympic-pool-marchand-titmus-la-defense-arena-b073d7b2?st=9fw7hxlsziokwe3&reflink=article_copyURL_share

Edited by UTexasFight

https://www.wsj.com/sports/olympics/leon-marchand-swimming-bob-bowman-paris-olympics-michael-phelps-831aaddb?st=x90jsmx3npb1k29&reflink=article_copyURL_share

A little more than a day after he guided Arizona State’s men’s team to its first NCAA title, Bowman shockingly announced in April that he was leaving to take over the program at the University of Texas. Unbeknown to his Sun Devil squad, the move had been in the works for some five weeks, Bowman said.

Defecting to Texas caused another uproar. Team officials tried to revoke Bowman’s access to the university aquatic center and many of his swimmers felt betrayed and frustrated by the timing. Three months before the start of the Olympics is a time when swimmers are putting the finishing touches to their training, not uprooting their lives to follow their coach to a new facility.

Bowman understood this, but saw the opportunity as too good to pass up. So did Marchand, who dutifully left Tempe to follow his coach to Texas.

That faith has paid off spectacularly. For most of these Olympics, the biggest threat to Marchand’s ambitions has been his own self-doubt. Before his bid for double gold on Wednesday, however, Bowman found some words of inspiration that carried weight in any language.

“I had a lot of doubts, because people kept saying it was impossible,” Marchand said on Wednesday. “But after the 400 IM, Bob said, ‘Come on, let’s do it.’”

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

was he relentless? 

Alas, no. He finished 4th I believe.

On another note, I like Marchand a lot. He is a great swimmer, and he is still young.

Perhaps USA Swimming not having as great of a meet here is what motivates them for the next 4 years. Personally, I'd love to see Ledecky, if she co tiniest to dominate, stay around in the 800 and 1t0p for LA in 2028.

It's insane to me that he got double gold in Fly and Breast, much less on the same day.  When I was swimming growing up, I don't think I can recall someone that excelled at a high level in both.  I can't remember that ever happening on the world/Olympic level.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Alas, no. He finished 4th I believe.

On another note, I like Marchand a lot. He is a great swimmer, and he is still young.

Perhaps USA Swimming not having as great of a meet here is what motivates them for the next 4 years. Personally, I'd love to see Ledecky, if she co tiniest to dominate, stay around in the 800 and 1t0p for LA in 2028.

MP is also a fan - fun to watch again.

• Hook 'Em 2