Olympic Swimming

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Damn how long did they say it was since we didn't have a medalist in this event?

7 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

32 years i think?

There's a good chance we don't win the men's medley relay. That would be the first time EVER that we've lost that race in an Olympics. 

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Why is the Free the only stroke they race at 50? I would love to see all the strokes just have a crazy fast race like this one.

Dissenting opinion: it is stupid to have all these multiple "stroke" events.

Take track and field, for example. Ignoring the bullshit race-walk, the key is to get from A to B the fastest. That's it. If you wanna hop, skip or jump your way while everyone else is running, best of luck.

Same with swimming. Just get from A to B the fastest. That means freestyle. All these other disciplines are just outdated bloat for medal count. It's idiotic.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

"we've given Rowdy a sedative and are moving on"

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The US and Australia, at this moment, have the same number of gold medals.

they'll move back ahead of us after they win the 4X200 free relay in a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

They are good at swimming since in the pool is the only place to escape from all the shitty snakes and spiders they have down under.

And fast thanks to crocs.

Still have no answers for the stingrays though.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Unless the ninth-placed swimmer filed a protest within 30 minutes after the results were posted the result will stand. 

It does look very vaguely like a part of the swimmer's leg broke the surface either right at or just before crossing the 15 meter mark. If so then she's legal.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Unless the ninth-placed swimmer filed a protest within 30 minutes after the results were posted the result will stand. 

It does look very vaguely like a part of the swimmer's leg broke the surface either right at or just before crossing the 15 meter mark. If so then she's legal.

The head has to be up BEFORE the 15 meter mark. that should be a DQ.

There shouldn't even be a need for a protest - they have already DQ'd swimmers (British in fact) for this in this Olympics.

Swimswam said she got lucky and should have been DQ's:

https://swimswam.com/honey-osrin-avoids-dq-makes-200-back-olympic-final-after-clearly-passing-15m-underwater/

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The head has to be up BEFORE the 15 meter mark. that should be a DQ.

There shouldn't even be a need for a protest - they have already DQ'd swimmers for this in this Olympics.

yeah i see the rule is for the head not just any part of the body. thanks.

I don't know the rules for reviewing the race other than for the protest.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, The Dog said:

yeah i see the rule is for the head not just any part of the body. thanks.

I don't know the rules for reviewing the race other than for the protest.

Going back to the post from Randomhorn/PatForde, WTF are the 15 meter judges doing. As far as I know they had, 1 motherfucking job. Unless they are forced to mutli-task on some arbitrary bullshit, a protest shouldn't be needed and that's the main point.

Do your damn JOB!!

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I understand the intent of the 15m rule, but I kinda liked it at the 1988 Olympics when the swimmer caused the rule to be created in the first place by swimming so far underwater. Was genius.

David Berkoff and the Berkoff Blastoff. 

How daughter swam in this Olympics.

ETA there was a Japanese swimmer who also did this but not to the same extreme. He's the one who got the gold while Berkoff got silver.

Edited by The Dog

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

David Berkoff and the Berkoff Blastoff. 

How daughter swam in this Olympics.

ETA there was a Japanese swimmer who also did this but not to the same extreme. He's the one who got the gold while Berkoff got silver.

The Berkoff Blastoff is hilarious to watch. He's in Lane 4:

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Dissenting opinion: it is stupid to have all these multiple "stroke" events.

Take track and field, for example. Ignoring the bullshit race-walk, the key is to get from A to B the fastest. That's it. If you wanna hop, skip or jump your way while everyone else is running, best of luck.

Same with swimming. Just get from A to B the fastest. That means freestyle. All these other disciplines are just outdated bloat for medal count. It's idiotic.

Eh, all sports are different and cool and develop in their own way. They develop for the athletes competing, mostly, because that’s the ways the athletes challenge themselves. 

In your own example, why do we have a long jump and triple jump, when you can just get up a head of steam and launch your ass into a sandpit as far as you can? Do we really need four projectile throwing events, couldn’t we stick with OG javelin and discus? Should fencing be just one type of sword fight instead of foil, sabre epee? Why have the constrained Greco-Roman style of wrestling when we could just do freestyle. For that matter, why have different combat sports at all, the Greeks had pankration and we have MMA, so just do an ass-kicking contest. 

49 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Eh, all sports are different and cool and develop in their own way. They develop for the athletes competing, mostly, because that’s the ways the athletes challenge themselves. 

In your own example, why do we have a long jump and triple jump, when you can just get up a head of steam and launch your ass into a sandpit as far as you can? Do we really need four projectile throwing events, couldn’t we stick with OG javelin and discus? Should fencing be just one type of sword fight instead of foil, sabre epee? Why have the constrained Greco-Roman style of wrestling when we could just do freestyle. For that matter, why have different combat sports at all, the Greeks had pankration and we have MMA, so just do an ass-kicking contest. 

Yeah, this is the nature of sports. Polyurethane and Neoprene suits were banned in 2009 as they provided an unfair advantage to taller athletes, allegedly. 

I mean, they could open a new category of swimming that is "under water" 100 that demand no more than 3 breathes or something per 50. I'd watch that event for sure.

To further your point, think of cycling. BMX, road, free style, off road etc etc.

They are all very different and have different rules of bikes you can use and tracks. 

Events morph over time, compare football today to it's beginning. Sometimes things they do are stopped for any variety of reasons. Usually it's to maintain the essence of the game, to keep a level field or for safety reasons. (Safety is usually lowest on that totem pole sadly)

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

These are spurious arguments, imo. Since races are about point A to point B, and since the distances are the same (100 free, 100 back, 100 butterfly, 100 breast), a better analogy on the projectile-throwing events would be to use the same projectile but different styles of throwing (i.e., overhanded, underhanded, etc.) and then pointlessly split that into multiple events even though one method would emerge superior.

Consider the high jump. It's gone through several iterations of form, from the Eastern cut-off and Western roll to the straddle and, now, Fosbury flop. They could've split the event into each method, but instead, they allowed competitors to use whichever technique they wanted and let the results determine the medalists. Short-sighted on their part, I suppose, because just imagine the bloat they could've injected into the sport if it were four times longer.

24 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

These are spurious arguments, imo. Since races are about point A to point B, and since the distances are the same (100 free, 100 back, 100 butterfly, 100 breast), a better analogy on the projectile-throwing events would be to use the same projectile but different styles of throwing (i.e., overhanded, underhanded, etc.) and then pointlessly split that into multiple events even though one method would emerge superior.

Consider the high jump. It's gone through several iterations of form, from the Eastern cut-off and Western roll to the straddle and, now, Fosbury flop. They could've split the event into each method, but instead, they allowed competitors to use whichever technique they wanted and let the results determine the medalists. Short-sighted on their part, I suppose, because just imagine the bloat they could've injected into the sport if it were four times longer.

I mean, you’ve cherry picked two examples here that you have more familiarity with which is kind of my point that sports are different and the athletes decide what and how to measure.  From the outside every sport can be made “better” by people who don’t do it seriously and weren’t part of developing it. 

I can for sure see arguments that freestyle wrestling with leg holds is really a “better” contest than the Greco-Roman style where you can’t hold below the waist; I can also see how that handicap makes Greco-Roman a differently challenging discipline even if you can get people highly capable and elite in both. The fact is that wrestlers and the people who really like wrestling want to have both remain different disciplines and that’s cool.

I promise you FINA did make the strokes with a goal to make more medals.  There’s actually a fairly good analogy with wrestling in that some of the strokes diverged when different cultures with different ways of doing it came into contact with each other and the athletes found it more interesting to try their skills at both styles than just go with the one that prevailed. Like how freestyle wrestling developed from the Anglo-American catch style as opposed to the continental and Mediterranean style. 

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I mean, you’ve cherry picked two examples here that you have more familiarity with which is kind of my point that sports are different and the athletes decide what and how to measure.  From the outside every sport can be made “better” by people who don’t do it seriously and weren’t part of developing it. 

They weren't cherry picked; you mentioned the jumps and projectiles. I merely tried to make your analogy honest and, in doing so, demonstrate the hole in your counter-argument. 

It's cool, my man. We don't have to agree. One thing is for certain: the IOC is on your side and will never reduce the swimming events to a single competition for each distance. If anything, the committee will continue to add more and more events and medals, regardless of what a couch potato like me thinks of them. It's why the most-decorated Olympic swimmer of all time, Michael Phelps, has 28 medals and his track counterpart, Allyson Felix, has 11.

If only she'd had the 400-meter skip, or the 200-meter carioca!

Phelps’ accomplishments say more about Phelps than anything else and there’s a reason he stands alone.  Just the distances are insane, in 2008 in Beijing he got world records at the 100, 200, and 400 m distances.  The unanimous pre-Phelps GOAT, Mark Spitz, won his gold medals at the 100-200 meter distances, which is normal and human. Even at the high school level you will almost never find someone able to win across the range Phelps did, because almost no one has the physical or training capacity to do what are very different athletic feats in terms of strength, explosiveness, technique, and endurance. You might switch over a career but never for a single season. 

I do wish track would allow a format where people could try and do the 200, 400, 800, plus relays and maybe a jump or the hurdles, you’d get people like Carl Lewis maybe once in 100 years who could do that, too. 

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Aussies get two more gold.

It's their pool we’re just swimming in it.

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Hopefully the US is able to turn things around in 2028

US is still WAY ahead in total medals.  And in a swim meet, to get the win, you want as many people to finish as high as possible.

If there was a championship for overall team, US would be winning, and it would not be close.