Olympic Swimming

32 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You're not the only one. There has been a lot of concerns regarding WADA from folks that are in a place to know things.

I'm confident the carpet will be pulled and the roaches will be discovered regarding China and it's cheating ways.

28 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Wait, WADA will defer to the testing results of a nation?  Isn't that undercutting the whole point of having a "world" anti doping agency?

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

The USA and Australia have been beating this drum. the USA was told to drop it or the Winter Olympics in SLC in 2034 would be in jeopardy. Such bullshit.

• Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, BillyGoatHill said:

OK.... off topic question ...

Watching the medals presentations, what do you suppose is in the boxes that the athletes are given along with their medal?

It's the official Olympic poster.  You put it on your wall next to Farrah or David Hasselhoff.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The USA and Australia have been beating this drum. the USA was told to drop it or the Winter Olympics in SLC in 2034 would be in jeopardy. Such bullshit.

IOC full of corrupt assholes that only care about their blatant payoffs.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

6 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

OK.... off topic question ...

Watching the medals presentations, what do you suppose is in the boxes that the athletes are given along with their medal?

It is a poster, the official one of the Paris Olympics. It is pretty cool. They also get a Louis Vuitton medal case.

• Like 3

The PRC keeps having dozens of athletes pop hot for banned substances and each time it’s because of “contaminated food” in a hotel or McDonalds or whatever.  Then a ChiCom lab confirms the theory. They are absolutely doped to the gills and it’s part of a systematic state-sponsored program of the sort that basically every authoritarian Communist nation runs. It’s a total joke and the WADA’s statements are likely drafted in Beijing. If you follow the language used by the CCP across the board, it’s unmistakeable. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The PRC keeps having dozens of athletes pop hot for banned substances and each time it’s because of “contaminated food” in a hotel or McDonalds or whatever.  Then a ChiCom lab confirms the theory. They are absolutely doped to the gills and it’s part of a systematic state-sponsored program of the sort that basically every authoritarian Communist nation runs. It’s a total joke and the WADA’s statements are likely drafted in Beijing. If you follow the language used by the CCP across the board, it’s unmistakeable. 

Their two swimming gold medals definitely have massive asterix marks beside them. Especially that medly relay gold. Just bullshit that the IOC continues to let this happen (East Germany, USSR/Russia, and China all blatent cheaters in my lifetime).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Their two swimming gold medals definitely have massive asterix marks beside them. Especially that medly relay gold. Just bullshit that the IOC continues to let this happen (East Germany, USSR/Russia, and China all blatent cheaters in my lifetime).

International sports across the board are completely compromised and corrupt.  Nations like Russia, PRC, Qatar, Saudi, etc use sports washing as hosts and competitors to project the image they want as hosts and as competitors.  It’s unreal that we keep debating this over decades. I mean, the Russians hacked into labs to change doping results, and the PRC just says “trust us.” 

Despite the fact that the U.S. is quite jingoistic about medals, we are actually playing from behind in a lot of ways.  We do not have a ministry of sport and all of our governing bodies are independent and survive on dues and sponsorships.  While there can be doping by individual athletes or even in programs, it’s impossible to run a state-sponsored scheme and coverup like the commies have done and will always done. 

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

International sports across the board are completely compromised and corrupt.  Nations like Russia, PRC, Qatar, Saudi, etc use sports washing as hosts and competitors to project the image they want as hosts and as competitors.  It’s unreal that we keep debating this over decades. I mean, the Russians hacked into labs to change doping results, and the PRC just says “trust us.” 

Despite the fact that the U.S. is quite jingoistic about medals, we are actually playing from behind in a lot of ways.  We do not have a ministry of sport and all of our governing bodies are independent and survive on dues and sponsorships.  While there can be doping by individual athletes or even in programs, it’s impossible to run a state-sponsored scheme and coverup like the commies have done and will always done. 

You forgot to add our governing bodies are also totally inept and 100% cronyism

So correct me if I'm wrong, but Chinese swimmers who had been busted for doping are allowed to compete in the Olympics because a Chinese investigation cleared them of wrongdoing?  

I'm sure that investigation was completely thorough and unbiased.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40724995/china-hands-us-first-ever-loss-men-4x100m-medley-relay

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

I’d be hard pressed to name any organization that doesn’t have at least some level of corruption. That’s just the way the world works these days. 

Well, but there are levels and types of corruption going on, and the level of corruption possible in authoritarian states is very different than what’s possible in open societies.

It’s not that USA Swimming (which Lord knows has had some awful issues) is full of more moral and righteous people, it’s that in open societies there are overlapping circles of accountability and responsibility. 

USA Swimming needs parents to put their kids in pools and does not want to become known as a place where you dope or have no chance of winning.  There is a free press in the U.S. that will always be interested in blowing open a scandal. 

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is a non-profit and if it finds itself embroiled in a scandal it will be replaced. Disputes are settled by independent arbitrators that make their living by neutrally adjudicating the facts of a case.  

Above all that is the rule of law that will enforce criminal sanctions for illegal drugs, corrupt conduct, and mistreatment of athletes. None of the organizations or individuals are within state structures. 

The end result is again— a situation where people can and do try to cheat the systems, and where people within them can be bought or corrupted— but sustained, systemic,  long-term cheating and corruption will be outed and consequences enforced. 

In the PRC, none of these entities exist outside the control of the CCP and they ultimately exist for the benefit and aims of the CCP.  The CCP cares mostly about winning medals and has become content with the barest fig leaf of integrity and fair play to hide behind, just like the USSR, or East Germany, and later Russia. Absolutely none of the external brakes and checks and balances exist— there are no independent organizations, there is no free press, there is no rule of law, and the party will put you in a swimming program if it wants to. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Well, but there are levels and types of corruption going on, and the level of corruption possible in authoritarian states is very different than what’s possible in open societies.

It’s not that USA Swimming (which Lord knows has had some awful issues) is full of more moral and righteous people, it’s that in open societies there are overlapping circles of accountability and responsibility. 

USA Swimming needs parents to put their kids in pools and does not want to become known as a place where you dope or have no chance of winning.  There is a free press in the U.S. that will always be interested in blowing open a scandal. 

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is a non-profit and if it finds itself embroiled in a scandal it will be replaced. Disputes are settled by independent arbitrators that make their living by neutrally adjudicating the facts of a case.  

Above all that is the rule of law that will enforce criminal sanctions for illegal drugs, corrupt conduct, and mistreatment of athletes. None of the organizations or individuals are within state structures. 

The end result is again— a situation where people can and do try to cheat the systems, and where people within them can be bought or corrupted— but sustained, systemic,  long-term cheating and corruption will be outed and consequences enforced. 

In the PRC, none of these entities exist outside the control of the CCP and they ultimately exist for the benefit and aims of the CCP.  The CCP cares mostly about winning medals and has become content with the barest fig leaf of integrity and fair play to hide behind, just like the USSR, or East Germany, and later Russia. Absolutely none of the external brakes and checks and balances exist— there are no independent organizations, there is no free press, there is no rule of law, and the party will put you in a swimming program if it wants to. 

Our doping is privatized 

Imagine Chinada busting the Chinese dopers like Usada busted Lance.  

The 100m freestyle final was the most obviously doped race since that Irish bitch in Atlanta.

Everyone in the sport knows Pan is doped and no one is even pretending that his results are legit.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

I've watched Finke’s race three times now. It was fucking epic. I think that he found something that he didn't know he had. 

This may not be the last WR he breaks.

The ladies fucking CRUSHED that relay. As great as the other three are I think that Lilly is going to be very hard to replace.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I would love to see how much money China “donates” to the IOC. If there was a Mt Rushmore for corruption, they (IOC) would be among the first to get a spot.

it would probably be IOC, FIFA, UN, WHO on the mount rushmore.

Edit: UCI is honorable mention

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

men lost the 4x100 on the breaststroke leg IMO.  fucking dopers...

Yup. Dude swam 1.5 seconds faster than his final time. You should be faster with a rolling start but not that fast.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Yup. Dude swam 1.5 seconds faster than his final time. You should be faster with a rolling start but not that fast.

Meh... this years 100 Breaststroke Final was slow.  The guy has gone under 58 from a flat start many times. 

On 7/27/2024 at 12:31 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Has Luana Alonso, the 20 year old Paraguayan swimmer that attends SMU been discussed?

GTcmjNlXkAAeZBJ?format=jpg&name=medium
GTcmn2PWMAA1ccQ?format=jpg&name=medium
GTcm2KaWUAAsdxM?format=jpg&name=large

Naughty girl being naughty.

Paraguayan swimmer Luana Alonso might’ve had too much fun during the Paris Olympics.

The 20-year-old Alonso was asked to leave the Olympic Village for creating an inappropriate environment, which was reportedly tied to a trip to Disneyland that angered Paraguayan Olympic officials and wearing skimpy outfits instead of team clothing.

Alonso documented the visit to Disneyland Paris with photos on Instagram after she failed to advance out of her heat and into the women’s100m butterfly semifinals on July 27.

Alonso modeled a pair of Mickey Mouse ears in front of the castle at Disneyland Park in a few snapshots, while another featured two champagne flutes toasting at the park. The drinking age in France is 18.

https://nypost.com/2024/08/05/sports/why-swimmer-luana-alonso-got-kicked-out-of-olympic-village/

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 2:13 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s just complete garbage and the best part is also using some state-backed “Sinophobia” statements when you say that their medals should be taken away and that they never should have competed in the first place.

I think China has an amazing history and is very culturally rich and interesting. I have always found Chinese people here to be really polite, second only to Japanese and Koreans I cross paths with. I still want these medals taken away and given to the rightful winners. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

It’s just complete garbage and the best part is also using some state-backed “Sinophobia” statements when you say that their medals should be taken away and that they never should have competed in the first place.

I think China has an amazing history and is very culturally rich and interesting. I have always found Chinese people here to be really polite, second only to Japanese and Koreans I cross paths with. I still want these medals taken away and given to the rightful winners. 

Fucking commie.

agitator GIF

Posted (edited)

Take six minutes and watch one of (if not the GOAT) best announcers for swimming.

Gold Medalist, world champion, former world record holder Rowdy Gaines. What he did in the pool, he brings to the booth. 

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not just swimming for Rowdy. here is a video of him at home during the Kick Six from Auburn/ Alabama ten years ago.  I think I remember posting it on the old website and commenting that sprinters live on their nerves for life. As an fyi he went to Auburn which explains his reaction.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2