Austin - Best Area to Stay

Brew

My oldest is at UGA and my youngest is all into F1 now, so we’re going to head to Austin for the game/race weekend plus a few extra days with a few of their friends. Where is the best place to stay that has some walkable places to eat and hang out? Looking at rentals we have looked at rentals in the downtown area on both sides of 35 and then also out by Lake Travis for something different. It’s been years since I have spent any time in Austin, so before I commit to an overpriced rental I thought I would see if there was some other area we were missing.

There are still room nights available that weekend?  That's nuts.

Walkable areas with places to eat and hang out are 1) downtown itself (southern end, you're looking at hotel rooms), 2) SOCO area (gonna be expensive as hell), 3) the Domain (again, hotels only, and not close to any of the "action" in town, but probably more affordable and available), and 4) the near east side (like along 1st or 6th E of 35....but will be expensive and crowded). Those are initial thoughts.  But I'd grab whatever you can at this point, that's a crazy weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

AirBnB/VRBO rentals, not looking for hotels so neighborhood areas are fine. There is still plenty of availability at a significant cost. Want to make sure I don’t end up in some random ass area at a stupid cost.

Edited by Brew

Walkable? Downtown, near east side close to 6th street, south congress area and adjacent streets between oltorf and riverside. Walkability requirements significantly limit your search criteria. If you have a car or don't mind a short uber, that opens things up to anywhere north of 71 up to around Hyde Park area between MoPac and 183 east, but there are still some "not nice" spots on the east side west of 183. 

Also, if you can afford an airbnb that weekend, I think you owe it to sponsor a happy hour before the Georgia game for the entire board. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Brew said:

AirBnB/VRBO rentals, not looking for hotels so neighborhood areas are fine. There is still plenty of availability at a significant cost. Want to make sure I don’t end up in some random ass area at a stupid cost.

Most places where there are houses for airbnb....are not as "walkable" for dining and nightlife.  SOCO is probably the best bet in that respect, maybe some of the near east side as well.  Burnet between 45th and 183 may kinda give you that, with some longer walks.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I have a good friend who has an air b&b just off south Congress. Have no idea if she has availability but PM if you want and I'll give you her info. 

I gotta think every AirBnB owner has this particular weekend circled on the calendar 

20 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I gotta think every AirBnB owner has this particular weekend circled on the calendar 

You'd be surprised.  Some people don't pay attention for shit and get booked at super low rates.  Of course, then they just cancel on you because they realize how bad they fucked up.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Walkable? Downtown, near east side close to 6th street, south congress area and adjacent streets between oltorf and riverside. Walkability requirements significantly limit your search criteria. If you have a car or don't mind a short uber, that opens things up to anywhere north of 71 up to around Hyde Park area between MoPac and 183 east, but there are still some "not nice" spots on the east side west of 183. 

Also, if you can afford an airbnb that weekend, I think you owe it to sponsor a happy hour before the Georgia game for the entire board. 

I can do without walkable and Uber as needed if it works better location wise. We will have at least one vehicle so we can make it work. Again, looking at maybe going with the Lake Travis area and driving everywhere also, but wanted to see what locations made sense a lot closer.

Cost is what it is. Daughter’s roommate has a close friend at UT so they are going either way, game/race cover both kids, fall break week for the youngest already, might meet a surly asshole, what more could you ask for. 

Edit to add, thanks to those with the serious replies. Looking at some of those areas now.

Edited by Brew

14 hours ago, Brew said:

I can do without walkable and Uber as needed if it works better location wise. We will have at least one vehicle so we can make it work. Again, looking at maybe going with the Lake Travis area and driving everywhere also, but wanted to see what locations made sense a lot closer.

Cost is what it is. Daughter’s roommate has a close friend at UT so they are going either way, game/race cover both kids, fall break week for the youngest already, might meet a surly asshole, what more could you ask for. 

Edit to add, thanks to those with the serious replies. Looking at some of those areas now.

Lake Travis is very fucking far from the things you'll be wanting to do while you're here. If you want to hang out at the lake all day, it will be good for you. But if you're planning on doing F1, going to the Georgia game, hitting up stuff in the city, you definitely do not want to be in Lake Travis. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brew said:

Check for hidden cameras in the room that your daughter and roommate will be staying in.

On 7/27/2024 at 12:29 PM, irishtexan said:

Lake Travis is very fucking far from the things you'll be wanting to do while you're here. If you want to hang out at the lake all day, it will be good for you. But if you're planning on doing F1, going to the Georgia game, hitting up stuff in the city, you definitely do not want to be in Lake Travis. 

100x this ^

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/27/2024 at 12:29 PM, irishtexan said:

Just tell her to beware of any house with a pineapple at the door. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 5:32 PM, Brew said:

VRBO within a mile radius of the stadium should work. There’s stuff to do in every neighborhood. I’m guessing you have some scratch, so I’d recommend North Campus. 

Ubers and are ride shares are a fucking nightmare after games. If you don’t have a driver, I’d strongly suggest a place you can walk back to. 

Unless you have my dad to drive you around, I’d strongly recommend not staying in LT. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

VRBO within a mile radius of the stadium should work. There’s stuff to do in every neighborhood. I’m guessing you have some scratch, so I’d recommend North Campus. 

Ubers and are ride shares are a fucking nightmare after games. If you don’t have a driver, I’d strongly suggest a place you can walk back to. 

Unless you have my dad to drive you around, I’d strongly recommend not staying in LT. 

Thanks. I think we’ve narrowed it down to the South Congress/South 1st area, but I’ll look around North Campus also. 

Thanks. I think we’ve narrowed it down to the South Congress/South 1st area, but I’ll look around North Campus also. 

The point about being close enough to walk home after the game is a good one. You’ll never get an Uber. Or a rental scooter. Walk.
I regularly park at my downtown office and walk to and from games. 30 mins or so each way, helps me work off all the unhealthy tailgate choices I make.

On 7/26/2024 at 10:17 PM, Brew said:

Lake Travis is far and there are variations on how far that is.  Lakeway by Lake Travis?  Sucks but doable.  Lago Vista by Lake Travis?  

Bubba J Lol GIF by Jeff Dunham

25 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The move is to walk over to Posse, Crown, or Hole in the Wall, have a few post-game drinks, and wait for shit to die down before you try to get a rideshare. 

Normally I’d agree, but not with F1 in town. 

Private driver or walking are the only moves. I’m not cracking my head on a scooter.