Can Anyone Identify This German Uniform?

Assuming he was Heer, and because his collar patches are bright from end to end, my guess is he was either a colonel or captain, which are quite far apart. If the shoulder straps were sharper, it'd be easy to determine which.

Here's a reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_German_Army_(1935–1945)#/media/File:Heer_Rank_Insig_from_War_Dept_Handbook.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, the pips on the shoulder boards are an easier, more reliable way to figure out rank.

Something is odd, though.  The peaked cap lacks the eagle at the top that was featured in one variant or another on Heer, Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine hats.  The lower part appears to be Heer.

Not Luftwaffe, no eagle above the right chest pocket.

Makes me think maybe a postwar uniform.

Edit to add, may be police of the non-gestapo variety.  Ordnungpolizei or Orpo.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Ordnungspolizei

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I had a friend ask if I knew - I don't.

Is the collar the unit identifier?  I am assuming the epaulets specify rank for this type of uni?

Luftwaffe?
image.thumb.jpeg.fbafef7a984f346932bfa69898ce50b8.jpeg

definitely appears to be a police uniform. Without the Imperial Eagle on the right breast it would be more SS, SA, police. And no SS collar or SA arm band so going with police.

• Like 1

It is also my suggestion that "signing the card for the boss" isn't automatically a Nazi identifier.

Joining the N.P. was for many simply a way to be one of the "regular kids" & I don't know when the camps became widespread info. Granted, Jews & Gypsies, etc. that were being rounded up & didn't return should been a tip off, obv.

"Hey, Hans... why are you the only one who didn't sign this for Adolf? You must not want a raise this year."

On 7/27/2024 at 8:28 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

definitely appears to be a police uniform. Without the Imperial Eagle on the right breast it would be more SS, SA, police. And no SS collar or SA arm band so going with police.

Is this a different person?

image.png.4a2211c14a51c54a407f53649691b46c.png

On 7/28/2024 at 10:48 AM, Bevo said:

Is this a different person?

image.png.4a2211c14a51c54a407f53649691b46c.png

That's my suggestion to her - the uniforms are very different & I don't see much resemblance in the face(s).

I think it's mostly a collection of German WWII militaria more than someone having a Hitler fetish.

I'm sorta disappointed we have come this far in the thread without anyone making a reference to aggy & the C-o-C or 'shopping in a Collie or putting Pyle Field un the background.

Maybe someone can work this into the pic?

aggy ring.jpg