Texas Women’s Basketball 2024-2025 - We SEC Ready

Pancho

As an extremely casual follower of women's basketball, who are the favorites in the conference?  Besides South Carolina.  I assume LSU will continue to be be tough under Kim Mulkey.  I know Tennessee hired a new coach and is trying to get back to being the Tennessee of old.  Who else is expected to challenge South Carolina?

19 minutes ago, ScottS said:

As an extremely casual follower of women's basketball, who are the favorites in the conference?  Besides South Carolina.  I assume LSU will continue to be be tough under Kim Mulkey.  I know Tennessee hired a new coach and is trying to get back to being the Tennessee of old.  Who else is expected to challenge South Carolina?

SC, Texas, LSU, OU will likely be the top 4 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, @ OU and @ aggy sucks, but we do host Tenn, LSU and SC

I see 13-3 or 12-4 there.  @ SC will be a loss, we will likely split @OU/aggy, and hard to see us winning both SC/LSU at home.  Maybe drop one elsewhere (@ Ole Miss or @ Georgia maybe)

Mulkey’s comin', hide your heart, girl
Mulkey’s comin', hide your heart, girl
Girl, Mulkey’s a-comin', you better hide
Girl, Mulkey’s  a-comin', you better hide
Girl, Mulkey’s a-comin', you better hide
Girl, Mulkey’s comin', hide your heart, girl (Hide it)
You better, better hide your heart
Mulkey’s comin', better walk!

• Hook 'Em 1

Feels like everything is setting up for next year to win a title. We have a shot this year but next year's roster could be insanely loaded. 

If there was ever a time to buy a recruit it would be now with Chavez. Harmon, Booker, and Chavez would be so sick together. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Feels like everything is setting up for next year to win a title. We have a shot this year but next year's roster could be insanely loaded. 

If there was ever a time to buy a recruit it would be now with Chavez. Harmon, Booker, and Chavez would be so sick together. 

Don’t sleep on Jordan Lee. She’s incredibly good.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 86txex said:

Don’t sleep on Jordan Lee. She’s incredibly good.

Definitely, but I see Lee as more of a PG mold similar to Rori. 

That's why I think Chavez is a perfect fit next year with this roster. She's more of a 2 guard/scorer. Add a scorer around 2 playmakers at PG (Rori) and SF (Booker) and it's a perfect fit. 

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely, but I see Lee as more of a PG mold similar to Rori. 

That's why I think Chavez is a perfect fit next year with this roster. She's more of a 2 guard/scorer. Add a scorer around 2 playmakers at PG (Rori) and SF (Booker) and it's a perfect fit. 

Jordan is more of a 2 or a 3 than a point guard. Maybe you're thinking of Bryanna Preston?  

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don’t have high hopes for Chavez. Tre Young’s dad is heavily involved $$ wise for OU. I think she will thrive in that wide open offense with no defense. 

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don’t have high hopes for Chavez. Tre Young’s dad is heavily involved $$ wise for OU. I think she will thrive in that wide open offense with no defense. 

Maybe but one of the big misconceptions with Chavez is she's only an offensive player.

She's a really good defender and averaged like 3 steals a game at the EYBL (against the best recruits in the country). I think she wants to play in an open offense but she's not the type to buy into "we don't play much defense in this system" type mentality. 

People see all the scoring clips but Chavez is the type to get in your face and bully you on the defensive end. I don't think the no defense angle will work with her at all. 

I think the big question with Chavez now is how much is she worth and what's the value in terms of ROI? 

We already have the #4 recruit (Crump) and are right in the mix for the #8 recruit (Knox). The #16 recruit (Davis) is also apparently really high on us. Do you go balls to the wall for Chavez or potentially add 3 top 15ish recruits at similar value? 

• Like 1