Texas Women’s Basketball 2024-2025 - We SEC Ready

Pancho

Blake

Women's Basketball:

- The nation's No. 1 recruit, Aaliyah Chavez, took her official visit to Texas this weekend. Chavez arrived on Friday, took in the game on Saturday and left on Sunday. I'm told that visit went really, really well. 

- One source I spoke with last night said that Texas is the leader for the elite guard out of Lubbock Monterrey after the visit.

- Coach Vic and his staff also hosted their lone commitment in this class for an unofficial visit this weekend. Aaliyah Crump, who is the nation's No. 5 overall player, spent time in Austin and hung out with Chavez.

- There's been some speculation on if these two would play together at the next level or not. I'm told they hit it off over the weekend and like that idea of playing together on the same team.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Vic has said it multiple times - he has a hard time getting teams to come here because they don't like to play against 40 minutes of hell. 

Assuming we will host our SEC-ACC challenge team next year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Really was hoping San Antonio would make a push. I’m not sure why they are hung up on Portland.

The PNW obsession by the NCAA Women's committee is ridiculous.  Central time zone gets shafted in favor of Spokane, Portland, Vegas, DC, Philly, Albany, Greensboro, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If we host some stank team like Clemson next year, I’m gonna be pissed

Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being Stanford. We already have Tenn in the regular season, now we can be force fed Stanford in next year's ACC-SEC challenge.

Personally hoping for bringing Nell Fortner back to UT and hosting Georgia Tech. 

Edited by Js1

Also our strongest non-conf games are away from home, and road/neutral wins have bigger impacts on NET and the committee’s mind. If Texas wins in South Bend, a neutral site vs Maryland and likely a neutral site with West Virginia, those look pretty good. Plus we have LSU, Bama, Tenn and SC at home 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2024 at 5:39 PM, Js1 said:

I just saw Tech was picked 10th in the Big 12 preseason poll

This the program you want, Chavez??

How much wampum is it going to take to keep her in Lubbock? She's too good to let get away from us, but I assume Tech or someone else will break the bank on her. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

How much wampum is it going to take to keep her in Lubbock? She's too good to let get away from us, but I assume Tech or someone else will break the bank on her. 

I don’t think anybody is outspending us in women’s basketball. That’s been pretty obvious the last 2 or 3 recruiting cycles. 

We already have the #4 recruit committed and might lead for two more top 10 recruits. It’s pretty obvious we have some big spenders on the women’s basketball side. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don’t think anybody is outspending us in women’s basketball. That’s been pretty obvious the last 2 or 3 recruiting cycles. 

We already have the #4 recruit committed and might lead for two more top 10 recruits. It’s pretty obvious we have some big spenders on the women’s basketball side. 

True, though I assume a HS unicorn from Lubbock is going to get offered unprecedented coin to stay home. The Matador Club/Double Eagle folks shelled out a ton for Canady, Toppin and presumably Hudson, so I can only imagine what they're willing to do for the next rumored Caitlin Clark. Hope her heart is firmly set on Austin regardless.

Texas picked second in the SEC, behind South Carolina.  No surprise

SCar (home and road)
Texas
LSU (home)
OU (road)
Ole Miss (road)
Bama (home)
Tenn (home)
UK (road)
Florida (home)
Vandy (home)
Miss St (road)
Auburn (road)
aggy (road)
Georgia (road)
Missouri (home)
Arky (home)

Booker one of the 3 preseason picks for SEC POY (three-way tie) and preseason First Team SEC.  Rori preseason Second Team SEC

Perfect split - 4 home and 4 road contests against both the top half and the bottom half of the conference

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

Preseason #4 in the AP Poll

1 South Carolina
2 UConn
3 USC
4 Texas

6 ND
7 LSU
10 OU
16 West Virginia (likely our championship game opponent in the Gulf Coast Showcase if seeding holds)
18 Maryland
19 Ole Miss
22 Kentucky
24 Alabama

Vanderbilt, Tennessee, South Dakota St. receiving votes

SEC is STACKED.  Texas plays 9 games against preseason ranked teams, possibly 10, with 3 more fringe top 25 teams

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Preseason #4 in the AP Poll

1 South Carolina
2 UConn
3 USC
4 Texas

6 ND
7 LSU
10 OU
16 West Virginia (likely our championship game opponent in the Gulf Coast Showcase if seeding holds)
18 Maryland
19 Ole Miss
22 Kentucky
24 Alabama

Vanderbilt, Tennessee, South Dakota St. receiving votes

SEC is STACKED.  Texas plays 9 games against preseason ranked teams, possibly 10, with 3 more fringe top 25 teams

If we ever had a team that can handle the schedule this is the one. Just wish we had more girls for the front line, keeping Taylor healthy will be key. Wonder if Abbie will get any minutes this year?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We only have 3 players taller than 6’2” on our roster. When Jones or Oldacre aren’t in the game, we’ll be running a small lineup 

Which is fine. I think a lot of people forget that Vic wants to press and run but injuries have really made people forget how Vic’s teams played. 

This is why I’ve never understood people who have tried to argue that Chavez isn’t a great fit under Vic. When Vic is running his system with a healthy roster it’s a very fun system to play under. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2024 at 3:59 PM, Js1 said:

For the love of God, STAY FUCKING HEALTHY

Found out lil bro is on the women's practice team. Apparently rule 1 is don't injure the players. Another interesting rule is they aren't allowed to jump.

Also - why the fuck are these threads still in "other sports"? Needs to be in basketball with the WNBA shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Found out lil bro is on the women's practice team. Apparently rule 1 is don't injure the players. Another interesting rule is they aren't allowed to jump.

Also - why the fuck are these threads still in "other sports"? Needs to be in basketball with the WNBA shit. 

Agreed. This should absolutely be in that thread. We're awesome and others need to get on it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Agreed. This should absolutely be in that thread. We're awesome and others need to get on it. 

I think Pancho made some stupid excuse the last time I mentioned it because I mentioned it before. 

@immamac is there a reason Texas women's hoops shouldn't be in basketball? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think Pancho made some stupid excuse the last time I mentioned it because I mentioned it before. 

I think it would be great to just get rid of this forum. It would get more visibility on the boards. Just have the volleyball, softball, etc thread in "other sports" main category. Womens basketball definitely should be in the basketball main forum

• Hook 'Em 4

Fairly lengthy article which summarizes Vic's trip to SEC Tipoff/Media Day.  (excerpt)

After Harmon finished speaking about Phelia, it was mentioned that Schaefer traveled to Ann Arbor last month for the Texas-Michigan football game. Schaefer explained that Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian called him a few days before UT's 31-12 win at Michigan Stadium and said he had a field pass and seat on the team plane available if Schaefer wanted to go.

"I was like a kid in a candy store," Schaefer said. "Went to meetings. I had a notepad with me the whole time. It was a great opportunity for me to really observe and watch him and his staff... just the preparation and everything that goes into that three-hour game is really quite amazing."

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/womens-basketball/2024/10/17/texas-womens-basketball-team-represented-at-sec-tipoff-event-vic-schaefer-rori-harmon-madison-booker/75693093007/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, torre said:

I love that CDC has fostered an work culture where the coaches support each other like that 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

No, I did not make a stupid excuse. What I said was I agree we should have women’s basketball in the main basketball forum but it wasn’t my decision. 

Sounds like we play USC in a scrimmage on Sunday in Fort Worth

The good: we got to the line 32 times

The bad: we only shot 18-32 from the FT line

The concerning: USC pressed a lot.  And it was not a good time for non-Harmon guards, but she didn't play most of the scrimmage

Vic praised Preston ("Rori on steroids") because she has the speed to match up with quick guards, which was an issue last year with Shaylee.  She pushed the ball well and he mentioned speed and athleticism and decision making. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like we play USC in a scrimmage on Sunday in Fort Worth

The good: we got to the line 32 times

The bad: we only shot 18-32 from the FT line

The concerning: USC pressed a lot.  And it was not a good time for non-Harmon guards, but she didn't play most of the scrimmage

Vic praised Preston ("Rori on steroids") because she has the speed to match up with quick guards, which was an issue last year with Shaylee.  She pushed the ball well and he mentioned speed and athleticism and decision making. 

As always, I appreciate the information and overview

21 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

In this game last year, Gaston went down with a 4 week long injury that I don't think she fully recovered from. If we can get out of this scrimmage injury free, that's a step in the right direction from last year

Furq me, forgot Gaston was an Auburn Tiger now. Still managed to be B12 6th player of the year last year. 

The round ball godz owe us an injury free year this year. We are due. This is our year.

• Hook 'Em 1