The 2024 Olympic Volleyball Thread

29 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'll be in Italy, so I'm 100% down for this after brunch

Man, if the men had won yesterday, it would have been back to back 6am CT matches for gold on a Saturday and Sunday

Tired Sleep GIF by Big Brother Australia

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Watching the replay of the women vs Brazil.  Did I hear correctly that the US doesn't coach jump serves at all?  

That is indeed what was said. The women aren’t allowed to jump serve so they bring in men to practice defending it 

Posted (edited)

They hit loads of jump floaters, but not heavy topspin. 

Maybe they just figured we didn't have any big topspin serving threats, so it'd be better to just focus on the float and keep the ball in more ... or maybe it's analytics telling them the float gets other teams out of system more. Who knows.  Personally, I always liked passing a good jumpserver's topspin more than trying to pass a good float serve, esp a jump float. More predictable ... but I'm also a big proponent of mixing things up as much as possible in the serving game, a la a pitcher changing speeds, spins, location, etc.

Edited by wood

Good news, they are going to break "gold" coverage of the Bronze mens game to get back to Break Dancing so you won't miss any important action in that sport.

Oh yeah, they broke away from the VB bronze just now and for half the US golf taekwondo match so I could get some Rhythmic Gymnastics and Chinese diving. 

Fantastic stuff.