The 2024 Olympic Volleyball Thread

17 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Ogbogu was a bench warmer last Olympics and now she’s a star player. Love to see it. Let’s finish off the Serbs 

Can't wait to see Madi playing with her sister and Chiaka and O'Neal in the middle.  Team USA needs the Slide Queen in 2028.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guess I don't understand the point system. How are our women "guaranteed" into the next round with this win? Is it just because everyone knows France is terrible? If we somehow managed to lose to them, and they beat us in straight sets, they'd get 3 points and be tied with us, wouldn't having the H2H win put them over us? Also, if China beats the Serbs there's a few scenarios where they could be tied with us (and have the H2H win) or outright ahead of us. We only have 1 point over China with an extra match under our belt. They could be up on us 5-3 after they play France, then wouldn't we also need 3 points against France? I don't see how this is guaranteed other than assuming we get 3 points against France...but assumptions aren't guarantees. Can somebody educate me? 

21 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Guess I don't understand the point system. How are our women "guaranteed" into the next round with this win? Is it just because everyone knows France is terrible? If we somehow managed to lose to them, and they beat us in straight sets, they'd get 3 points and be tied with us, wouldn't having the H2H win put them over us? Also, if China beats the Serbs there's a few scenarios where they could be tied with us (and have the H2H win) or outright ahead of us. We only have 1 point over China with an extra match under our belt. They could be up on us 5-3 after they play France, then wouldn't we also need 3 points against France? I don't see how this is guaranteed other than assuming we get 3 points against France...but assumptions aren't guarantees. Can somebody educate me? 

I do think Paul was making assumption we would beat France, because they are bad bad. 

If we lose to France, we didn't deserve to make the knockout stage.

Even then, China has the ability to add 6 more points (though that would likely drop Serbia behind us), and we only have the chance to add 3 more. Seems like the math could work out where China and Serbia could both finish ahead of us, especially if we don’t get all 3 from France. But let’s say us and China both get 3 from France. Then they’d only need 1 from Serbia to tie us in points

China winning over France - 3 points + 2 points from USA match.

We just want Serbia to win against China either 3-0 or 3-1.

If this happens (and USA takes care of business against France), USA will be 2nd in this pool.

Got that from Volley Talk

• Hook 'Em 1