The 2024 Olympic Volleyball Thread

On 7/31/2024 at 11:44 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

Boskovic a beast 

She's nothing short of amazing. Enjoyed watching her play, even though it was against the USA and we basically couldn't stop anything she did.

Posted (edited)

So ... when did playing defense stop being a thing in beach volleyball?  Esp on the men's side. JFC. Fucking pathetic. 

And Budinger/Evans, esp Evans, are fucking embarrassing. ESP pushed their shit in. What an ass-kicking.

Edited by wood

17 hours ago, wood said:

So ... when did playing defense stop being a thing in beach volleyball?  Esp on the men's side. JFC. Fucking pathetic. 

And Budinger/Evans, esp Evans, are fucking embarrassing. ESP pushed their shit in. What an ass-kicking.

Yeah I hate to bash a Gaucho, but Evans no business being an Olympian.  Not new news, but USA Volleyball (or whomever) needs to figure out the qualification process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Yeah I hate to bash a Gaucho, but Evans no business being an Olympian.  Not new news, but USA Volleyball (or whomever) needs to figure out the qualification process. 

Yep, the qualification process is the biggest problem - as in we don't have any control over who we send. The FIVB changed it years ago to where you have to travel the world for years, trying to rack up points on the FIVB beach tour. A country's two top ranked teams get in, if they have the minimum points needed to qualify. That was done in large part imho to prop up & give credibility to the FIVB tour, which at the time paled in comparison to the AVP. AND some fundamental rules were changed to favor the bigger players present on the FIVB tour (small court, rally scoring, etc, even the ball plays very differently than before). It's no coincidence imho that since then the AVP has been a shadow of its former self. All that international travel costs a lot of money and time. Unlike the way it was in the 90s, most beach players these days, even the pros, don't have tons of money laying around for that kind of thing, and most of them have real jobs. From what I can tell, the Taylors (Crabb & Sander) didn't even really try to qualify. IMHO that's our best team on the men's side. Or one of those guys + Phil if he were interested.

tl;dr: Fuck the FIVB. We should be able to pick our own representatives based on our own process.  We invented the sport ffs.

I suppose USAV could gain some measure of control by helping the top teams with expenses if they have the money (which they should). I have no idea if they do that or not.

Edited by wood

Oops.

In a stunning move, Team USA beach volleyball teammates Andy Benesh and Miles Partain have parted ways with coach Mike Placek in the midst of Paris Olympics.

At some point after the duo defeated Morocco 2-0 in preliminary Pool D play on Tuesday, and before their 2-1 win over Brazil on Thursday, a decision was made for Placek to step aside. Benesh and Partain defeated Brazil's George Wanderley and Andre Loyola 21-17, 14-21, 15-8 in afternoon play without Placek. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/03/usa-mens-beach-volleyball-coach-part-ways/74633241007/

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, MrX said:

Misty May provides zero insight on the broadcast. 

My broadcast is a loan British (I think?) woman handling all the commentary. I don't have the slightest fucking clue what she's talking about half the time, but it's entertaining.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

My broadcast is a loan British (I think?) woman handling all the commentary. I don't have the slightest fucking clue what she's talking about half the time, but it's entertaining.

This broadcast is of interest to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Brandie = got damn beast, and easy on the eyes as well. Been watching her for a long time on the AVP. She took that match over. Kloth's bad setting at the end didn't help USA either.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

God I love Paul Sunderland

"The most dramatic day in men's volleyball ever" 

Italy 3-2 in a reverse sweep
France 3-2 in a reverse sweep
Poland 3-1

USA faces Brazil and if they win, Poland

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The power in the men’s game … geezus 

When the libero receives the serve and flies backwards out of the frame, it's ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Really sucks that titleIX holds it back from becoming a more popular sport. 

This. I’d love to see a UT men’s team but it’s just such a west coast and Midwest sport. Hawaii, Stanford, UCLA, Ohio State, Penn State.

Nebraska, like Texas, knows where the bread is buttered 

• Rage+1 1