The 2024 Olympic Volleyball Thread

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Really sucks that titleIX holds it back from becoming a more popular sport. 

I think the power hurts the popularity, no?  Not as many rallies as in the women's game.

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

I think the power hurts the popularity, no?  Not as many rallies as in the women's game.

I was going to say something similar. It's kind of a boring watch. It's all just hit the ball as hard as you possibly can every chance you can. Doesn't really matter where you're aiming because, if it hits a body part, it's going 100 feet in air out of bounds. (Crazy oversimplification, I know.)

13 minutes ago, WBT said:

Rallies aren't as short as you think. The men hit harder, but they have a better quick twitch reaction time and speed compared to the women. You can get some long rallies in mens volleyball just like the women 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The power in the men’s game … geezus 

It's phenomenal. The matches are wild. I really wish it would take off more in the States.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WBT said:

Not as many rallies, maybe, but the athleticism is nuts. And boys/men play a very different style from girls/women. It's a wilder, 'go big or go home', 'just rip it' kind of game. Both are amazing, but very different.

ETA: But there have been a lot of great rallies today in the men's matches.

Edited by wood

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. I’d love to see a UT men’s team but it’s just such a west coast and Midwest sport. Hawaii, Stanford, UCLA, Ohio State, Penn State.

Nebraska, like Texas, knows where the bread is buttered 

Boys indoor club VB is growing by leaps and bounds in Texas. In my boy's 18U season with AJV, there were iirc 5 boys teams. That was 2 years ago. There are 11 now. 

If the UIL ever makes it a spring sport, like I've heard they're trying to do, Texas will quickly become one of the top talent pools.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If there's one universal truth I know about volleyball, it's if you reliably win points on your serve, you're going to wreck fucking shop.

Asjia O'Neal (@asjiaoneal) • Instagram photos and videos

Posted (edited)

The Qatar men's beach team is legit. They bring it in every phase. Excellent blocking & defense. Benesh/Partain could have their hands full.

Edited by wood

9 minutes ago, wood said:

The Qatar men's beach team is legit.They bring it in every phase. Excellent blocking & defense. Benesh/Partain could have their hands full.

*Senegal/Gambia

On 8/5/2024 at 6:35 PM, WBT said:

This what my daughter(got a d1 scholarship yesterday) said when we sat down to watch it. She said no one is returning anything and its hard to watch. She got up and left after the 1st set.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

This what my daughter(got a d1 scholarship yesterday) said when we sat down to watch it. She said no one is returning anything and its hard to watch. She got up and left after the 1st set.

Congrats!

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You only get 13 players and 1 alternate.  US does not have a backup libero 

So basically one libero, two setters, and eleven 6'6" dudes who hit the piss out of the ball.

• Haha 1