Men's Basketball

Why is Team USA so bad at 3x3 basketball?

tl;dr answer: 

In addition, there are stipulations as to who can play for each 3x3 roster. Players accrue points by playing in more sanctioned 3x3 events over the course of the year, and those who have not participated are not allowed to be placed on the team, unlike with 5x5 rosters, where first-timers are eligible for any competition. Those guidelines certainly led to tougher situations for USA Basketball in building these rosters, but longer-range planning and better selling the 3x3 game to top stars could have remedied them. Instead, we're left with the best basketball country in the world, losing in both men's and women's 3x3 games on the same Olympics day.

stupid rule.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Who gives a shit. It's a stupid made up sport that shouldn't have a medal associated with it.

The women did win gold in Tokyo, fwiw.

Let kyrgeserbistan or whoever win it as a consolation for getting their asses whipped in actual basketball.

Every sport is made up, haha.

And considering hundreds of thousands of people play it in the US, you would think we could find a few who are good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Every sport is made up, haha.

And considering hundreds of thousands of people play it in the US, you would think we could find a few who are good. 

I have never seen "3 on 3" basketball sanctioned at any level in the US. There are 3 on 3 tournaments and they did 3 on 3 for the exhibition "Big 3" thing but it isn't something with a defined ruleset or competition format. It's why we can't get a good team there - because our best players aren't wasting their time playing random 3v3 tournaments for points like they're trying to make the WSOP. It's a made up variation of the 2nd most popular sport in the world that's existed for over 100 years. 

I'm fine with it being a thing - I'm just not going to get into a tizzy over OMG THE USA 3 V 3 BASKETBALL TEAM ISN'T GOOD.

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

It's like if they played 7 on 7 soccer on a smaller field and gave a medal for it. The super passionate soccer countries wouldn't care at all. They barely care about the Olympics U23 tournament.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I have never seen "3 on 3" basketball sanctioned at any level in the US. There are 3 on 3 tournaments and they did 3 on 3 for the exhibition "Big 3" thing but it isn't something with a defined ruleset or competition format. It's why we can't get a good team there - because our best players aren't wasting their time playing random 3v3 tournaments for points like they're trying to make the WSOP. It's a made up variation of the 2nd most popular sport in the world that's existed for over 100 years. 

I'm fine with it being a thing - I'm just not going to get into a tizzy over OMG THE USA 3 V 3 BASKETBALL TEAM ISN'T GOOD.

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

It's like if they played 7 on 7 soccer on a smaller field and gave a medal for it. The super passionate soccer countries wouldn't care at all. They barely care about the Olympics U23 tournament.

I was really just trying to be funny and hit my weekly post quota.

Toxic.jpg

• Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Anyone watch the South Sudan-Serbia game?

Looking over the box score, Serbia sure got a lot of free throws--31 to South Sudan's six. I didn't see the game, and South Sudan plays an aggressive style but, man, that is a huge disparity.

Royal's crew was only down five going into the final period and closed to within two early but Jokic & Co. pulled away down the stretch to win, 96-85.

Still hoping South Sudan can advance as one of the best third-place teams.

14 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Anyone watch the South Sudan-Serbia game?

Looking over the box score, Serbia sure got a lot of free throws--31 to South Sudan's six. I didn't see the game, and South Sudan plays an aggressive style but, man, that is a huge disparity.

So, yeah, South Sudan is out and Royal is not happy about it.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40718638/serbia-holds-south-sudan-earn-quarterfinals-berth-greece-advances

"They shot 31 free throws; we shot six free throws?" Ivey said after the game. "Let's tell the story. Let's tell the real story, because that's a travesty. How do they shoot 31 free throws and we shoot six free throws? How?"

Ivey said referees complained about his players standing in the bench area and threatened him with ejection for being out of the coach's box, all while tolerating similar behavior by Serbia's coach.

"My guys were out there giving their all -- blood, sweat and tears -- and you tell me how we shot six free throws? We shot one free throw in the second half," Ivey said.

Deng, who starred at Duke and played 16 seasons in the NBA, said he thought the discrepancy was "deliberate."

"I know Serbia is known for basketball; they've been great for many years," Deng said. "The way, the style the guards play, it's almost like the ref knows them. It's OK if the refs know certain players to let them play their style. As soon as our guys play their style, they're getting fouls every time."

He questioned why there seems to be a narrative that African players are aggressive.

"I don't know why there's no African referees in the Olympics. It's 2024," Deng said. "If we're representing the continent, then we've got to be represented fully. That's something that we've got to keep working on. But if these referees aren't familiar with our game, with our style, then I don't know what the world championship or the Olympics is. Is it just a European basketball style and we're not allowed to be aggressive?"

• Rage+1 2

3X3 is dumb as hell and the rules about who can play mean that any American serious about basketball will ignore the game entirely. 

It’s not that it’s made up so much as it is a recreational version of the real thing, the game you play when you have to share a public court or gym, or the game you play in a driveway or behind a church. It’s like making flag football with an all-time quarterback an official sport.  So stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

3X3 is dumb as hell and the rules about who can play mean that any American serious about basketball will ignore the game entirely. 

It’s not that it’s made up so much as it is a recreational version of the real thing, the game you play when you have to share a public court or gym, or the game you play in a driveway or behind a church. It’s like making flag football with an all-time quarterback an official sport.  So stupid. 

Don't look now but..... 

Men's and women's flag football in the 2028 LA Olympics

Also, in case you missed it, I was made aware that UCLA is in Los Angeles by their new, brilliant, head corch. So is USC in case you were wondering.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

We cannot be mad. Half courts are all the dutch can install in between all their windmills, weed cafe's, strip clubs, canals and dikes.

If half courts are the cost to be paid for all that can be found in the Netherlands... it's a price worth paying.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Don't look now but..... 

Men's and women's flag football in the 2028 LA Olympics

Also, in case you missed it, I was made aware that UCLA is in Los Angeles by their new, brilliant, head corch. So is USC in case you were wondering.

I had forgotten that boxing was an Olympic sport. I'm glad it's been eliminated. It's a barbaric enterprise.

Ultimate Frisbee would be a better Olympic sport than flag football, as it's played in lots of other countries now. They're quite good at it in Japan, Canada, Australia, England and many European countries.  

Glad to see Lacrosse is being added. it's a popular sport in the US and lots of people play it. I could see those drone-loving bastards in Canada beating us, though.

Perhaps one day, basketball will grow in popularity in the US, and we too can compete in 3 vs 3 basketball against countries where it's a deep part of the culture, like the Netherlands.    

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Perhaps one day, basketball will grow in popularity in the US, and we too can compete in 3 vs 3 basketball against countries where it's a deep part of the culture, like the Netherlands.    

It's pretty clear at this point to be the best at 3-3 it takes a culture of lots of "coffee houses", legal red-light districts, wind mills and tulips.

Perhaps  the wind farms will suffice for the wind mills and perhaps one day Starbucks will sell pot brownies to make their coffee drinkable...

But I don't see ADM and Cargill going for the tulips and Nevada can't carry all the nations demand for prostitution.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I had forgotten that boxing was an Olympic sport. I'm glad it's been eliminated. It's a barbaric enterprise

Maybe if they waved a ribbon around while they circled the ring?

rhythmic gymnastics GIF by Olympic Channel

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I wasn't joking about Ultimate Frisbee, which has previously been an Olympic exhibition sport. I think it's a great game with amazing athletes. 

As long as they don't test for weed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I wasn't joking about Ultimate Frisbee, which has previously been an Olympic exhibition sport. I think it's a great game with amazing athletes. 

I'd honestly be far more inclined to watch that than indoor bikies going in a circle and shot put. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

The Cal-Berkeley intramural champs vs. the world. Who you got?

• Hook 'Em 1