Longhorns in the Olympics

Posted (edited)

Also, sort of Longhorn adjacent is Shaine Casas, who will be swimming the 200 IM (alongside Longhorn Carson Foster).

Originally from McAllen (Puro RGV!), he went to A&M (first NCAA swim champion in A&M history), then intended to transfer to Texas for his senior year.  Instead of transferring, he decided to turn pro instead, but he still made the move to Austin to train under Eddie Reese.

UPDATE: Finished the semis with the 9th fastest time, does not qualify for the final

Edited by TheBryMan81

5 hours ago, randomhorn said:

Royal Ivey: head coach of the South Sudanese national basketball team.

I’m also claiming everyone coached by Bob Bowman

He's the private coach for several American swimmers and he's the head coach for the French national team... so that's a lot lol

Also, pretty cool to see... they did a feature on American swimmer Reagen Smith (silver 200m backstroke I think) and showed videos of her training with Bowman while he was wearing Longhorn gear. Makes for great exposure I reckon.

• Hook 'Em 3

I've read various articles (often not well sourced) that drew differing conclusions about which university has the most student-athletes or former student-athletes in these Olympics.  Finally did some searching and ran across this link from NCAA.com that seems the most comprehensive. It does count individuals like former Texas women's basketball player Lauren Ebo as being at three schools -- Penn State, Texas, and finally Notre Dame (where she graduated). Doesn't include coaches, though, so Ivey and others aren't in it -- just athletes competing in the games.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2024/7/16/olympics-ncaa-student-athletes-competing-at-the-2024-summer-olympic-games.aspx

Neugebauer getting underway 

Crouser too 

• Men's Decathlon 100m: 4:05 a.m. ET on E!, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com
  • Men's Hammer Throw Qualification - Group A: 4:10 a.m. ET on USA Network, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com
  • Men's Decathlon Long Jump: 4:55a.m. ET on USA Network, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com
  • Men's Decathlon Shot Put: 6:15 a.m. ET on USA Network, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com
  • Men's Decathlon High Jump: 12 p.m. ET on USA Network, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com
  • Men's Shot Put Qualification: 2:10 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com
  • Men's Decathlon 400m: 2:50 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Saturday:

Leo:

• Men's Decathlon 110m Hurdles: 4:05 a.m. ET on Peacock and NBCOlympics.com. (Heat 2)
  • Men's Decathlon Discus Throw - Group B: 6 a.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Men's Decathlon Pole Vault: 7:40 a.m. ET on Peacock and NBCOlympics.com. (Group B)
  • Men's Decathlon Javelin Throw - Group A: 1:10 p.m. ET on Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Men's Decathlon 1,500m: 3:45 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.

Crouser:

• Men's Shot Put Final (Medal event): 1:10 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
Edited by UTexasFight

10 hours ago, utee94 said:

Found this site that's capturing medals by university, can't vouch for its accuracy.  This is the top 10, full list at the link:

https://fansided.com/posts/olympic-medal-tracker-colleges-with-the-most-2024-olympic-medalists-01j3xgy7pn25

Olympic Medals by College

According to this I missed a silver medal somewhere.  As of now,  I had the count at 3 gold, 4 silver,  3 bronze

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

According to this I missed a silver medal somewhere.  As of now,  I had the count at 3 gold, 4 silver,  3 bronze

They only have us  with 1 Gold. Where does that difference come from?

ETA: NM. They just updated slower than you did.

Edited by wood

Watching Scheffler during the Anthem completed this entire Olympics.

Stoic. Robotic. An incredible performance today, for the ages.

And the idea of representing his country brought him to tears.

Damn good, Scottie.  Damn good. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Watching Scheffler during the Anthem completed this entire Olympics.

Stoic. Robotic. An incredible performance today, for the ages.

And the idea of representing his country brought him to tears.

Damn good, Scottie.  Damn good. 

He's had one hell of a year between winning the Masters, having his first child, and bringing home a golf in Paris

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

He's had one hell of a year between winning the Masters, having his first child, and bringing home a golf in Paris

you forgot the most important event.

viciously dragging a uniform pair of pants (which were being worn by a lying asshole) through the hard hard asphalt for a half foot.

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

viciously dragging a uniform pair of pants (which were being worn by a lying asshole) through the hard hard asphalt for a half foot.

Lol I thought you were gonna mention his mugshot from Valhalla

pqr4plff3ogd1.jpeg

I bet that cop is keeping his head a bit lower now lol

10 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

That humble public servant was just lucky to survive and get back to his family.

Posted (edited)

She quasi-counts cuz she did post-grad at UT and trains in Austin. I was screaming as she sprinted down the straight ... and started to get dusty from her raw emotion.

gabby-thomas-200-olympics2.jpg

And St. Lucia's second-ever medal comes courtesy of the same person--you guessed it, Frank Stallone. Wait, I mean the inimitable and icon-worthy Julien Alfred!

julien_alfred_silver_200m_olympics_e8d7f

Edited by Braff Zacklin
"she's did" lulz
  • Hook 'Em 3

She'll get into this thread by living and training in Austin, coaching at Texas, is a badass, back-to-back gold in the discus.  And knows how to celebrate a win.

Allman lives in Austin, Texas, and trains with University of Texas at Austin throwing coach Zeb Sion. Allman is also a volunteer assistant coach with the Longhorns. When she gets back to the Texas capital, she said she’s going to celebrate in the most Texas way possible — eat a lot of barbecue at one of Central Texas’ most popular spots.

“I’m so excited to get back. I’m going to Terry Black’s to celebrate and eat a pound of brisket,” she said. “I can’t wait to go all out there.”

Terry Black’s posted a congratulations on its story in response and said, “We’re honored and can’t wait to celebrate with you! Let the party begin!

image.thumb.png.a05e3635476948433bfb8fe1828f3a73.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Updated 04 Aug 24.

No Dirt Burglars or aggy stinkin' up the top 10.  What's in the water over there @ the Cardinal?

image.png.70ecace9753bb13e249b17934dd2fd3f.png

Durant will make it 13. We got anyone else looking to medal between here and there?  

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Durant will make it 13. We got anyone else looking to medal between here and there?  

durant will be 14. alfred won silver in the 200m yesterday which is not in rofl's graphic.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Updated 04 Aug 24.

No Dirt Burglars or aggy stinkin' up the top 10.  What's in the water over there @ the Cardinal?

image.png.70ecace9753bb13e249b17934dd2fd3f.png

I wish they kept a list of each school's representatives. I'm using the Daily Texan list from the OP, which might not be completely accurate, but by my count right now, we're at 4 Gold, 5 Silver, and 3 Bronze

On 8/6/2024 at 5:31 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Gabby got a degree from the University of Texas. A Master's. 

Nothing quasi about being a Longhorn.

For the purposes of medal count though, I think hers count for Harvard since that's where she spent her entire collegiate track career 

8 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I wish they kept a list of each school's representatives. I'm using the Daily Texan list from the OP, which might not be completely accurate, but by my count right now, we're at 4 Gold, 5 Silver, and 3 Bronze

This list lines up with the same 12 - https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/olympics-2024/2024-08-08/2024-olympics-medal-tracker-current-and-past-ncaa-student-athletes-paris

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Are Gabby’s golds only counted for Harvard?

Officially, yes only for Harvard because she never ran track at UT. She did grad school at the Austin campus of University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, one of the medical/grad schools in the UT System, but was already a professional and did not compete for Texas as a graduate student.

(Which raises an interesting question, would she have been allowed to run at UT if she wanted to while she was in grad school? Technically, the medical/grad school at UT-Houston is a different campus than UT-Austin)

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 1