Colin Allred, running the two minute offense

Covri

22 hours ago, Covri said:

Maybe he and the Democratic Party in Texas are going to give it a real try after all.

https://archive.is/i8h5H

Reveal hidden contents

U.S. Rep. Colin Allred, Texas Democrats to pool resources, volunteers

Why is Election Day in November? Find out before the 2024 presidential election.

There's a lot to keep track of ahead of the 2024 presidential election, but when you vote stays the same. Here's why Election Day falls in November. 

U.S. Rep. Colin Allred is plowing ahead in his battle to unseat Republican U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz by launching a coordinated grassroots effort to share volunteers with the Texas Democratic Party for events, rallies, phone banks and voter registration.

The partnership with the state party would be the first of its kind in more than 20 years, according to Allred's campaign, which announced the collaboration Wednesday. It would allow party officials and Allred's camp to consolidate resources, potentially helping them avoid duplicating efforts on voter outreach.

Allred, a former civil rights attorney and current third-term congressman from Dallas, will officially kick off the effort with a rally Sunday in Houston. He will be joined by his wife, Alexandra Eber; former Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner; Harris County Commissioners Rodney Ellis and Adrian Garcia; and Amanda Zurawski, the lead plaintiff in Zurawski v. Texas, a state Supreme Court case that sought to challenge Texas' near-total abortion ban.

The name of the new endeavor, "Texas Offense," is a nod to Allred's football career. He was a linebacker at Baylor University in Waco and had a brief stint in the NFL.

“Throughout my football career at Baylor and the NFL, I’ve always played defense. But now, along with Texans from all across our state, we are fully on offense to beat Ted Cruz,” Allred said in a news release Wednesday. “Our grassroots campaign of Texans is ready to win because we cannot afford six more years of Ted Cruz.”

State and federal campaign finance laws prevent federal candidates from directly sharing funds with state candidates, and vice versa, said Jon Taylor, a political science professor at the University of Texas at San Antonio. But an effort like this could allow campaigns to pool voter data into a single database.

"Every campaign is going to have to raise money, but, at the same time, the money you're spending on your campaign can be used in terms of purchasing, say, registration information and software, that can be shared," Taylor said.

Allred's Texas Offense plan could allow him to make use of his massive war chest — he has raised more than $38 million since he announced his campaign last year — to benefit fellow Democratic candidates up and down the ticket.

"This is something that should have been happening in this state for at least the last 20-plus years, given the state's size and its burgeoning Democratic constituencies," Taylor told the American-Statesman in a phone interview Wednesday. "But let's see how this thing actually rolls out and see how much money they're actually going to have to do this."

Get the Think Texas newsletter in your inbox.

Your weekly fix of Texas history, nostalgia, myths and more.

Delivery: Varies

Allred's Wednesday announcement gives heft to Cruz's recent warnings — both in campaign donation solicitations and at the Republican National Convention — that his race is closer than polls might show it to be.

“It’s easy to be complacent," Cruz said, addressing the GOP convention crowd in Milwaukee on July 17. "One of the real mistakes people make in politics is they have a recency bias. They say, 'Well, whatever things have been recently, that’s what it’s going to be forever.'”

A Cruz campaign spokesperson, however, said Allred and Democrats are flailing and will continue to do so despite the Texas Offense launch.

“With a little over 100 days until Election Day, there is no question that Colin Allred’s last-ditch effort to campaign will fall short," Cruz's spokesperson told the Statesman. "It doesn’t matter how hard they try, the Texas Democrats fall flat on their face every electoral cycle, and this time will be no different.”

Taylor noted a similar approach has been taken in other states, including Pennsylvania, where Democrats are defending the seat of U.S. Sen. Bob Casey from a GOP challenge. He also said that it is standard practice in countries like England and Canada.

"This state's party needs to look at the best practices that were created in highly successful Democratic states," Taylor said. "That's where Texas Democrats have fallen down over the years."

Abortion in Texas

Allred's campaign began disseminating its first digital ads on abortion Wednesday. The 15- and 30-second videos, which will run statewide, feature two Texas OB-GYNs pinning responsibility for the state's near-total abortion ban on Cruz.

Text in the ad labels House Bill 1280, the Texas law that made administering an abortion a felony, as "TED CRUZ'S ABORTION BAN". While Cruz praised the U.S. Supreme Court for overturning the federal right to an abortion established in Roe v. Wade, saying it "will save the lives of millions of innocent babies," he is part of the U.S. Senate, not the Texas Legislature, and as such, he had no ability to vote for or against Texas' laws on abortion. 

Cruz in 2021 sponsored a bill in Congress that would have prohibited abortion nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape or risk of death. 

Four minute offense?  There's a Greg Davis joke in there somewhere.

9 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

If I were registered to vote in Texas, I’d back this guy over Ted Cruz.  He checks all the boxes that matter.

Species -

Color -

Common sense -

Loyalty -

Party affiliation- Don’t care

image.thumb.jpeg.4245dc9d29b656d4215ceb2f9f46dbea.jpeg

Who’s a good boy?!?

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Four minute offense?  There's a Greg Davis joke in there somewhere.

There is, but he's not going to tell it until the week after OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

Cruz's commercial against this guy is hilarious. Just a clip of Allred talking about how his generation is gonna tear down the wall, or something. Somehow though Ted Cruz's bitch voice makes me still want to vote for Allred. He just has a such a shrill sounding, bitch voice.

Posted (edited)

You would think a guy who played defense would use a defensive metaphor instead. I have to imagine in Texas, even voters who are non-football fans would understand it. 

Edited by YChang

9 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Would still be preferable to Cruz

He should, if he wins, be “independent” and caucus with the Dems. He’d be extremely powerful in possibly being #50 (if Harris wins) or #51

At least he wouldn’t have the dreaded Dem label on him for 6 years 

Just now, Js1 said:

He should, if he wins, be “independent” and caucus with the Dems. He’d be extremely powerful in possibly being #50 (if Harris wins) or #51

At least he wouldn’t have the dreaded Dem label on him for 6 years 

Checks notes... that has worked out great for Sinema, I am sure he will follow suit

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Checks notes... that has worked out great for Sinema, I am sure he will follow suit

Arizona and Texas are not the same. 

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I understand your dissent, but those states have more similarities than most. Generally going independent is unwise as you will lose the support of the side that got you elected.  

Oh I’m sure he’ll do that plenty on his own

Both Bernie and Angus King are independents. He’ll lose support of Dems in Texas if he continually decides to stall a Harris agenda, like Manchin and Sinema 

There are plenty of places where the Dem label is toxic as fuck and running as an independent is a good chance. Utah, Nebraska are two places where Dems didn’t nominate anyone and supported the independent candidate instead 

10 minutes ago, YChang said:

Progress is unfortunatley slow and if "Democratic lite" is what is takes to switch away from Cruz and his ilk I'll take it.

It would help if he would, you know, campaign.  Just a pointer from a political amateur over here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It would help if he would, you know, campaign.  Just a pointer from a political amateur over here.

You mean you're not getting pinged every minute to donate?!? That's not campaigning? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, YChang said:

Progress is unfortunatley slow and if "Democratic lite" is what is takes to switch away from Cruz and his ilk I'll take it.

FTR he's not "Democratic lite" he's "Campaigning zero."

But sure, Democrats should keep doing the same thing they've been doing in Texas since 1994. It's reliable! 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Rage+1 3

16 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

FTR he's not "Democratic lite" he's "Campaigning zero."

But sure, Democrats should keep doing the same thing they've been doing in Texas since 1994. It's reliable! 

I just visited his campaign website to see if there was a schedule of events/rallies/whatnot and found nothing.

On his Threads account, it shows him recently at some kind of event that looks like a lavish backyard party in Galveston, and another one where it shows him addressing a crowd in Houston at a"Texas Offense" kickoff rally. Before that, he's in San Marcos, so he's doing campaign events but it feels like everything he's doing is under the radar. 

Like, how do you find out about these things if you aren't diligently following his social media accounts? Do you have to be a donor to get an invitation? Publishing a travel itinerary or event schedule seems like it'd be the least his team could do.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

I just visited his campaign website to see if there was a schedule of events/rallies/whatnot and found nothing.

On his Threads account, it shows him recently at some kind of event that looks like a lavish backyard party in Galveston, and another one where it shows him addressing a crowd in Houston at a"Texas Offense" kickoff rally. Before that, he's in San Marcos, so he's doing campaign events but it feels like everything he's doing is under the radar. 

Like, how do you find out about these things if you aren't diligently following his social media accounts? Do you have to be a donor to get an invitation? Publishing a travel itinerary or event schedule seems like it'd be the least his team could do.

Nobody has a run a good campaign for senate in Texas save Beto. And then Beto went full retard after that and tried to go for the presidency instead of biding his time. 

The reason Beto was alsmost successful was three reasons: 1) grassroots energy 2) political climate at the moment 3) weak opponent

Allred is only benefiting from point number 3 at the moment. Without 1 and 2, he is sunk. 

Beto generated his own grassroots energy with his campaign.  Allred could do the same, but he'd rather just do nothing and apparently also support crypto? What a stupid asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Beto generated his own grassroots energy with his campaign.  Allred could do the same, but he'd rather just do nothing and apparently also support crypto? What a stupid asshole. 

No shit. I understand he might not have a lot of cash, but using social media to engage with the public is free. Get a couple of creative college kids to post fun videos with Allred visiting towns or going to fairs or whatever the fuck and say, "Tomorrow afternoon, I'll be in Sweetwater at the Rattlesnake Roundup! Come out and see me milk venom and sit on a wind turbine."

Do something!

Just now, bolverk said:

I understand he might not have a lot of cash

He has a ton of cash - almost $10.5m COH

He's $12m ahead in fundraising of Beto at this point in 2018 and has outraised Ted by just over a million.  Not to mention his grassroots donations are well ahead of Ted ($38m compared to 23m; Ted has him outraised in PAC money, $16.6m to $3m)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He has a ton of cash - almost $10.5m COH

He's $12m ahead in fundraising of Beto at this point in 2018 and has outraised Ted by just over a million.  Not to mention his grassroots donations are well ahead of Ted ($38m compared to 23m; Ted has him outraised in PAC money, $16.6m to $3m)

Great! I hope he's already reserved timeslots for his ad blitz this fall. All I'm saying is he needs to burst out of whatever bubble he's in and gain some visibility across the state. And, yes, I realize I'm not breaking any new ground with that observation.

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Great! I hope he's already reserved timeslots for his ad blitz this fall. All I'm saying is he needs to burst out of whatever bubble he's in and gain some visibility across the state. And, yes, I realize I'm not breaking any new ground with that observation.

Allred is saving his campaign cash the same way Mackovick saved up time outs.....to never, ever, fucking use them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

32 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

he reason Beto was alsmost successful was three reasons: 1) grassroots energy 2) political climate at the moment 3) weak opponent

4) he ran completely outside of and often to the extreme irritation of the Texas Democratic Party and the consultant class thereof. 
And one of the several differences between that campaign and his campaign for governor was their involvement.

I criticize Beto around here a LOT. But ultimately the party is a muck bigger problem and many of his perceived errors are really their problems.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

4) he ran completely outside of and often to the extreme irritation of the Texas Democratic Party and the consultant class thereof. 
And one of the several differences between that campaign and his campaign for governor was their involvement.

I criticize Beto around here a LOT. But ultimately the party is a muck bigger problem and many of his perceived errors are really their problems.

I was unaware that he was being hampered by the Texas DP. Do you credit that more for him getting smoked by Abbot or the fact that since he ran for president he lost his veneer of being moderate?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Its amazing how invisible this dude is. Wendy f'n Davis probably still has greater name recognition in TX than Allred does right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Its amazing how invisible this dude is. Wendy f'n Davis probably still has greater name recognition in TX than Allred does right now. 

She was acting as a surrogate for him during the primaries. That's the only reason I knew he was running.

40 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I was unaware that he was being hampered by the Texas DP. Do you credit that more for him getting smoked by Abbot or the fact that since he ran for president he lost his veneer of being moderate?

More the latter than the former. If anything he ran as more of a moderate in his guv campaign than for senate. 

Well, was just in CA and the folks I was visiting with thought the world of Colin.  "Seems like an even-keeled kind of guy."

I'm not sure how the fuck someone can win statewide office in Texas without having a "better" border policy that whatever is in existence.  

And the Biden Admin hasn't exactly been "on point" in the marketing and timing of its border efforts.

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Well, was just in CA and the folks I was visiting with thought the world of Colin.  "Seems like an even-keeled kind of guy."

I'm not sure how the fuck someone can win statewide office in Texas without having a "better" border policy that whatever is in existence.  

And the Biden Admin hasn't exactly been "on point" in the marketing and timing of its border efforts.

Haven’t heard a lot about the border crisis lately. I wonder why?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Nothing good ever comes from Baylor. 

Ann Richards Woman GIF by Texas Archive of the Moving Image

Holy fuck, I mean, we replaced her with Shrub, Perry and Wheels.  Pathetic

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

even this thread is boring. I found myself scrolling not really reading any posts. how did this human quaalude win the primary?

Have you even tried HEB Made In Texas creamy open face on some room temp white sandwich bread?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Again, he seems to be afraid to commit to trying to energize prospective voters while trying not to offend voters who are not likely to vote for him. It’s a losing strategy at a time when the election for him is most winnable.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Again, he seems to be afraid to commit to trying to energize prospective voters while trying not to offend voters who are not likely to vote for him. It’s a losing strategy at a time when the election for him is most winnable.

I don't think you understand how many people hate Ted Cruz and think he's actually scamming them. A lot of people want a Texas Democrat no one wants a national Democrat. I think he's campaigning the right way, I also think he isn't gonna be a rank and file guy on most issues, but he is gonna actually put in the work instead of being a shithead celebrity politician. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't think you understand how many people hate Ted Cruz and think he's actually scamming them. A lot of people want a Texas Democrat no one wants a national Democrat. I think he's campaigning the right way, I also think he isn't gonna be a rank and file guy on most issues, but he is gonna actually put in the work instead of being a shithead celebrity politician. 

I guess not campaigning is some type of campaigning

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2024 at 1:26 PM, Bama Llama said:

If I were registered to vote in Texas, I’d back this guy over Ted Cruz.  He checks all the boxes that matter.

Species -

Color -

Common sense -

Loyalty -

Party affiliation- Don’t care

image.thumb.jpeg.4245dc9d29b656d4215ceb2f9f46dbea.jpeg

I have one question before I throw all my support behind him.  Who's a good boy?!?!?

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

I have never seen  a more invisible politician in my life. What the fuck is he doing, spending all his time hand assembling the non-existent  "Allred for Senate" yard signs so they are ready  for distribution in early 2025? I'm going to start asking random people I meet if they know who colin allred is, and I will be shocked if 25%+ give me an accurate answer. 

16 hours ago, Blotto said:

I have never seen  a more invisible politician in my life. What the fuck is he doing

Based on the volume of text messages and emails…

parks and recreation two funerals GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Really wish Beto would have not blown his wad the last two “runs”..  should have waited in wait until now for a Ted vs Beto rematch 

This. He should have spent 2020 registering and turning out voters against Trump, not running his shitty vanity campaign for POTUS, and then held out until 2024.

Idiot 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3