Colin Allred, running the two minute offense

Covri

On 9/6/2024 at 10:05 AM, quigley said:

I'd be happy to see Allred win and donated significantly to support his candidacy. If (when) he loses, Tx dems will be left wondering if candidate and tactical quality were optimized this cycle

I will not be wondering. They were not.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, quigley said:

I'm sorry. I don't understand. Do you think Allred wins?

No, because candidate and tactical quality were not optimized. My guess is Allred underperforms Harris by 2-3% 

would be thrilled to be wrong.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No, because candidate and tactical quality were not optimized. My guess is Allred underperforms Harris by 2-3% 

would be thrilled to be wrong.

I heard a radio ad from him this morning.  JFC, it couldn't have been more bland if was a midwestern potluck dinner. 

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I heard a radio ad from him this morning.  JFC, it couldn't have been more bland if was a midwestern potluck dinner. 

Is it the one where he mentions he was raised by a single mother multiple times? He has zero inflection in his voice in that one. It’s awful.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Is it the one where he mentions he was raised by a single mother multiple times? He has zero inflection in his voice in that one. It’s awful.

Yep.  Basically, it's a minute long resume dump.  Single mom, worked as a kid, played at Baylor and the NFL, became an attorney, zzzzzzzzzz...

Ads? You don't get shit for votes without ads and name recognition. Seriously, I have no doubt he's a good man, but you got to get the word out statewide.

Way back when Ann Richards started thinking about running for Governor, she was putting out daily press releases for the State Treasurer. Who GAF about 99% of State Treasurer trivia? But it got her name out there. People recognized her voice when they heard it. All the PR was literally free.

Now, WTF is this guy again?

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

Ads? You don't get shit for votes without ads and name recognition. Seriously, I have no doubt he's a good man, but you got to get the word out statewide.

Way back when Ann Richards started thinking about running for Governor, she was putting out daily press releases for the State Treasurer. Who GAF about 99% of State Treasurer trivia? But it got her name out there. People recognized her voice when they heard it. All the PR was literally free.

Now, WTF is this guy again?

Texas Dems have got to stop falling in love with someone who went viral and hitching their wagon to that candidate.

If Allred wins, it will be in spite of and not because of the TDP.

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If he wins, it'll be in spite of himself and his campaign, as well. 

He's a lukewarm candidate but he doesn't have many negatives other than being boring. The campaign so far hasn't impressed me but I'll wait and see because maybe their strategy is just to blitz in the home stretch. I don't agree with his center-right platform, but he's probably basing those positions on some kind of internal data so I understand and expect that he won't be appealing to progressives except as and really only because he's a way to oust Cruz.

• Like 1

I think James Talarico, John Bucy, and Jasmine Crocket are the future Dem stars for this state in terms of potential. And Crocket is the only one that most Texans at least Dems probably know. I also don't know what it'll take to get rid of the existing state Dem leadership either but it's way past time for a change. 

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I don't agree with his center-right platform, but he's probably basing those positions on some kind of internal data

No, it's based on him running in the state of Texas.  A Democrat hasn't won statewide since 1994 in a state that hasn't voted blue at the presidential level since 1976.

Yeah... this election cycle will be an interesting one to see. Will the margins keep shrinking as we have witnessed since Obama? The progressives in this state is convinced that Democrats need to continue to campaign on a progressive agenda. Yet we've witnessed someone like a Michelle Vallejo swinging waaaay to the center on the border to appeal to her potential voters.

I am of the camp that Texas Democrats are not and don't have to be like NY/CA democrats... especially if the party have aspirations of turning this state purple. I guess we shall see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No, it's based on him running in the state of Texas.  A Democrat hasn't won statewide since 1994 in a state that hasn't voted blue at the presidential level since 1976.

The problem with that approach is that it assumes the non-voters come from the center. There's much more evidence consistent with the distribution of political leanings, especially in Texas, being bimodal. That's why you are seeing the new crop of republicans are further to the right (Hawley, DeSantis, MTG) because they get a higher ROI by prioritizing turnout among their base over trying to win moderates. DeSantis's first win was by a razor thin margin, and instead of governing as a centrist he took a maximalist approach and when he was up for re-election he won by a much safer margin over a "safe" centrist candidate (former Republican Charlie Crist).

I hope Allred wins, but I feel like the TDP keeps trying to same thing and getting the same result.

• Hook 'Em 1

There isn't a "center":

You guys are all arguing around the fact that the “center” is actually a completely mythical thing. Most Americans aren’t super politically engaged or ideologically constrained and your average American has some views on some issues that many would reasonably consider very liberal while has views on other issues that many would reasonably consider pretty conservative. The average American’s views on many issues are also much more malleable than people tend to think and depend in large part in how an issue is presented and what those they’re close to think about it.

It’s not a simple line from left to right and even calling it a spectrum is implying more coherence than is really there for many people. Walz as governor has championed what pretty much anyone involved in American politics for the last forty years would say is a very progressive agenda. But those policies are popular and it’s not hard to get people who don’t see themselves as progressive to support them, if you don’t run from them because you think you have to triangulate and adopt a bunch of unpopular conservative positions to show how you’re actually a moderate.

And there was a time in our history where policies like free school lunch WERE actually new and very progressive. Hell, there was a time in our history where public education was new and very progressive. People quite literally fought and died to have a weekend.  The whole idea about what is "moderate" or in the "center" isn't actually about any specific policies at all but about how most people want to view themselves. Most people aren't comfortable thinking of themselves as part of an extreme and so they don't want to support ideas that people around them who they like and respect think are extreme.

The right built up such a big right-wing propaganda machine that they managed to convince millions of people that feeding kids at school is dangerous extremism.  Tons of communities now believe that because it's what the people they trust on TV say and what their friends and family and neighbors say. But that's actually a very easy bubble to pierce and you do it like Walz has: when challenged on it you stand firm and say something like "what a monster, kids got food and now can learn!" It's easy to show there's not some great harm in feeding kids, and it's not like it's too fucking expensive.  There are all sorts of other issues like this too that the Dems should be more aggressively championing instead of running away from, but the prior generation of Democratic leadership was too traumatized from coming up under Reaganism too know how to fight.

"I'm not like those radical Dems" (who include the leaders of the party and 80%+ of its voters) is not a winning centrist message. Dems aren't winning in purple states like Michigan and Pennsylvania by running as Republican-lites. They're running on liberal values and popular policies.  Here in Texas, Allred and other Dems could easily be gaining ground if they would prioritize attacking the GOP for their support for charter schools. But instead they play into GOP framing and priorities and run against their own party. That only works if you've got the name recognition and popularity of a Joe Manchin, and it sure as shit doesn't serve the party or any liberal causes.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

Why would Ted Cruz agree to a debate? 

Lots of out of state people have moved here since covid. Would definitely say they lean right but I may just be making that up. 

Did Beto gain more voters when he leaned left and started talking about banning assault weapons? Feel like that just rallied more of the MAGA base to actually show up. Maybe certain left leaning positions would be popular even in Texas idk.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Here in Texas, Allred and other Dems could easily be gaining ground if they would prioritize attacking the GOP for their support for charter schools. But instead they play into GOP framing and priorities and run against their own party. That only works if you've got the name recognition and popularity of a Joe Manchin, and it sure as shit doesn't serve the party or any liberal causes.  

Specifically in Houston, I think the "we will tear the wall down" ad doesn't resonate but fucking up the kids education sure does.

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Why would Ted Cruz agree to a debate?

He loves the sound of his own voice. 500 episodes of a podcast even.

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Lots of out of state people have moved here since covid. Would definitely say they lean right but I may just be making that up. 

I wonder how much of an impact they will have, but it's not going to be easy to pinpoint since there are many other changes happening in the state with respect to demographics.

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Did Beto gain more voters when he leaned left and started talking about banning assault weapons?

Abbott is more popular than Cruz, but maybe the exit polls would show that the gun stuff pushed people away.

In a Cruz election where the job is about voting on federal issues, Allred should be able to distinguish himself further on the key issues if he wants to drive turnout on the left side of the bimodal distribution.

8 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Have had some Republican voters tell me they hate Ted Cruz with a passion but they are too afraid Allred will just fall in line with the Dem leaders so they will stick with Cruz so you probably have a point.

Abortion is the only topic Allred is winning on with voters from what I can tell.

I've seen somewhat the opposite.  Purely anecdotally, I have heard from Republican friends (country club Republican types) how much they hate Cruz but have warm an fuzzies with Allred since they feel like he's moderate and will try to build consensus.  Here's hoping they don't just pull the R lever when it comes time to vote.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I've seen somewhat the opposite.  Purely anecdotally, I have heard from Republican friends (country club Republican types) how much they hate Cruz but have warm an fuzzies with Allred since they feel like he's moderate and will try to build consensus.  Here's hoping they don't just pull the R lever when it comes time to vote.

Allred should hang Project 2025 on Cruz and vow not to confirm any judge who opposes abortion rights.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

ems aren't winning in purple states like Michigan and Pennsylvania by running as Republican-lites. They're running on liberal values and popular policies. 

Dems need to win ONE statewide race so Texas voters have 4-6 years to fully realize that they aren't some massive far left communists from California, like Ted and Greg and Dan keep telling them. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I may check with my source who procured our Lina and Beto signs in 2022. May as well throw it up beneath my Harris sign 

They should be making either

Colin not Cruz

or

Allred not Ted

signs to put up next to the Harris-Walz signs, same color and font

21 hours ago, YChang said:

I think James Talarico, John Bucy, and Jasmine Crocket are the future Dem stars for this state in terms of potential. And Crocket is the only one that most Texans at least Dems probably know. I also don't know what it'll take to get rid of the existing state Dem leadership either but it's way past time for a change. 

Yep. Especially Jasmine, but I love Talarico making the evangelicals squirm like nobody's business.

• Hook 'Em 4