Colin Allred, running the two minute offense

Covri

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just going to tell you--if by some miracle Colin Allred got elected, we'd learn to hate him in pretty quick order.  There's no question he would become a Texas version of Joe Manchin.  Or worse--a fucking Kyrsten Sinema.

100% agree with this, but at least we would be rid of Cruz. I compare it to when I lived in Maricopa County. I voted against Arpaio in every election whether or not I liked the other person’s politics. I just wanted Arpaio gone. I figured we could deal with the other guy later if he turned into a shitheel. It’s what we’re seeing in the AZ Senate race. Synema (ashamed to admit I donated to her race 6 years ago) morphed into what she is today and AZ will now likely get a newly minted badass in the form of Gallego.

• Hook 'Em 6

Any Democrat is better than Ted. I’d crawl across broken glass to vote for Manchin over Ted.

Allred might be the difference between 50/50 and no more filibuster or 51/49 and Majority Leader Cruz 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 9

lol Biden had enough votes in 2020 to win the previous election by 500k. It’s all about depressing Republican turnout, energy, momentum, whatever you want to call it. Before 2020 there was a very flat, very real ceiling of 4.5-4.7 million votes for Republicans since 2004

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just going to tell you--if by some miracle Colin Allred got elected, we'd learn to hate him in pretty quick order.  There's no question he would become a Texas version of Joe Manchin.  Or worse--a fucking Kyrsten Sinema.

What in his voting record indicates he’d be anything like that?

On 9/16/2024 at 3:18 PM, Jive Turkey said:

I think this is the commercial I saw watching football this weekend. Or a similar commercial calling him Cancun Cruz. Definitely more pointed. There may actually be a method to Allred’s madness.

this is the commercial i saw during football.  just saw it again on the local Fox 4 news in Dallas.  Colin is gonna lose.  but i'll be damned that he's gonna come closer than Beto.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Don’t care. Hate Cruz. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this is the commercial i saw during football.  just saw it again on the local Fox 4 news in Dallas.  Colin is gonna lose.  but i'll be damned that he's gonna come closer than Beto.

That’s exactly the kind of ad Beto should have been running. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Pleasantly surprised that Cruz agreed to an debate on a Tuesday night. I would have figured that he would follow Abbott's lead in going with Friday night debates so no one watches. 

But then again Cruz surprises in that he will put himself out there even when he knows its not his audience. Like when he played Jimmy Kimmel in basketball.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Beto was in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you could insert Beto into this senate race, pretending that his previous senate and gubernatorial bids didn't happen, I think he'd be doing as well or better than Allred. (Oh, you'd probably have to have Superman spin the Earth backwards so you could go back and tell Beto not to say "we're going to take your guns" in the aftermath of Uvalde. That quote, even though it was powerful and 100% the right thing to say, will haunt him politically for many, many years to come.)

Beto ended his political career with one sentence when he got caught up in a moment.  Nothing he does after that will matter in Texas.  I don't think Beto can run a campaign like this because he would have to be invisible and it's too late for him to try it. That's Allred's whole strategy, keep your mouth shut and don't be Ted Cruz.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Beto was in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you could insert Beto into this senate race, pretending that his previous senate and gubernatorial bids didn't happen, I think he'd be doing as well or better than Allred. (Oh, you'd probably have to have Superman spin the Earth backwards so you could go back and tell Beto not to say "we're going to take your guns" in the aftermath of Uvalde. That quote, even though it was powerful and 100% the right thing to say, will haunt him politically for many, many years to come.)

He also had some votes while being the rep from El Paso that were problematic for a statewide race and Cruz was able to call him out on them. When I saw those I knew he had no shot. Just too far to the left for Texas then and even now.

I don't remember the exact details but when I saw his record I was like "yeah, that's going to be a problem."

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’d also tell him not to run a vanity campaign for president and say he was born for it or whatever. Should have kept his head down, gone the Abrams route of doing nothing but registering voters and taking potshots at Cruz and running in 2024 again 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’d also tell him not to run a vanity campaign for president and say he was born for it or whatever. Should have kept his head down, gone the Abrams route of doing nothing but registering voters and taking potshots at Cruz and running in 2024 again 

Can't disagree. I have to admit I have an unhealthy affinity for all things Beto and I think he's a perfect fit for Texas, either as senator or governor.

Alas, we can't get our collective shit together enough to make him electable.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Can't disagree. I have to admit I have an unhealthy affinity for all things Beto and I think he's a perfect fit for Texas, either as senator or governor.

Alas, we can't get our collective shit together enough to make him electable.

His 254 County strategy was great, but maybe a different strategy gets the candidate over the hurdle.

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. The vanity fair piece, looking too small for the moment on Ellen, “I was born for this”, etc.

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

He also had some votes while being the rep from El Paso that were problematic for a statewide race and Cruz was able to call him out on them. When I saw those I knew he had no shot. Just too far to the left for Texas then and even now.

I don't remember the exact details but when I saw his record I was like "yeah, that's going to be a problem."

Beto is doing a good job of keeping out of the way and going on his voter registration campaigns. I feel like he has made sure to not make it to where people associate him and Allred as being same/same. He is a good dude.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is a good ad.

I’ve seen this ad several times today while watching college football.

I wish the docs went a bit further and said they’re considering relocating to a state where they can do their job legally.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Saw a YouTube ad this morning where Colin said he was the Democrat running against Ted Cruz, and the poll he popped up on the screen showed Cruz with (R) and Allred with (D).

He wouldn't do that unless he or whoever is managing his campaign decided it was the right time to start moving that way.

IMG_7618.gif.3777465e13aea0a1bc1f85f8e9ec84fa.gif

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Saw a YouTube ad this morning where Colin said he was the Democrat running against Ted Cruz, and the poll he popped up on the screen showed Cruz with (R) and Allred with (D).

He wouldn't do that unless he or whoever is managing his campaign decided it was the right time to start moving that way.

If you look close (if it's the tied at 47% poll) that was from last March. That ad has been running for months online.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/19/2024 at 5:26 PM, Ghost of LL said:

He would have to become Joe Manchin in order to be reelected again. Texas will penalize him if he's perceived as too liberal. That's The balancing act he'll have to navigate.

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The absolute worst Allred would be would be an empty suit like Cornyn.  

If he even puts a little work in he'll do fine.

Yep. Allred could spend the entire term doing nothing, but picking his nose and wiping it on people and it would be shit tons better than Ted Cruz. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

24 minutes ago, huge said:

Yall underestimate the disdain for Toad Cruz among most everyone.

I know a million Rs and they all hate him.  I think some will vote for CA just to get rid of Cruz and then vote whatever (non-toad) R shows up next ballot.

Kinda surprised we haven't seen anyone put out "Texas two step" ads pushing this idea yet.  Step 1, kick Cruz to the curb in 2024.  Step 2, elect a real Texan in 2030.

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Either they are giving up on Tester, think Allred has a shot, or they have "fuck you money" and can do whatever they want.

IMHO a combination of all three.

I think it’s combination of the latter two. You can still go all out for Tester. Montana media is pennies on the dollar compared to what it takes to blanket the airwaves in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

Either they are giving up on Tester, think Allred has a shot, or they have "fuck you money" and can do whatever they want.

IMHO a combination of all three.

Or they’re going big and not planning to go home. Why not at least try to get a cushion in the Senate that might allow you to “reform” the Supreme Court?